PDA

View Full Version : Dessert Dilemma 2

Scabrous Birdseed
26-08-2008, 21:09:39
I'm not sure if I told you guys about the time I had to make dessert for a vegan and a gluten intolerant woman. (The eventual solution involved fruit and marzipan.)

Now I'm making desert for a lactose intolerant man, a woman allergic to "some fresh fruit" (don't want to pressure her as to what) and another gluten intolerant woman. What would be a good dessert for the three of them? Any solution that involves excluding one of the guests and/or using substitutes like "gluten-free flour" is cheating.

Oerdin
26-08-2008, 21:45:17
I say make a regular dessert, let them go into anaphylactic shock, and realize that evolution is taking its natural course.

jsorense
26-08-2008, 21:46:10
Ch. d'Yquem; 1975.

Oerdin
26-08-2008, 21:48:13
Besides 90%+ of people who claim gluten intolerance are full of shit. Grains made up the vast majority of the human diet for most of our existence and if people truly couldn't eat grains then they'd have died and their genes would be out of the gene pool. It's all nonsense.

Debaser
26-08-2008, 21:49:46
Eat out.

Scabrous Birdseed
26-08-2008, 21:56:22
:brwncard:

Scabrous Birdseed
26-08-2008, 21:58:16
Oerdin: I think the general consensus is that gluten intolerance is due to environmental factors rather than genetic ones.

jsorense
26-08-2008, 22:14:02
Who is this General Consensus and which army does he serve; Kraft?

LoD
26-08-2008, 22:50:10
I have a solution for you: storm out of the kitchen, a bloodied butcher's knife in one hand, a full loaf of freshly-baked bread in the other, and exclaim jubilantly:
"WHO WANTS DESERT!?"

Originally posted by Oerdin
Besides 90%+ of people who claim gluten intolerance are full of shit. Grains made up the vast majority of the human diet for most of our existence and if people truly couldn't eat grains then they'd have died and their genes would be out of the gene pool. It's all nonsense.

Yeah, and what's up with those diabetics? I mean, sugar-free foods are a novelty. Total nonsense, I tell you.

:rolleyes:

Oerdin
26-08-2008, 23:07:27
Originally posted by LoD

Yeah, and what's up with those diabetics? I mean, sugar-free foods are a novelty. Total nonsense, I tell you.

:rolleyes:

Other then type 1 diabetes which people are born with and traditionally would die of before reaching breeding age all other diabetes are the result of people eating to much sugar and not getting enough physical activity. Neither of those were traditional problems humans faced so evolution wouldn't traditionally effect it.

Gluten intolerance on the other hand means people have difficulty digesting grains and THAT would certainly get you killed in short order if 95% of your diet was grain based.

Provost Harrison
26-08-2008, 23:08:00
Stop picking freaky friends, that's my advice ;)

Greg W
27-08-2008, 01:41:40
Besides 90%+ of people who claim gluten intolerance are full of shit.90%+, huh? Speaking of full of shit. :lol:

And I suppose that all these kids with allergies and intolerances these days are also full of shit as well? I'm sure that as babies and young kids, they're making this shit up to get more attention.

I'm no geneticist (though, having a genetic disorder myself, I understand a reasonable amount about genetics and how genes can change from generation to generation, and how partners can either weaken or strengthen genes in your children when mixed with yours), nor am I am dietician or the like. But there's way too many of these cases cropping up these days to pass off as merely people making shit up to get some attention or feel good about themselves.

I think that our dietary changes and also quite possibly our environment are causing the majority of them. Also the fact that we have evolved to the stage that genetic imperfections no longer result in death, like they would have hundreds of years ago.

So, someone develops (for instance) type 1 diabetes, and rather than dying, we keep them alive through the "wonders" of modern medicine and technology. They grow old and they pass it on to their kids.

And, having a genetic disorder myself, these things are not stable you know. They often degenerate as each further generation potentially weakens (or strengthens) the gene pool. And we are at the stage now where IMHO there are so many more "weak" genes out there that these things are cropping up more and more.

So, yeah, 500 years ago (possibly even 100 years ago), people with a Gluten intolerance would have died out. However with medical and scientific breakthroughs, this no longer happens. And as genes become potentially weaker and we change to suit our new diets, more and more cases pop up.

I am not stating that there aren't some people out there who are trying to go with the trend. There's a bloke at work who suddenly started preaching about the evils of gluten and breads in particular, and suddenly developed a Gluten intolerance. I just had a quiet chuckle at him, cos he was obviously reacting to something he read or was told.

But, simply stating that 90%+ of people claiming to be Gluten intolerant based on the arguments you have given is just a tad specious.

Greg W
27-08-2008, 01:42:49
As for the desert... Jeese. Give them some caramel. :D

MoSe
27-08-2008, 07:42:49
with dry fruits, say raisins or almonds

Lazarus and the Gimp
27-08-2008, 08:10:54
Gluten intolerance on the other hand means people have difficulty digesting grains and THAT would certainly get you killed in short order if 95% of your diet was grain based.

Yeah! They'd have been left with a life expectancy of about 30 and an infant mortality rate of over 50%!

Oh, hang on...

LoD
27-08-2008, 08:11:20
Other then type 1 diabetes which people are born with and traditionally would die of before reaching breeding age [...] Neither of those were traditional problems humans faced so evolution wouldn't traditionally effect it. [...]

Funko
27-08-2008, 08:15:45
Maybe Oerdin should start a new thread for making up bullshit about diet.

Back on topic:

Why is gluten free flour cheating?

Presumably it's not cheating if the original recipe calls for a gluten free flour?

