PDA

View Full Version : wind turbine fails in the uk


protein
08-01-2009, 12:47:16
and it's instantly assumed that aliens must be to blame.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lincolnshire/7817378.stm

:bash:

Funko
08-01-2009, 12:51:08
Lights and loud banging = Firework display.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/organgrinder/2009/jan/08/windpower-thesun

protein
08-01-2009, 12:54:51
:lol:

Funko
08-01-2009, 13:11:16
It's annoying that people have started using UFO to mean Alien. If an Unidentified Flying Object were identified as alien it'd no longer be a UFO would it.

MoSe
08-01-2009, 13:12:35
it would be an AFO

protein
08-01-2009, 13:14:38
i think this happened

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7nSB1SdVHqQ

failed breaks and high forces cause turbine to break apart.

either that or a pterodactyl that flew through a rip in the fabric of spacetime.

Funko
08-01-2009, 13:16:59
I think someone was testing a trebuchet by trying to throw a cow carcass over the turbine.

Out of all the explanations I could think of the answer being an alien spacecraft that's good enough to travel between stars but not able to dodge a wind turbine sounds is probably the most ridiculous, but I'd love for people to think of one that's more ridiculous.

protein
08-01-2009, 13:17:06
Originally posted by Funko
It's annoying that people have started using UFO to mean Alien. If an Unidentified Flying Object were identified as alien it'd no longer be a UFO would it.
ufo enthusiasts should really be called "enthusiastic people who would rather look over the dreary and mundane answers to come up with the exciting alien one".

you could call religious people something similar.

protein
08-01-2009, 13:19:57
captain, we are ready for our first wave of invasion.

excellent, those pesky earthlings are going to feel the full force of the Gwatharghhhh.

captain, look! a spinny thing.

my god, they were cleverer than we thought! take evasive action!

IT'S TOO LATE!

great lord Snarv! AAAARRRGGHHHH!!!!

Funko
08-01-2009, 13:21:37
Dunno about the dreary and mundane bit in that case. Most science is much more incredible than any myths or religious ideas us humans could have invented.

eg. Evolution is hardly dreary and mundane compared to creationism. Evolution is absolutely amazing. Something like the evolution of an eye (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_the_eye) I find much more fascinating than "someone designed it".

protein
08-01-2009, 13:45:27
i find it endlessly fascinating that people chose to ignore facts because they've been brought up to value blind faith or because they think that belief is stronger than reality.

Funko
08-01-2009, 13:51:33
Probably the most fascinating thing about that is that if we'd been brought up differently we'd probably be the same.

protein
08-01-2009, 14:27:41
my brother believes in ufos and spirits.

Funko
08-01-2009, 14:46:18
One of mine believes in Raki. Brought up isn't the right. term, implies too much of a link to parents.

Venom
08-01-2009, 15:29:10
Originally posted by Funko
I think someone was testing a trebuchet by trying to throw a cow carcass over the turbine.

Out of all the explanations I could think of the answer being an alien spacecraft that's good enough to travel between stars but not able to dodge a wind turbine sounds is probably the most ridiculous, but I'd love for people to think of one that's more ridiculous.

Tall man wearing a hard hat got lost looking for sheep to fuck.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
08-01-2009, 15:34:57
simple explanation: it was designed by a dutch architect

Oerdin
08-01-2009, 16:36:43
It was under water?

Scabrous Birdseed
08-01-2009, 17:51:28
Originally posted by protein
ufo enthusiasts should really be called "enthusiastic people who would rather look over the dreary and mundane answers to come up with the exciting alien one".

you could call religious people something similar.

I'm not sure this is entirely true. The swedish UFO society, for instance, has the official line that there's no evidence to support extraterrestial explanations for UFOs at all.

protein
08-01-2009, 18:52:48
they don't sound very enthusiastic.

protein
08-01-2009, 18:55:30
lol

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1108973/UFO-experts-believe-mystery-wrecked-wind-turbine-final-proof-alone.html

Oerdin
08-01-2009, 22:59:03
The truth is out there.

Resource Consumer
09-01-2009, 10:40:12
Originally posted by Funko
Lights and loud banging

Sounds like my neighbours.