PDA

View Full Version : I hate this city


Asher
16-01-2009, 14:08:58
News: in Canada, it can GET COLD.
Fact: When it GETS COLD, Toronto FALLS APART.

It was only -20C or so yesterday and water mains started bursting. Apparently one such water main burst at 10pm last night and flooded a transformer room, meaning tons of people in west Toronto were/are without power. I had no power until an hour ago!

This wouldn't be too bad except MY APARTMENT IS FUCKING FREEZING. :gasmaske:

Electric heat is the norm in my area, and it's -20C (-30 with windchill): http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/on-143_metric_e.html

And one side of my apartment is solid glass/window.

As a result IT IS FUCKING COLD.

I would go to work, where I'm told the power is also up, but the subway is down and has been since 10pm last night!

Gong show.

ruGGed
16-01-2009, 14:12:49
lol

Lurker the Second
16-01-2009, 14:24:04
That really sucks big time.

I'd move to San Diego about it.

Asher
16-01-2009, 14:28:47
It was AWFUL. The Flames game was just about to come on when the power came out -- the Flames won in San Jose in regulation, the first time someone beat San Jose at home in regulation in 11 months. And how did I spend this glorious night?

Reading a BOOK (I had to dust it off, it's been so long!) by CANDLELIGHT. Also huddling around it for HEAT.

Asher
16-01-2009, 14:29:31
Originally posted by Lurker the Second
That really sucks big time.

I'd move to San Diego about it.
San Diego isn't an elite city like Calgary yet. They don't even have a hockey team. Come on, even Phoenix has a hockey team. It's such a pathetic fucking city, San Diego...

Asher
16-01-2009, 14:30:35
Apartment is still too damn cold. SOLUTION: Turn on my PC, run Folding@Home on the quad-core CPU and GeForce 8800 Ultra. Heat factory.

Also, running Folding@Home on the PS3 and turning the Xbox 360 on.

I need to make up for all of that lost electricity.

Funko
16-01-2009, 14:34:22
You should light a fire.

Asher
16-01-2009, 14:37:32
We haven't discovered that technology in Canada yet. Why do you think it's so cold here. If we knew how to make fire, we'd just build a big bonfire in Winnipeg with enough heat to heat the rest of the country.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
16-01-2009, 14:39:28
Originally posted by Asher
Electric heat is the norm in my area,

That alone means you suck even more than San Diego.

Asher
16-01-2009, 14:41:19
That's not fair. Toronto and San Diego is in an epic battle for suckitude.

Neither city has an NHL team, either.

Lurker the Second
16-01-2009, 15:02:45
:lol:

MOBIUS
16-01-2009, 15:22:09
Originally posted by Asher
We haven't discovered that technology in Canada yet. Why do you think it's so cold here. If we knew how to make fire, we'd just build a big bonfire in Winnipeg with enough heat to heat the rest of the country.

Use the book you were reading.

Drekkus
16-01-2009, 15:29:45
even with heating, I'd stay in bed if it was -20 outside

Asher
16-01-2009, 15:30:26
I need to pretend to work today, from home.

Drekkus
16-01-2009, 15:32:00
when i "work" from home I never leave my bed anyway

MoSe
16-01-2009, 15:35:56
do you work as a condom tester?

Funko
16-01-2009, 15:36:31
Ah, the relaxed Dutch prostitution laws huh?

Funko
16-01-2009, 15:36:52
DAMN YOU MOSE!

King_Ghidra
16-01-2009, 15:36:52
as a jesus butt plug tester

Drekkus
16-01-2009, 15:37:39
How does a jesus butt plug differ from ordinary butt plugs?

Funko
16-01-2009, 15:38:34
It's in the shape of Jesus.

Funko
16-01-2009, 15:38:59
http://www.divine-interventions.com/baby.php

Oerdin
16-01-2009, 15:39:05
Originally posted by Asher
San Diego isn't an elite city like Calgary yet. They don't even have a hockey team. Come on, even Phoenix has a hockey team. It's such a pathetic fucking city, San Diego...

The reason is we already have a baseball and football team while Anaheim, which is just 60 minutes away, has a hockey team so there is no point putting two hockey teams so close together.

Funko
16-01-2009, 15:40:17
You should make him work a bit harder on his trolls.

Drekkus
16-01-2009, 15:41:15
Originally posted by Funko
It's in the shape of Jesus.

http://home.hetnet.nl/~antoonwierda/plaatjesmap/Jesus%20outstretched%20arms.jpg

So I reckon it doesn't go in head first?

Asher
16-01-2009, 15:41:55
Originally posted by Oerdin
The reason is we already have a baseball and football team while Anaheim, which is just 60 minutes away, has a hockey team so there is no point putting two hockey teams so close together.
There are 3 NHL teams within 60 minutes in some markets...

I'm tired of your fucking excuses. Your city is shit and you know it. You can't even support an NHL team. Sad.

Funko
16-01-2009, 15:41:58
Originally posted by Drekkus
http://home.hetnet.nl/~antoonwierda/plaatjesmap/Jesus%20outstretched%20arms.jpg

So I reckon it doesn't go in head first?

follow the link.

Oerdin
16-01-2009, 15:43:11
Bah, Hockey sucks. Only people who live in crappy cold places care about it.

Drekkus
16-01-2009, 15:43:49
Originally posted by Oerdin
The reason is we already have a baseball and football team while Anaheim, which is just 60 minutes away, has a hockey team so there is no point putting two hockey teams so close together. From where I live, you can cover about 80% of Holland in 60 minutes.

Drekkus
16-01-2009, 15:44:42
and our hockey team beats about anyone in the world.

Oerdin
16-01-2009, 15:45:56
Hockey still sucks.

Asher
16-01-2009, 15:46:10
Originally posted by Oerdin
Bah, Hockey sucks. Only people who live in crappy cold place care about it.
You just don't have the cajones to play hockey in San Diego. Too many hipsters and baseball fans.

It's a man's game, which explains why it is unpopular in a city famous for gay sailors and closeted hipster geologists.

Asher
16-01-2009, 15:46:40
Originally posted by Drekkus
and our hockey team beats about anyone in the world.
It's true, Holland is where all of the hockey greats come from.

San Diego could learn a lot from Holland.

Drekkus
16-01-2009, 15:47:37
No it doesn't. Fast moving sport. It's just not as mediafriendly as the ball is a lot smaller then a football.

Oerdin
16-01-2009, 15:49:07
Football is a man's game. Hockey is a gay dance compared to football which is no doubt why Asher likes it.

Funko
16-01-2009, 15:50:23
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44442000/jpg/_44442581_gazza_jone300s.jpg

Asher
16-01-2009, 15:51:11
Originally posted by Oerdin
Football is a man's game. Hockey is a gay dance compared to football which is no doubt why Asher likes it.
How is football a man's game? It's one of the gayest sports of all. Bend over, shove your ass in someone's face then pass him a ball between your legs? THAT IS NOT NECESSARY. It's too gay, even for me.

Now in hockey, there's regularly fistfights and regularly violent bodychecks and 105mph slapshots of a hard puck to the face.

Football is a bunch of fat fucks wearing excessive amounts of padding bending over and slapping eachother on the ass.

FACT: MrFun and Boris are both 100x more flaming than I am and both are football fans and hate hockey. FACTS.

Drekkus
16-01-2009, 15:51:40
Talking about small balls.

Funko
16-01-2009, 15:51:55
Originally posted by Asher
105mph slapshots of a hard puck to the face.

you can get any kind of porn on the interweb.

Drekkus
16-01-2009, 15:53:01
One thing about hockey is that the astroturf can give you nasty burns.

Asher
16-01-2009, 15:53:46
Originally posted by Drekkus
One thing about hockey is that the astroturf can give you nasty burns.
Not if you freeze it!

Drekkus
16-01-2009, 15:54:57
That would make the field rather slippery I reckon

Lurker the Second
16-01-2009, 16:00:17
Originally posted by Funko
you can get any kind of porn on the interweb.

:lol:

Asher
16-01-2009, 16:02:41
Originally posted by Drekkus
That would make the field rather slippery I reckon
You could leverage this by using skates. It'd even increase the speed of the game.

