PDA

View Full Version : Roguelikes

King_Ghidra
12-06-2008, 08:41:07
I know a fair few people have played various roguelikes before, e.g. the angband challenges of the past

last night i downloaded nethack and had a bit of a play through and thought it was quite fun. i was particularly impressed to see it had a more attractive 2d graphics engine rather than the ascii stuff, and i see that people gave even written isometric and 3d engines for it.

so what i'm after are some opinions and suggestions on other good roguelikes, particularly those with a few concessions to pretty graphics, or those with interesting class systems/gameplay

MDA
12-06-2008, 11:20:55
there was a graphically upgraded angband/zangband called angbandTK, but I think its no longer maintained - I remember the guy just dropped off the net without a word around 9-11 and everyone thought he might have been caught in it.

http://www.thangorodrim.net/ <-- has a bunch of *band variants, and probably links to other stuff of interest, but looks like it hasn't been updated in some time

Sir Penguin
12-06-2008, 16:17:34
When I play a Roguelike I play ZAngband 2.4. I played it a lot at work until the Great Data Loss of 2008 blew away my level 45 savefile. It's got some graphical capability, but I don't know how it compares to other variants. Same with gameplay for that matter.

Has anybody run variants other than Z 2.4 on Vista? Z doesn't work without a font hack that makes it look terrible, and I wonder if other variants suffer from the same problem.

SP

King_Ghidra
13-06-2008, 08:10:10
I found a crawl variant, stone soup or something. pretty fun.

MoSe
13-06-2008, 11:25:08
IIRC the last challenges SP organised here (which I missed), the ones with teleporting molds or something, were based on a different engine, ToME, or something

King_Ghidra
13-06-2008, 12:07:39
ToME standing for Teleporting Mold Engine presumably

MDA
13-06-2008, 14:44:23
of course!

its was actually something "of Middle Earth", I think

and they may have been told to change the name by some nasty lawyers/trolls

Sir Penguin
13-06-2008, 17:30:50
Tales.
Originally posted by MoSe
IIRC the last challenges SP organised here (which I missed), the ones with teleporting molds or something, were based on a different engine, ToME, or something
Qaj organized them. I just had a lot of time on my hands so I always won. :D Whoever won the previous challenge was in charge of picking the variant used for the next. I think we mostly played Zangband 2.4.

SP

King_Ghidra
08-12-2008, 09:12:59
Now have Rogue for iphone. :cool: