PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Knight

Debaser
28-07-2008, 23:45:22
Hmm. Well it's not bad, but I think I was expecting a bit more.

Bad things:
It takes itself very seriously, probably could do with being a bit shorter, and the whole Two-face thing at the end seems a bit pointless and (worse) boring. Also for a film that tries very hard to be complex and grown-up I thought it hammered its message home in quite a heavy handed manner, almost patronisingly so. And Batman has a very silly voice, not sure if it's any worse than in the first Nolan film though.

Good things:
It's very stylishly shot, very slick, very dark. The Joker's pretty cool, the score's pretty cool (I never normally notice), most of the stunts and set pieces are big and imaginative and impressive, and Maggie Gyllenhaal is better than Katie Holmes.

The Debaser verdict: 3.5/5

Drake Tungsten
29-07-2008, 00:56:50
I disagree on Maggie Gyllenhaal. She may be a better actress than Katie Holmes, but she's not nearly attractive enough to be believable as a love interest for Bruce Wayne or Harvey Dent. Katie Holmes would've been better, especially since she and Aaron Eckhardt already had a sex scene together in Thank You For Smoking.

mr_B
29-07-2008, 15:57:59
i really really enjoyed it
AWESOME film,

G's verdict: 4.5/5

Nills Lagerbaak
30-07-2008, 07:33:44
Agree with Debaser. I saw the 2-face things coming a mile off, and it did seem a bit contrived. I think he should have been left to become the baddie in the next one.

Batman's voice was appalling, I think he should have spoken in clicks and bleeps like a real bat, with subtitles.

Joker was very impressive though, he was dark.

novacane
30-07-2008, 13:20:48
Not one for these types of film but I found it OK. The flaws mentioned here are right. Fucking relentless coin tossing. Heath Ledger was excellent and for once the hype is justified. The film would have been incredibly ordinary without that charisma.

MOBIUS
01-08-2008, 15:17:27
My verdict on this film is basically a combination of Debaser, Nils and novacane's comments...

The thing that probably annoyed me most was Batman's comedy voice - was it as bad as this in the 1st movie??? I can't remember and I'm sure I would about something as bad as that!

7.5/10

alsieboo
01-08-2008, 22:29:36
I really enjoyed it, although it was far far too long, I had to get up and stretch my legs half way through! I did keep looking at heath and thinking "You're dead" which did ruin it a bit for me, but I was only thinking it because he wasn't at all like he was in all the other films he's done.

I think Maggie maybe wasn't the best choice, but Katie Holmes would have annoyed me so much more. Christian Bale was far too arrogant for my liking when he wasn't being batman.

I must say though, I didn't see the bit where police man Gordon bloke 'dies' coming, but the rest of the film was quite predictable. Loved the bit at the beginning though where they're robbing the bank and they have to kill off the other person after they've done their bit and they didn't realise the joker was with them, love to try that myself :p

mr_B
02-08-2008, 16:34:05
yaaay that was funny, nono I've to kill the busdriver

what busdriver?

Venom
04-08-2008, 11:47:53
Very good movie. I don't think Ledger was quite Oscar caliber but he's far and away the best joker ever in film or TV. Really showed why the Joker was so terrifying and Batman's ultimate nemesis.

Funko
18-08-2008, 12:07:16
I liked it... Heath Ledger was awesome as the Joker. I think the Two Face story could have been a film in it's own right, so we could have concentrated on The Joker. As it was it felt like Batman/Bruce Wayne hardly got any screen time. Not that he really deserved any.

Agree that although Maggie Gyllenhaal is a good actress she didn't really suit the role. And I still think that Michael Caine is totally wrong as Albert.

But Dent/Two Face was great so I'll give it 3.5/5 with the bad guys getting 4.5 and the good guys letting the side down with 2.5

Walrus Feeder
21-08-2008, 20:26:30
Saw it only tonight. Finished work at 5.30, couldn't be fucked to queue in drizzle for tram so went across the street to the cinema.

Agree with first few comments about it being too long and trying to be a bit serious and of course Batman's silly voice. The best character by far is The Joker, acted superbly by Ledger but not the sort of part that it likely to be traditional Oscar winning material. Loved the bit when he trundles out of the hospital in nurses uniform as everything's exploding around him.

Got a bit fed up with the whole Dent storyline to the end and thought the film fizzled out a bit. Interesting to see they used Chicago (although not the signature landmark skyscrapers) as the backdrop. It's a much more modern looking city than New York. Loved the bits earlier in the film with Honk Kong skyline too.

3.5/5 i reckon.

self biased
21-08-2008, 22:05:00
the way they did the harvey dent character was nearly identical to the comic books. i thought that they did a perfect job with the fall from grace for the character. i only noticed when i watched it the second time that dent is still alive at the end of the film.

that i saw it twice in a cinema should say what i think about the film.

Venom
22-08-2008, 04:19:36
It was well done, just crammed in at the end of an already long, semi-bloated film.

I still enjoyed it a lot, it just felt like it should have ended about 20 minutes before it did.

Scabrous Birdseed
19-12-2008, 20:49:27
I just saw it and I'm not a fan at all. The plot was really hackneyed and predictable (with really clumsy foreshadowing and huge plot holes), and cobbled together from sources like The Dark Knight Returns, Tim Burton's second Batman film and (tiresomely enough) the Saw series. Yawn. Plus unlike Mike (http://tinyurl.com/4ao42j) I didn't think they captured the character of Batman well at all - this one was too symbolic and too idealistic, like some sort of (ooh, there's another source) V. Batman is meant to be cynical on the outside and emotionally damaged on the inside, surely, not this calculated.

Plus I can't begin to say how much I hate Hans fucking Zimmer's soundtrack. And the production design. At least Tim Burton had some sort of vision.