PDA

View Full Version : The Wrestler

Debaser
06-01-2009, 16:49:59
An excellent film. It's essentially the film that recent Rocky film should have been. Bleak and gritty.

Not sure how much actual "acting" Micky Rourke was doing though...

King_Ghidra
07-01-2009, 09:05:26
definitely want to see this

MOBIUS
07-01-2009, 13:35:15
Me too.

Morte
07-01-2009, 16:23:45
I really enjoyed it...would have liked to have seen some more actual wrestling but it was splendid none the less.

protein
16-06-2009, 22:27:20
just saw this. fucking hell, what an EXCELLENT movie!

amazing. even if like me, you think wrestling is absurd nonsense for retards.

five protein points. :beer:

BigGameHunter
17-06-2009, 06:54:17
It was great...can't wait to see Rourke pull a Downey Jr. and do some other work!

paiktis
31-10-2009, 17:47:37
Just saw this on DVD (the night after a serious car crash that luckily thank god and all his saints - i actually lit a candle in church for that) didn't cost any lives (my car got wrecked but irons can be mended - and a feeling that life 'caught up with me? in a way) and I don't know maybe it was because I was numb - completely numb and in limbo and just devoided of any feeling, be that of fear or expectation of anything, I watched this film in as near as in a state of buddhistic flat existance, maybe I was in line with that cruise through life to the inevitable end, it just cliked with me.
Reqviem for a dream I had watched that with my then girlfriend and found it to be a twisted fucked up film I said what kind of horseshit is this and thanks for a sickening night.
But this film of aranofsky clicked with me and I consider it to be on par with maybe fight club on the list of my best films ever.
Rourke was brilliant, his acting was as deep as required, it is one of these films that obey the mantra less is more.
Aranofsky deals with a wild ineption to escape addictions. But the wrestler actually gave a blissful, meaningful ending to the road the 'ram' took. It made sense, it had meaning.
Depression follows throughout, wrecked lives caused by that, fullblown narcissism but the envoronment of the wrestler basically gave him back a lot of things. Respect, meaning... it was a road of life that maybe he had no option of following but it was the next best thing to an "actual" life. And it was different.
I didn't see the final ram jam as a defeat but as a blistering blinding embrace of making the best of what you can do. Not a surrender to an addiction but a royal stamp on an exceptional limitation.