PDA

View Full Version : dreadful second albums

protein
07-12-2008, 19:48:02
following on from the other thread, who blew it? who came out with a promising first album and screwed it and why?

Lazarus and the Gimp
07-12-2008, 22:59:18
The Clash - "Give 'em enough rope"
The House of Love- "The House of Love"
The Jesus and Mary Chain- "Darklands"
Terence Trent Darby- "Neither flesh nor fish"
The Sugarcubes- "Here today, tomorrow, next week"

King_Ghidra
08-12-2008, 09:13:39
Getting worried Protein? :D

King_Ghidra
08-12-2008, 09:15:38
Let me add:

The Vines
The Stone Roses

and i know there's loads more because that's the cliche isn't it. the difficult second album.

Debaser
08-12-2008, 10:28:27
Oasis.

protein
08-12-2008, 11:51:52
i'm very much a lazy "if it ain't broke" type of person at heart. which is creatively unhealthy. as far as i can tell, the bad second albums are when they keep doing the same thing without taking a leap forward.

Lazarus and the Gimp
08-12-2008, 12:13:54
Not really. The bad second album happens when a group get several years to put together their dozen or so best tried-and-tested songs for a debut album. Then get a couple of months to write the follow-up.

Scabrous Birdseed
08-12-2008, 12:53:14
I think Laz's and protein's ideas are both part of the mix. Often a bad follow-up album is one where the rush of energy of that first recording session is lost in a quick follow-up, where neither the band's creativity nor their song material is up to scratch. There's an equivalent problem in stage production where the second night is often the worst, when the success of the first night is turned into complacency and edgelessness. Or writing essays - if you write one brilliant essay you often end up not being able to replicate it with the next one. Or football team seasons - the plucky underdogs succeeding one season will almost always crumble for the next.

There is a Japanese management philosophy called Kaizen which I think has an interesting explanation for this. It states that it's not possible to replicate a success - human psychology will always believe that the success came easier than it did, and will forget the hard work that was put into it. "I wrote a brilliant essay in a week" may be because you thought about its contents for a month before, and when you go for that second essay "in a week" your lack of worrying and thinking beforehand cripples you entirely. The football team forgets that its "coasting" to success was built on hard training and labour. etc. etc.

Kaizen instead suggests that what you need to do is continuously improve. Every detail for the follow-up has to be better than the last effort. Probably a lot to ask, but the current Swedish football champions (that were plucky underdogs five years ago and have almost no support or resources) have applied it with enormous success.

protein
08-12-2008, 13:13:49
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
Not really. The bad second album happens when a group get several years to put together their dozen or so best tried-and-tested songs for a debut album. Then get a couple of months to write the follow-up.

that's true, what happens is that bands are under a huge amount of pressure and start wondering what they should deliver to be cool, make their label and management happy etc.

we've got around that one thankfully.

Mr. Bas
08-12-2008, 15:15:32
I actually like Give 'em enough rope, although I agree that overall it's indeed a weaker album than either their debut or London Calling, in particular the second half of the album is fairly poor. But it's definitely not dreadful in my book.

The best example I can think of, besides those mentioned already, is Gold against the soul by the manics. Not nearly as good as the fine Generation terrorists, and certainly piss-poor compared to the brilliant The holy bible.

Walrus Feeder
09-12-2008, 00:38:05
How about Alanis Morissette's follow up to Jagged Little Pill, the ridiculously named Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie?

Also, Evil Empire from RATM.

MattHiggs
09-12-2008, 08:55:33
Originally posted by Debaser
Oasis.

Whats the Story Morning Glory was a fantastic album.

Resource Consumer
12-12-2008, 19:28:17
Originally posted by Mr. Bas
I actually like Give 'em enough rope, although I agree that overall it's indeed a weaker album than either their debut or London Calling, in particular the second half of the album is fairly poor. But it's definitely not dreadful in my book.

The best example I can think of, besides those mentioned already, is Gold against the soul by the manics. Not nearly as good as the fine Generation terrorists, and certainly piss-poor compared to the brilliant The holy bible.

Agree with Bas here - GTER may not compare with LC but in some ways better than the debut. Far, far from dreadful.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
22-12-2008, 17:18:57
Patti Smith: Radio Ethiopia

But after 'Horses', well....