PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Jones IV

Drake Tungsten
23-05-2008, 07:44:05
It's not nearly as bad as some of the critics are making out. There are a few moments that stretch the viewer's disbelief too far, but on the whole it's an entertaining and worthy addition to the franchise. Better than Temple of Doom, unless you find psychic Russians and aliens to be campier and less appealing than Thugees who pull out people's hearts with their bare hands...

Debaser
23-05-2008, 08:34:20
Nothing wrong with Temple of Doom. Don't believe the revisionists.

Funko
23-05-2008, 08:55:21
The scene with the meal full of creepy crawlies freaked me out. Other than that, great.

King_Ghidra
23-05-2008, 10:15:04
guy at work's verdict: 3/5 too much cgi, too many thrills (!) trying a bit too hard, but still good fun

both guardian reviewers said 2/5

mr_G
23-05-2008, 11:54:52
taaaadaa taaaa daaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Funko
23-05-2008, 12:30:09
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
too many thrills (!)

:confused:

Drake Tungsten
23-05-2008, 17:55:31
guy at work's verdict: 3/5 too much cgi, too many thrills (!) trying a bit too hard, but still good fun

That's pretty much my take, as well.

On the "too many thrills" point, like I said earlier, there's a few moments that are so over the top that it ruins your sense of disbelief and takes you out of the movie for a bit. The movie would've been better if they'd scaled down the thrills a bit and made them less unrealistic.

MOBIUS
23-05-2008, 22:34:53
This movie was utter shite!

Virtually the whole movie didn't just stretch the viewer's disbelief too far - but nuked the absolute fuck out of it!!!

Shite central premise, too much CGI, too much way out disbelief, utterly cartoon caricatured villians - pathetically so! If I were Cate Blanchett I would have committed suicide on the spot the moment I saw the finished article!

This piece of bile has Lucas' fat grubby little fingers all over it - this whole film is reminiscent of how Star Wars: Phantom Menace compared to the original 3 movies. Jesus Christ, I wasn't even expecting anything but an average film at most in the first place.

1/5

Drake Tungsten
23-05-2008, 23:21:45
Whew. I know I must be right now that Mobius has come down on the other side...

MOBIUS
26-05-2008, 20:51:41
I bet you liked the Phantom Menace as well...:rolleyes:

Drake Tungsten
27-05-2008, 07:52:31
The Phantom Menace wasn't bad when Jar Jar and Jake Lloyd weren't on screen. I'd give it a C overall.

Indy IV was much better, give it a B.

MOBIUS
27-05-2008, 11:00:26
Now you're just trying to wind me up...:p

Drake Tungsten
28-05-2008, 09:28:32
I never would've pegged you as one of those nerds who bitches and moans about how George Lucas raped your childhood...

Walrus Feeder
29-05-2008, 19:28:32
Saw it earlier. Enjoyed it but agree with all the comments about suspending your disbelief during the action set pieces etc. If the film didn't have the Indy factor it could have been National Treasure 3. Give me Ford over Cage any day though!

MOBIUS
29-05-2008, 20:03:37
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
I never would've pegged you as one of those nerds who bitches and moans about how George Lucas raped your childhood...

That's why males under 18 like Indy IV the most and that the older people are, the less they like it...:p

Asher
31-05-2008, 17:50:22
Originally posted by MOBIUS
This movie was utter shite!

Virtually the whole movie didn't just stretch the viewer's disbelief too far - but nuked the absolute fuck out of it!!!

Shite central premise, too much CGI, too much way out disbelief, utterly cartoon caricatured villians - pathetically so! If I were Cate Blanchett I would have committed suicide on the spot the moment I saw the finished article!

1/5

I take it you've never seen the prior Indiana Jones movies?

Maybe you should watch them again. They've always been tongue-in-cheek implausible adventure flicks, and this is no different. The key to enjoying the movies is being smart enough to recognize it's a fantastical, mystical world the movie is set in and expecting a lot of things that "just work" at "just the right time" in order for the good guys to win.

protein
01-06-2008, 10:54:36
when you are eight you take the original films as completely normal, but indiana jones films have all been ridiculously fantastical. this one tops the lot!

the stunts in the film were enough to keep me happy. good enough to rival the first film.

MOBIUS
01-06-2008, 18:21:56
Originally posted by Asher

Maybe you should watch them again. They've always been tongue-in-cheek implausible adventure flicks, and this is no different. The key to enjoying the movies is being smart enough to recognize it's a fantastical, mystical world the movie is set in and expecting a lot of things that "just work" at "just the right time" in order for the good guys to win.

Actually I just watched all three on TV in the run up to the release. I never tire of watching them when they're on, even The Temple of Doom, which is a bit ropey IMO...

This just plumbs the depths of excrement and pushes the boat out on mystical and fantastical. The other three are firmly in the realms of implausibility, whereas Crystal Skull is mostly utterly impossible made up bollocks I wouldn't even expect a five year old to own up to writing...

Asher
02-06-2008, 02:46:11
I think you're tasteless.

Sir Penguin
02-06-2008, 03:34:11
Impossibility? In a movie??? Danger! Danger!

SP

MOBIUS
02-06-2008, 21:36:03
Not just impossibility, but impossibly impossible impossibility...:eek:

Immortal Wombat
19-06-2008, 19:27:59
http://www.the-editing-room.com/indianajones4.html
(spoilers)

MOBIUS
19-06-2008, 22:47:01
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! Nail on the Head!:beer:

To illustrate this, SHIA LEBEOUF flies up into the FUCKING JUNGLE and swings like FUCKING TARZAN along the FUCKING VINES with a FUCKING ARMY of CGI FUCKING MONKEYS. That actually FUCKING HAPPENS.

What a stupid, useless fucking movie!

Sir Penguin
19-06-2008, 22:50:59
See, that sounds pretty awesome. He's like Wesley Crusher reborn.

SP

MOBIUS
20-06-2008, 11:50:41
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAH!

Wesley. Fucking. Crusher!

MoSe
20-06-2008, 12:15:41
I think you're tasteless.
ach so.

When did you taste him?

mr_B
24-06-2008, 16:01:28

Maybe you should watch them again. They've always been tongue-in-cheek implausible adventure flicks, and this is no different. The key to enjoying the movies is being smart enough to recognize it's a fantastical, mystical world the movie is set in and expecting a lot of things that "just work" at "just the right time" in order for the good guys to win. little prick

mr_B
24-06-2008, 16:02:13
Originally posted by Sir Penguin
Impossibility? In a movie??? Danger! Danger!

SP :lol: