PDA

View Full Version : I just had oral surgery


TCO
25-09-2008, 01:43:34
Cut into my jawbone where a root canal has gone bad. Staereting to hurt and bleed now.

Asher
25-09-2008, 01:58:33
Man up

Greg W
25-09-2008, 02:03:35
I have had a wisdom tooth chiseled out from my jawbone, so I can sympathise somewhat.

JM^3
25-09-2008, 02:15:57
on painkillers?

JM

TCO
25-09-2008, 23:55:52
they gave me narcotics, but I can't use them and drive. pain really not bad, thho.

KrazyHorse
26-09-2008, 02:52:44
I have a date (Oct 9) to remove my 3 remaining wisdom teeth. They're apparently all rotted out from the inside.

One of them is broken off down to the gumline. I can't wait to see how they get that one out.

On a bright note, the dentist I'm using now seems like a smart guy (unlike the last imbecile I had) who also cares a lot about not causing me undue discomfort...also unlike the last imbecile, who sat there picking at a broken tooth until she touched the open nerve (no anesthetic at this point)...which was the worst pain I've ever felt.

Much worse than when I broke my collarbone, or any of the times I broke fingers, or any of the times I tore ligaments in my ankles...

JM^3
26-09-2008, 02:55:36
I Am always afraid of something nightmarish happening with my teeth. But surprisingly I haven't even had a cavity in years, despite only going to the dentist twice in the last ~5 years. It did take them about an hour to clean my teeth last time I went though (a couple weeks ago).

JM

KrazyHorse
26-09-2008, 02:58:01
I went to the dentist for the first time for a real checkup in 10 years a week or two ago (had been twice in those 10 years, but only for emergency intervention when pain got too bad)...

I knew those wisdom teeth had to come out. Also have 3 cavities they're going to fill in my regular teeth

KrazyHorse
26-09-2008, 02:59:50
Honestly, tooth pain bothers me like nothing else. I'm usually not at all a pussy when it comes to injuries, but there's something about the teeth that makes me shake like a little girl...

JM^3
26-09-2008, 03:01:19
Oh yeah, I hate it. And I have nightmares about it on occasion, but so far I have lucked out. Because I haven't always taken good care of my teeth the last 5 years.

JM

KrazyHorse
26-09-2008, 03:02:30
I have most definitely not taken good care of my teeth.

Like I said, no checkups in 10 years, and I don't floss ever (but do brush)

JM^3
26-09-2008, 03:02:31
I think though that you get cleanings for free if you do them twice a year. I will go again in March or something.

It is a bit discomforting, but not like a serious issue. And I think will make it so I worry less about them.

JM

JM^3
26-09-2008, 03:07:46
I don't floss ever either, it is so hard to do.

Honestly, for a short while I didn't even brush all that good, but I am back to a steady once per day.

I have sealants in, without them I would have had many more cavities (I have had 2 in my lifetime?).

I had lots of dental work when I was younger though, lots of braces + jaw growing thing + teeth removal (to make room) + other orthodontia surgeries.

JM

Provost Harrison
26-09-2008, 12:16:25
Yeah, I brush, floss and visit my dentist regularly (yes, I'm British! :p)...still had to have a few fillings though, although to be fair they were more to do with replacing old fillings than anything.

Once one bastard gave me a filling and caused me excruciating agony. Another managed to do complex root canal surgery and I never felt a thing. I'd have stuck with that dentist, only he is in Oxford which isn't very convenient ;)

MOBIUS
26-09-2008, 13:06:19
I recently visited the dentist after an absence of a few years...

Still yet to have my first filling, not to mention a full compliment of wisdom teeth that poked through without any traumas when I was 18. Can't think why they're called wisdom teeth - fat lot of good they've done me so far...

Tizzy
26-09-2008, 13:19:07
I haven't been to a dentist for about 12 years, since just after my braces came off.

Never had any serious work done though (touch wood), I had to have 11 teeth in total removed cos there wasn't enough space in my mouth apparently, then braces to straighten up what was left.
I hated that orthodontist who did the braces, she made me hurt a lot.

MDA
26-09-2008, 13:23:10
Had a friend from China working in the US that went for the first time in his life - they had to schedule a second visit to finish the job. The difference was amazing. :beer:

MoSe
26-09-2008, 13:39:45
Originally posted by MOBIUS
Still yet to have my first filling, not to mention a full compliment of wisdom teeth that poked through without any traumas when I was 18. Can't think why they're called wisdom teeth - fat lot of good they've done me so far...

LOL, ditto for me

KrazyHorse
26-09-2008, 15:27:37
Originally posted by JM^3
I think though that you get cleanings for free if you do them twice a year. I will go again in March or something.

It is a bit discomforting, but not like a serious issue. And I think will make it so I worry less about them.

JM

I didn't have dental insurance until recently.

JM^3
26-09-2008, 15:28:34
My UMD insurance was really cheap?

JM

TCO
26-09-2008, 22:13:39
Take care of your teeth, Kitty.

