PDA

View Full Version : Reading

Kitsuki
10-09-2008, 18:57:53
I have my first school placement for 8 weeks in Reading. Anyone live there?

Oerdin
10-09-2008, 19:39:23
Never heard of it.

The Shaker
10-09-2008, 19:45:07
Not sure it could be called living

Provost Harrison
10-09-2008, 20:28:18
I'm reading some shit on the internet...

mr_B
10-09-2008, 21:01:40
link please

Provost Harrison
10-09-2008, 21:07:11
Most certainly...

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/51129464/Ordinary_Mild_Steel_Chain.jpg

Drekkus
11-09-2008, 07:19:10
So Kitsuki is some kind of gentle giant who roams the land, placing schools wherever he needs to?

Bob
11-09-2008, 07:48:25
Good idea to start in Reading.

Drekkus
11-09-2008, 08:00:47
why?

Funko
11-09-2008, 08:03:53
School placement? Are you becoming a teacher?

Drekkus
11-09-2008, 08:10:01
school placemats are in popular demand

MoSe
11-09-2008, 08:57:50
a school of plaice

mr_B
11-09-2008, 09:57:15
Originally posted by Drekkus
school placemats are in popular demand :lol:

Kitsuki
11-09-2008, 19:21:12
Originally posted by Funko
School placement? Are you becoming a teacher?

I am indeed. Update though - they have decided to send me to Oxford instead - but my placement next term is likely to be in Reading.

Oerdin
11-09-2008, 21:22:53
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/4306/seesawwp8.gif (http://imageshack.us)

MOBIUS
12-09-2008, 01:29:33
Are you going to teach reading...?

(Fuck, that's lame even by my standards!:o)

Provost Harrison
12-09-2008, 05:16:27
No...I'd say that falls within your sphere of lameness...

MoSe
12-09-2008, 06:47:31
a klein bottle of lameness, rather

Kitsuki
24-09-2008, 17:10:05
Originally posted by Kitsuki
I am indeed. Update though - they have decided to send me to Oxford instead - but my placement next term is likely to be in Reading.

Update number two. They have changed their mind again and I am going to be teaching in Reading after all. I am therefore relying on various people (eg Funko) to provide me with Friday afternoon drinking company...

Walrus Feeder
24-09-2008, 17:31:32
I was brought up there. What school is it?

Beta1
24-09-2008, 18:15:16
http://op-for.com/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

Guess what - I've just done my training for mentoring student teachers!

Good job your not at worcester uni!

And good luck on the drinking - you'll be lucky to still be standing by friday afternoon most weeks!

What subject are you going to teach?

Kitsuki
24-09-2008, 18:22:31
I am glad too - I want my tutors to know the difference between your and you're! ;)

Little Heath, Religious Education.

Beta1
24-09-2008, 18:40:33
LOL. Got me.

And you won't care after the first few weeks - you will want your tutor to somehow cram several years of behaviour management into your head in a 5 week placement.

R.E. - should be interesting, depending on the school thats either a very nice job (if they have a decent PHSE system) or a really shit one (if they havn't and they just bung it all on the R.E. dept because SMT think its the same thing).

Either way it shouldn't affect you this year but when your looking for jobs check how much non-R.E. they want you to do. I've seen R.E. teachers end up with massive amounts of other humanities in their timetable which might be good but you really don't need the extra workload in your NQT year.

I'm science so theres not much I can help you with subject wise but if you need help with anything other than speling or gramar ;) then let me know!

Kitsuki
24-09-2008, 18:45:52
Yes, I'm quite wary about that being a problem, though I am looking to teach philosophy if possible too. RE is, like science, a shortage subject at the moment though so hopefully I should have some options!

Thanks for the offer of help! :)

Beta1
24-09-2008, 18:46:23
nearly forgot - the best piece of advice I was ever given ( by my first placement mentor)

Always smile - even with the stroppiest kids. Its pretty much impossible for a kid to stay aggressive/confrontational when theres no aggression coming back. Thats not to say don't give them a good bollocking from time to time but if you do, do it with a smile - there's less lasting damage done.

Also Humor > aggression.

