PDA

View Full Version : Really awful Christmas songs

Fergus & The Brazen Car
24-12-2008, 14:22:56
Last night I had the severe misfortune to hear (for the very first time) a song Destiny's Child released in 2005 at Christmas.

It was loosely based around the traditional '12 days of Christmas' one, but lacked any charm or naivete associated with the original, and appeared vulgar, plodding, tuneless and was in fact just all round shiiiittttteeeetasticcccccaaaallllllyyyyy bad, especially in comparison with any or all of the Phil Spector Christmas album songs.

How fortunate I had been to have missed this three minutes of unparalleled dreck until last night, I am still just appreciating.

Feel free to post your most disliked traditional or 'novelty' Christmas songs and by whom they were desecrated or rendered.

I'd rather listen to Throbbing Gristle's 'Hamburger Lady' at Christmas than endure that Destiny's Child rubbish again.

Debaser
24-12-2008, 17:43:57
Hey Fergus, for once I agree with you, that Destiny's Child song is cynical, fucking awful, bling-by-numbers shit.

Why compare it to A Christmas Gift for You though? It isn't trying for that sound in any way, and most (all?) other Xmas songs would find themselves lacking in comparison.

Resource Consumer
24-12-2008, 22:44:35
Hey! I haven't heard it. :D

Caligastia
26-12-2008, 02:29:51
Jingle Bells is fucking crap.

Scabrous Birdseed
26-12-2008, 13:30:46
This one is quite funny in an awful way:

http://musicformaniacs.blogspot.com/2008/12/worst-christmas-song-ever.html

Fergus & The Brazen Car
26-12-2008, 13:57:30
Originally posted by Debaser
Hey Fergus, for once I agree with you, that Destiny's Child song is cynical, fucking awful, bling-by-numbers shit.

Why compare it to A Christmas Gift for You though? It

Because that album showed how to do Christmas songs in an appealing and up-to-date way, with humour, good feeling and in a way that makes you come away from listening to the album humming, singing or whistling what you've listened to.

I didn't see much point in comparing the Destiny's Child attempt at a Christmas song with Patti Smith's 'Easter' or U2's 'New Year's Day'.