Provost Harrison
26-09-2008, 22:57:06
Originally posted by MOBIUS
I recently visited the dentist after an absence of a few years...

Still yet to have my first filling, not to mention a full compliment of wisdom teeth that poked through without any traumas when I was 18. Can't think why they're called wisdom teeth - fat lot of good they've done me so far...

They must've helped you beat the Eggheads ;)

Asher
26-09-2008, 23:19:06
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
I didn't have dental insurance until recently.
Sometimes I forget you live in Uganda.

Lancer
26-09-2008, 23:32:18
I had one of my molars removed and a false tooth put in with 'posts' into the bone. I regret that I am no longer completely human. :( I fear that eventually, piece by piece, all that was originally me will be removed and my humanity will go with it.

There, now you know. Somehow I feel lighter.

KrazyHorse
27-09-2008, 20:22:28
Originally posted by TCO
Take care of your teeth, Kitty.

I am, now...

TCO
27-09-2008, 20:23:25
Good man. Just pay the money. I have iinsurance, but you still ned up paying.

Resource Consumer
28-09-2008, 14:51:12
I like the idea of Ned paying for everything :)

MDA
28-09-2008, 18:20:16
Originally posted by Lancer
I had one of my molars removed and a false tooth put in with 'posts' into the bone. I regret that I am no longer completely human. :( I fear that eventually, piece by piece, all that was originally me will be removed and my humanity will go with it.

There, now you know. Somehow I feel lighter.

Queue up Mr. Roboto!

jsorense
28-09-2008, 23:33:15
Originally posted by Resource Consumer
I like the idea of Ned paying for everything :) :lol: Me too!:beer:

KrazyHorse
09-10-2008, 18:49:00
I am now minus three teeth (all wisdoms)

I just went to a stochastic methods class and had to go to the bathroom every ten minutes to spit out blood.

Awesome.

Asher
09-10-2008, 19:03:03
You only had 3 wisdoms?

I had all 4 of mine removed in one go. Same boat with the blood thing. Also, vicodin.

KrazyHorse
09-10-2008, 19:04:17
They didn't give me any vicodin this time. :(

I had one of them out a few years ago. 4 - 1 = 3

KrazyHorse
09-10-2008, 19:06:17
Two of them came out really easy. The last one really hurt even with the anaesthetic, until he tried pulling it out from the other direction. I think the root was pushing on a nerve on one side or something.

Asher
09-10-2008, 19:06:28
4 - 1 = 3
Hold on

Asher
09-10-2008, 19:06:52
Yeah, that checks out.

Asher
09-10-2008, 19:10:53
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
Two of them came out really easy. The last one really hurt even with the anaesthetic, until he tried pulling it out from the other direction. I think the root was pushing on a nerve on one side or something.
You had it easy if it wasn't bad enough to put you under general.

It took them two hours to get mine out (they were impacted), and I was under general anesthetic.

KrazyHorse
09-10-2008, 20:01:16
Still bleeding like a stuck pig. Crap.

Asher
09-10-2008, 20:02:24
Do stuck pigs bleed?

KrazyHorse
09-10-2008, 20:04:36
Apparently so.

Oerdin
09-10-2008, 20:34:18
Originally posted by JM^3
I Am always afraid of something nightmarish happening with my teeth. But surprisingly I haven't even had a cavity in years, despite only going to the dentist twice in the last ~5 years. It did take them about an hour to clean my teeth last time I went though (a couple weeks ago).

JM

Yeah, I hear all these dental horror stories and am so thankful I haven't had any real problems. I got one small surface cavity at age 29 but they fixed that and no problems ever since. My girlfriend has had a fair amount of dental work done and it just sounds painful as hell.

LoD
09-10-2008, 20:45:02
*cue jokes about Oerdin having a manufactured-diamond-coated razor-wire dick*

JM^3
09-10-2008, 23:29:40
So my biggest oral surgery was for them to cut the little connection thingies and remove my wisdom teeth all in one go. This was so that the teeth would stay in the direction my braces had pushed them in.

They put me completely under, when I came to (and there is some black parts, I don't remember anything until right before I got into the car, I don't remember putting on my clothes for example) I was super talkative, despite having blood just leaking from my mouth. I was out of school that friday. I took medication that evening (the heavy stuff) but then jsut went to regular pain medication for the next couple of days and then was completely off by Monday.

I still don't know what happened to my other pain pills. Considering my brother was a bit of a druggy and my mom takes tons of over the counter pain medication I am sure one of them took them.

JM

JM^3
09-10-2008, 23:31:32
Oh, I had a lot of dental work. Just no real cavity type problems (a couple small cavities though, all after the braces came off).

Like I had an appliance that connected the top and bottom which was meant to push out my lower jaw and grow it. That was really painful and annoying. I think this was called the hertz appliance? But that might have been a joke.

And I obviously had braces on the top and bottom. I even played french horn for a time with them on.

JM