Drekkus
16-01-2009, 16:04:40
And maybe some more clothing to protect you from freezing. And some protective gear to boost. We can call it ICE hockey!!!

Funko
16-01-2009, 16:07:24
sounds a bit of a pain in the arse. You'd probably have to play indoors to stop the ice melting.

Asher
16-01-2009, 16:10:01
Or you can move to a place with outdoor ice.

Funko
16-01-2009, 16:20:20
Seems like a lot of effort.

Oerdin
16-01-2009, 16:22:29
Not to mention such a place would suck (looks at OP).

Asher
16-01-2009, 16:37:16
Originally posted by Oerdin
Not to mention such a place would suck (looks at OP).
It's certainly far better than having shitty pilots ejecting and dropping their plane on your house, killing your family.

Asher
16-01-2009, 16:37:40
And let's not even talk about San Diego's sky-high murder and violent crime rates.

Lurker the Second
16-01-2009, 16:43:22
Lame retort. I'm disappointed to see your standards slipping.

Asher
16-01-2009, 16:45:35
There's nothing lame about murder.

Lurker the Second
16-01-2009, 16:53:29
Yeah, I was talking about the airplane falling on houses comment. Didn't realize the next page had started.

Asher
16-01-2009, 17:00:14
It happens in San Diego.

San Diego also has a big bullseye on it for some kind of attack when the US next goes to war, being a military center.

Not to mention, it is widely known that UCSD is the worst of the UC schools in terms of academics and in terms of party quality. I've even heard stories of D&D being played at UCSD football parties.

Oerdin
16-01-2009, 18:26:51
Originally posted by Asher
And let's not even talk about San Diego's sky-high murder and violent crime rates.

We're one of the safest cities in America.

Oerdin
16-01-2009, 18:28:21
Also UCSD is kind of lame even if highly ranked. A bunch of nerdy over achievers with no night life or hot chicks to speak off. If you like flat chested Asian chicks who wear glasses then great other wise avoid. That's why I went to UCSB.

Asher
16-01-2009, 18:42:37
Originally posted by Oerdin
We're one of the safest cities in America.
Still has a murder rate many times higher than Calgary or Toronto.

Asher
16-01-2009, 18:45:18
Originally posted by Oerdin
Also UCSD is kind of lame even if highly ranked. A bunch of nerdy over achievers with no night life or hot chicks to speak off. If you like flat chested Asian chicks who wear glasses then great other wise avoid. That's why I went to UCSB.
It's good you are starting to admit to San Diego's faults, because there are many.

You just repeated my comment also, but inelegantly.

self biased
16-01-2009, 22:02:12
why don't you put up some heavy drapes over your window-clad side of your apartment?

Oerdin
16-01-2009, 22:20:27
Now if you want hot chicks you go across town to SDSU where Playboy is always doing shoots because there are hot slutty girls who will take off their clothes for a minimal fee.

MOBIUS
16-01-2009, 23:13:00
Originally posted by Oerdin
We're one of the safest cities in America.

Which means you're probaby in the top 10% of most dangerous cities in the world...

Asher
17-01-2009, 00:20:58
Originally posted by self biased
why don't you put up some heavy drapes over your window-clad side of your apartment?
There's some thick blinds that do the trick mostly, but not the best insulation.

Oerdin
17-01-2009, 00:50:33
Originally posted by MOBIUS
Which means you're probaby in the top 10% of most dangerous cities in the world...

Very doubtful. Ever been to the third world?

Asher
17-01-2009, 01:03:04
Your country is still dangerous. Saying it's better than the third world is cute.

Oerdin
17-01-2009, 01:46:16
It could be worse. We could live in a crap hole city where people don't have fireplaces or heaters that work while it is freezing cold. Now that would be a real shithole.

Asher
17-01-2009, 02:41:14
Do they have fireplaces in a highrise apartments in San Diego?

Oerdin
17-01-2009, 03:26:04
Not sure but I have one in my house and that's all I care about. You live in the tundra though so you should have several fireplaces and a sealskin jacket.

Asher
17-01-2009, 03:36:55
Originally posted by Oerdin
Not sure but I have one in my house and that's all I care about. You live in the tundra though so you should have several fireplaces and a sealskin jacket.
Nah, we're men.