PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood's lack of imagination

Scabrous Birdseed
27-11-2008, 17:44:34
I just watched the new Bond movie, and the villain is a corporation that works with the CIA to destabilise Latin American governments in order to gain access to resources.

Before the film there was a trailer for a movie called "The International" where the villain is apparently a bank that is able to evade all justice because of its close ties to government.

Geez. Whatever happened to a bit of fantasy and villains that are vaguely unbelievable or over-the-top?

protein
27-11-2008, 19:06:52
i haven't seen the new one but the first one made me think that they'd cast a really great bond but made a crap bourne identity movie. i'll be interested in bond again when the emphasis is on gadgets, humour, villains and action.

Walrus Feeder
27-11-2008, 19:21:33
I saw Quantum Of Solace last week. Decent enough film in it's own right but certainly not a brilliant Bond film. The Bond 'brand' seems to be getting lost in favour of a more brooding character and no gadgets or memorable villains. Agree with previous comment about trying to include some of the substance that made the recent Bourne films so good. Quantum though felt more like The Transporter or Crank.

I can't avoid mentioning the theme tune too. Probably the worst ever bond song. No idea who thought a duet between Jack White and Alicia Keys (good artists in their own right) would work. It sounded appalling and god know who would have bought it as a single. On a more positive not that Olga Kurylenko was fit though.

Funko
28-11-2008, 08:41:36
Originally posted by protein
i haven't seen the new one but the first one made me think that they'd cast a really great bond but made a crap bourne identity movie. i'll be interested in bond again when the emphasis is on gadgets, humour, villains and action.

But they actually went back to the what the original Bond stories were like for it, so really it's more Bond than some of the older movies. The early Connery ones hardly have any jokes or gadgets.

I really liked the first one, but in a totally different way to Roger Moore style Bond. And the last Brosnan one just got totally ludicrous. Invisible car? Surfing down an icy wave generated by the space laser?

Scabrous Birdseed
28-11-2008, 09:43:59
That last bosnan one was truly horrendous. One of the weakest bond's ever, saw it on TV the other day and it was fairly clear why they felt they needed to re-kick-start the series.

But even the earliest bond films would have unbelievable supervillains (Dr. No and the first appearance of Blofeld in the first two). What's next with this new trend though? Bond battles the street kids motivated by hunger? Bond battles the nursing home that has mistreated his elderly mother in her last days?

King_Ghidra
28-11-2008, 10:51:25
Well we've moved beyond the Ian Fleming stuff now so...

mr_B
01-12-2008, 19:44:18
:lol:

protein
15-12-2008, 11:36:36
the best bond film was and always will be the man with the golden gun. props to live and let die for the best music though.

Funko
16-12-2008, 08:50:43
My 4th favourite Bond in it too.