PDA

View Full Version : Penguin error


Tizzy
27-01-2009, 12:39:37
:(

mr_B
27-01-2009, 12:56:16
that have you again :(

King_Ghidra
27-01-2009, 13:18:59
don't worry, not for another 91 years, you'll be dead by then

Tizzy
27-01-2009, 13:27:08
I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years.

King_Ghidra
27-01-2009, 13:35:12
going from infinity to two thousand is quite a compromise

MDA
27-01-2009, 13:47:46
Originally posted by Tizzy
I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years.

:lol:

Resource Consumer
27-01-2009, 14:33:25
I plan to live forever or die trying

Provost Harrison
27-01-2009, 15:33:04
No one wants to live in Antarctica...hence they're better of dead anyway ;)

Oerdin
27-01-2009, 16:59:33
Originally posted by Resource Consumer
I plan to live forever or die trying

Does that mean you're not going to eat your doner kebab?

Oerdin
27-01-2009, 17:02:05
BTW why is is spelled kebab but shish kabob is also correct? Wiki says kebab is meat on a stick but kabob is also a meat on a stick. Is this just another case of British people spelling everything wrong?

Edit: Yep, kebab is UK and kabob is US. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/kabob

I recall someone whining in a previous thread when I spelled it kabob but it seems to be a perfectly acceptable spelling.

Funko
27-01-2009, 17:11:21
to British ears it sounds retarded. We definitely don't say bob.

Sir Penguin
27-01-2009, 17:57:01
Because words from Arabic can be transliterated in different ways. The direct transliteration of کباب could be kabaab, kabāb, kabáb, kebaab, kebāb, kebáb, or other variations, depending how how you write the vowels.

Are you sure you did psy-ops in Iraq?

SP

Immortal Wombat
27-01-2009, 18:12:31
Indeed :hmm:

(although transcribing a long aleph to "o" is pretty retarded)

Sir Penguin
27-01-2009, 19:00:19
It's not that retarded in the American accent.

SP

Oerdin
27-01-2009, 19:35:54
Originally posted by Funko
to British ears it sounds retarded. We definitely don't say bob.

I do like how they have pronunciations read out loud in both American and British English.

Oerdin
27-01-2009, 19:39:26
Originally posted by Sir Penguin
Because words from Arabic can be transliterated in different ways. The direct transliteration of کباب could be kabaab, kabāb, kabáb, kebaab, kebāb, kebáb, or other variations, depending how how you write the vowels.

Are you sure you did psy-ops in Iraq?

SP

I'm well aware of the difficulties of translating words from different alphabets. I'm talking about spelling as well as pronunciation differences in general across the Atlantic. Often even words with identical spellings have different pronunciations; example: aluminum.

Asher
27-01-2009, 19:44:49
Originally posted by Oerdin
I'm well aware of the difficulties of translating words from different alphabets. I'm talking about spelling as well as pronunciation differences in general across the Atlantic. Often even words with identical spellings have different pronunciations; example: aluminum.
Is this a joke?

Aluminum and aluminium are not spelled the same...

Provost Harrison
27-01-2009, 20:44:36
Kabob? What kind of lame shit is that?

Immortal Wombat
27-01-2009, 21:29:16
Originally posted by Sir Penguin
It's not that retarded in the American accent.
I was taking it for granted that the American accent is pretty retarded.

or something

jsorense
27-01-2009, 22:25:18
:mad: What is with this thread jacking?
Let us get back to the happy prospect of penguin extinction.:bounce:

Funko
28-01-2009, 09:04:10
Originally posted by Oerdin
Often even words with identical spellings have different pronunciations; example: aluminum.

:lol:

Oerdin
28-01-2009, 09:15:49
OK, that was a bad example. ;)

Tizzy
28-01-2009, 09:55:25
Originally posted by jsorense
happy prospect of penguin extinction.:bounce:

:eek: :tizzy:

Provost Harrison
28-01-2009, 09:56:02
And what is it with your pronunciation of "missile"? I mean, do you kiss under the missiletoe?

Funko
28-01-2009, 10:06:49
This'll missile.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
28-01-2009, 10:10:22
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
I was taking it for granted that the American accent is pretty retarded.

or something

You can take it for granted that Oerdin is a retarded American in any accent.

Oerdin
28-01-2009, 10:36:00
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/1985/thefingeruj7.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Oerdin
28-01-2009, 10:41:17
And the fucking penguins should die. Especially the knighted ones.

Provost Harrison
28-01-2009, 10:55:54
I remember when there was an advert on the radio for a film called "Hostel"...because it was done in an American accent I wasn't sure whether the film was called "Hostel" or "Hostile" at the time :lol:

jsorense
29-01-2009, 00:25:05
:hmm: Hey, Pengie! Aren't you dead yet?:bash:

Sir Penguin
29-01-2009, 04:52:47
Yes. Do you miss me yet?

SP

King_Ghidra
29-01-2009, 08:54:05
That's not a dead penguin. He's just pining for the ice floes.

Lurker the Second
29-01-2009, 14:56:42
Originally posted by Asher
Is this a joke?

Aluminum and aluminium are not spelled the same...

:lol: I missed this gem.

MoSe
29-01-2009, 15:22:25
Originally posted by Oerdin
OK, that was a bad example. ;)

even better
it was a CounterExample

MDA
29-01-2009, 15:28:28
Its a sapphire!

No, its a geology/gemology goke.

Asher
29-01-2009, 15:53:27
Originally posted by Lurker the Second
:lol: I missed this gem.
We can't expect geologists to know about elements, can we...

Provost Harrison
29-01-2009, 15:55:16
No, least of all the most common metallic element in the Earth's crust :lol:

King_Ghidra
30-01-2009, 09:41:26
no one ever asks me about the most common metallic element in the earth's crust. clearly my circle of friends is lacking.

MoSe
30-01-2009, 09:49:21
sorry, I asked Wiki instead of asking you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abundance_of_the_chemical_elements

Funko
30-01-2009, 09:49:55
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
no one ever asks me about the most common metallic element in the earth's crust. clearly my circle of friends is lacking.

I'll try and ask you tonight.