Kitsuki
24-09-2008, 20:11:27
Thanks - other people have said the same and intend to follow it!

(Apart from one odd person who told me not to smile at any students within a term of starting in a new school - definitely wouldn't work with me!)

MOBIUS
24-09-2008, 20:21:35
Make sure you do plenty of flossing then...

*End Is Forever*
24-09-2008, 22:33:12
I knew the legendary Sammels grin would come in useful eventually...

Funko
25-09-2008, 08:13:06
Little Heath is in Tilehurst but it's a pretty good school I think. It might be where my cousins went.

So yeah, you're a few miles to the west of town out there.

When do you start?

King_Ghidra
25-09-2008, 08:33:18
RE WTF

Funko
25-09-2008, 09:40:29
:lol:

Funko
25-09-2008, 09:40:50
My unspoken thoughts.

MOBIUS
25-09-2008, 11:24:06
Isn't Reading a Tory target seat?

Got to get 'em young...

Funko
25-09-2008, 11:26:48
Reading East is already Tory, Reading West probably is a target seat. Was always Tory before '97

MOBIUS
25-09-2008, 11:27:34
There you go then...

Funko
25-09-2008, 11:33:13
Yeah, but I don't know anyone who actually listened in an RE lesson.

mr_B
25-09-2008, 11:58:58
:lol: @ KG

MoSe
25-09-2008, 13:49:38
Little Heath, Religious Education.

Originally posted by Funko
Little Heath is in Tilehurst but it's a pretty good school I think.

LOL, and I thought that Little Heath was a milder slang expression related to Heathen Scoundrel, which was perfectly on topic with Religious Education!!!!

:lol:

so you'll be teaching Religion to Little Heathens, eh?

or Heathen Religion outright?
http://englishatheist.org/godsword8.shtml
http://www.libreriauniversitaria.it/heathen-religion-its-popular-and/book/9780548313503

Debaser
25-09-2008, 20:56:32
RE teachers were always weird. That said, I can still remember how to make a Christingle, so they must have had some effect. Also one year I got to make a church out of matches, araldite, and Games Workshop paint. Pretty cool/nerdy.

Kitsuki
25-09-2008, 21:24:58
RE is pretty different to how people in their thirties were taught it at school...

Yes, it's a very good school, just finished reading the Ofsted report. I start on Tuesday, though next Friday I'm back in uni. Maybe grab a drink the Friday after if you are around?

Funko
26-09-2008, 07:55:48
So, what's it like now? Presumably it's still about the history of different religions and what they believe. Our RE teachers were pretty much the worst teachers in the school, and the lessons were therefore completely shit. Good teachers can make any subject interesting.

Do kids give a shit these days and do it at GCSE or does everyone drop it after year 9?

(I went through the GCSE revision tests on the BBC and they are very easy. Although quite funny in places. I really wanted to answer that

Homosexuality is... g) The aim of every Sikh)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/apps/ifl/schools/gcsebitesize/rs/quizengine?quiz=sikhloveandsextest;templateStyle=r s

Is the Friday after the 10th? Should be ok yeah.

King_Ghidra
26-09-2008, 09:43:02
RE is pretty different to how people in their thirties were taught it at school...

Reassure me. You and the kids spend a couple of hours each week laughing at the ridiculousness of the fairy tales and crazy ideas of these nutcases.

Then you spend five minutes each lesson wrapping up by discussing the incredible achievements and struggles of humanity accomplished without any divine assistance and you all leave the classroom filled with a love for your fellow man based on something tangible and humane.

Bob
26-09-2008, 10:37:11
POLY POLY POLY oh wait ...

Oerdin
26-09-2008, 11:03:44
It's ok, Bob. Even if it is not poly you can still bump this thread:

http://www.counterglow.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41570

mr_B
26-09-2008, 11:26:27
bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob bob

Bob
26-09-2008, 11:36:37
yes?

mr_B
26-09-2008, 11:52:48
my imitation of a gold fish

Dyl Ulenspiegel
26-09-2008, 11:53:28
No to teaching Bobism!

MoSe
26-09-2008, 12:47:13
unless to Jamaicanz