In which case, how about Turkish delight?

http://thefoody.com/sweets/turkishdelight.html

MoSe
27-08-2008, 10:54:52
yeah, Turks Fruit -aka- Turkish Delight (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070842/)

MOBIUS
27-08-2008, 13:32:06
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
Stop picking freaky friends, that's my advice ;)

Seconded.:D

I'm skeptical of a lot of people with supposed allergies these days - everyone seems to have one now as if its some sort of fashion badge...

MoSe
27-08-2008, 15:04:14
I all of a sudden fell victim of a whole lotta serious food allergies at 14
They all almost totally receded around 18

(rice, chicken, pork, tomato, garlic, onion, nuts, oats, apples...)
it wasn't a fashionable experience at all

Greg W
27-08-2008, 15:10:56
So, you had a difficult puberty is what you are saying...

MoSe
27-08-2008, 15:25:51
at school organised trips, I had to eat just mozzarella and lettuce or white pasta when others were getting the most tasty and elaborated sauces...

just the hint of garlic in the pasta sauce, or a single crumble of nut or hazelnut in a cake made me all swollen, with risks for breathing (Quincke edema)
The swelling took a couple days to reabsorb, the swollen eyelids made me look like a Chinese

The only way it could have helped, is that it also added girth to my penis

MDA
27-08-2008, 15:56:55
90% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I think gluten intolerance is pretty rare, I've only heard of 3 people that have it. Two of them my mother counseled on diet as part of her job as a clinical nutritionist/registered dietician (two in eight years of work), and the third is Spartak (I think?).

Its important to note that its usually wheat gluten that's the issue for gluten intolerance. Gluten from most other grains is different enough to not cause a reaction.

If I remember right, rice or corn is fine.

MDA
27-08-2008, 16:01:59
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coeliac_disease

Wiki is smarjter than me.

this in no way helps with the dessert question, sorry :(

Scabrous Birdseed
27-08-2008, 16:20:15
We're thinking of doing both pie and chocolate mousse, so everyone gets something.

Funko
27-08-2008, 16:21:39
Making 2 desserts is definitely cheating.

Scabrous Birdseed
27-08-2008, 16:22:08
Yes.

Greg W
27-08-2008, 16:25:40
Show some balls and ask the fresh fruit woman what fruit she's allergic to, and make fruit salad out of the rest. If she's going to be allergic to some fruits, she should be thick skinned enough to be able to answer questions about which ones.

Funko
27-08-2008, 16:27:32
If the turkish delight doesn't appeal what about a sorbet?

Champagne sorbet (or other sparkling wine) maybe to make it a bit posher, also has the advantage of being quite easy to make.

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/food/recipe/detail.htm?recipeid=4866

Funko
27-08-2008, 16:27:59
Or Jelly/Jello.

LoD
27-08-2008, 17:48:05
Or this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kissel

If you're interested, I may ask for a recipe.

JM^3
27-08-2008, 18:16:54
sticky-rice?

JM

Oerdin
27-08-2008, 18:32:27
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
Yeah! They'd have been left with a life expectancy of about 30 and an infant mortality rate of over 50%!

Oh, hang on...

We're not talking about modern medicine but instead we're talking about traditionally. I think I have made that abundantly clear.

LoD
27-08-2008, 18:49:44
Abundantly clear and abundantly inconsistent.

Oerdin
27-08-2008, 18:51:48
Originally posted by LoD

Lod are you completely unable to comprehend the difference between diabetes and gluten intolerance? I've shown how one would have been a show stopper while type 2 diabetes is a new event due to life style choices of modern people. It's not complicated so I'm sure you can figure it out if you tried.

Oerdin
27-08-2008, 18:55:26
Originally posted by MDA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coeliac_disease

Wiki is smarjter than me.

this in no way helps with the dessert question, sorry :(

From the first link: "It is estimated to affect about 1% of all Indo-European populations"

And yet up to 15% of people are now claiming to be gluten intolerant. Scientifically speaking 14/15ths of these people are full of shit.

mr_B
27-08-2008, 19:03:30
Originally posted by Funko
If the turkish delight doesn't appeal what about a sorbet?

Champagne sorbet (or other sparkling wine) maybe to make it a bit posher, also has the advantage of being quite easy to make.

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/food/recipe/detail.htm?recipeid=4866 orrr a prosecco sorbet without ice

damn i am brilliantly brilliant

JM^3
27-08-2008, 19:05:46
I Think that maybe there are more people who find gluten to be mildly unpleasent, but aren't intollerant to it.

JM

Lazarus and the Gimp
27-08-2008, 19:06:37

And yet up to 15% of people are now claiming to be gluten intolerant.

How far up to 15%?

mr_B
27-08-2008, 19:07:07
a new ultimate high !!!!!

did it hurt?

Scabrous Birdseed
27-08-2008, 19:25:48
Oerdin: Also from the links:

"A 2005 prospective and observational study found that timing of the exposure to gluten in childhood was an important risk modifier. People exposed to wheat, barley, or rye before the gut barrier has fully developed (three months after birth) had five times the risk of developing coeliac disease over those exposed at 4 to 6 months. Those exposed later had a slightly increased risk relative to those exposed at 4 to 6 months. [...] A meta-analysis indicates that prolonging breastfeeding until the introduction of gluten-containing grains into the diet was associated with a 52% reduced risk of developing coeliac disease in infancy."

Which, with the reduction in breast feeding and the introduction (at least here) of cereal-based replacements and cereal-containing baby food would seem to make LoD's comparison perfectly apt.

LoD
27-08-2008, 19:36:44
Lod are you completely unable to comprehend the difference between diabetes and gluten intolerance? I've shown how one would have been a show stopper while type 2 diabetes is a new event due to life style choices of modern people. It's not complicated so I'm sure you can figure it out if you tried.

Whoa, feisty!

You spoke about diabetes in general. I pointed out the inconsistency in your argumentation. QED.