PDA

View Full Version : TW:Empire

Beta1
09-03-2009, 17:52:04
Anyone playing it yet?

My better half has bought it for me but says I can't have it until she goes to Korea on business next weekend.

Its like being 8 and having to wait for christmas....

Beta1
16-03-2009, 19:54:50
Bloody hell its hard work.

Seems to have got a hell of a lot harder since the middle ages.

Greg W
18-03-2009, 00:38:02
The reviews that I have seen all sound good. And yet the reports I get from people that read the TW Forums seem the polar opposite. So I am very, very wary about getting it.

Beta1
18-03-2009, 16:47:46
I would hold off for a bit - theres a few major gameplay bugs that need ironing. One of them means you can't starve out most cities....

the major problem I see is that its not MTW2, in fact its nothing like it at all - apart form the battle/campaign split it feels like a totally new game. The campaign feels more like a Civ game now but with prebuilt cities. The battle map looks the same but works completely different.

I think half the problem is the usual powergamers not comming to grip with the fact you can't do a feudal knight rush or whatever. Most of the nations have identical troop types so you have to play tactically now, you can't just fall back on a spearwall and longbow for the win.

To be honest I don't know how anyone can have much of an opinion yet - I've played 3-4 hours a night since monday and havn't scratched the surface yet. I don't think I'll have a real feel of what this game is until I'm 50 hours+ in to it.

Greg W
19-03-2009, 02:03:55
I know one of the complaints was a lack of cities. For instance to defeat France, you just have to take Paris. I guess in a game that size, having the density of cities they had in MTW spread on a world stage would become a nightmare over a long campaign, but it still seems a little odd to me.

As it is, I am more caught up with EUIII (plus expansions) at the moment, that I doubt I'll get it until it's in the cheapie bin.