PDA

View Full Version : Roamin' Holiday

RedFred
10-04-2008, 01:36:41
In May we will be spending some time walking along the LDP along the Welsh coast & another week in London. So give me your free advice.
;)

When I went 11 years ago bank debit cards were useless even with the international feature activated, so I relied on travellers' cheques and my credit card. Still the same?

Most prices were about twice as expensive as here. For example you can get a great dinner for $10 to $20 here. Would a (well, I won't use the word great, it is the UK) fairly decent meal cost 10 to 20 Pounds?

We always wanted to see Carhenge, but with no trip planned to the States in the near future we are thinking of going to the one made of rocks in England. Is it a worthwhile day trip from London?

Thanks in advance for a few intelligent replies.

Greg W
10-04-2008, 01:55:21
I thought Stonehenge was very much so worthwhile, but then my ex wife didn't - she just saw it as a bunch of stones in the ground. Depends on whether you're likely to be impressed by the mystery of it all. If you are, I'd so go for it. If not, then not...

Avebury nearby is arguably even better, though I didn't make it there myself.

http://hyperstition.abstractdynamics.org/archives/postcard-avebury.jpg

Immortal Wombat
10-04-2008, 02:20:48
Debit cards should work, though it used to be that Visa and Mastercard were more accepted than AmEx. Not sure if this is still the case. Then again, in Wales, you might be best off with cash, or cowry shells, or something.

I'd second what Greg said about Avebury. There's a range of things to see there, far easier to spend a day, though it isn't quite as immediately spectacular as Stonehenge. There're barrows and some ~terrifically exciting~ man-made hills as well as the stone circles. And you can actually walk through the sites. At Stonehenge there's a fence.
Stonehenge is also being excavated (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7322134.stm) at the moment, though I think that will have finished by May.

Vincent
10-04-2008, 05:02:47
Originally posted by Greg W
bunch of stones in the ground.
Is it not?

Koshko
10-04-2008, 06:41:55
A few of the stones are on top of other stones, so No.

Funko
10-04-2008, 08:50:32
Originally posted by RedFred
When I went 11 years ago bank debit cards were useless even with the international feature activated, so I relied on travellers' cheques and my credit card. Still the same?

No, your debit card should be fine, definitely if it's got a Cirrus logo or it's a Maestro or Visa debit. My bank website has a lot if info about where it's cards are accepted abroad, might be the best first point of call?

Visa and Mastercard credit cards are almost universally accepted anywhere that'll take cards, AmEx slightly less so.

Most prices were about twice as expensive as here. For example you can get a great dinner for $10 to $20 here. Would a (well, I won't use the word great, it is the UK) fairly decent meal cost 10 to 20 Pounds?

Yes that's a good ballpark. A pub lunch with a beer is probably 8-12. A 2 course evening meal with wine I'd say 25 per head. You can pay a lot more than that though, especially in London but you can also easily get a sandwich or something for lunch for much less.

The general standard of food should be much better than 11 years ago too.

We always wanted to see Carhenge, but with no trip planned to the States in the near future we are thinking of going to the one made of rocks in England. Is it a worthwhile day trip from London?

As the others have said, I think so. Do Stonehenge and Avebury on the same trip.

Funko
10-04-2008, 08:55:01
Let us know if you fancy having a drink in London whilst you are here. :beer:

MoSe
10-04-2008, 10:56:40
Originally posted by Funko
Do Stonehenge and Avebury on the same trip.
As we did last time I was there!

IIRC MOBIUS had posted online a few CG pics from Avebury, at the time

Funko
10-04-2008, 11:37:55
My main memory of Avebury is of quite painful horizontal freezing rain.

MOBIUS
10-04-2008, 11:44:20
In May we will be spending some time walking along the LDP along the Welsh coast & another week in London. So give me your free advice.
;)

LDP. Long Distance Path? Pembrokeshire Coast Path?

I was sort of there last week, visiting a bunch of places from Aberaeron to Cardigan. Very nice it was too and I particularly recommend Aberaeron as a place to visit/stay.

I know nice places all around that path, so it's a question of what sort of things you'd like to see before reeling off a bunch of places.

Thanks in advance for a few intelligent replies.

At the danger of sounding a bit controversial, I'm not sure if it is worth coming all the way out from London to see them. Unless you can do them on your way to/from Wales.

They are both quite tricky to get to without your own transport and at least a couple of hours out of London. Last time we all had a CG meet at Reading and drove from there. This might be quite a good excuse for a CG meet, depending on the logistics?

Kitsuki
10-04-2008, 13:01:59
I actually agree with Mobius - making a big trip out just for the sake of Stonehenge might be a bit of a let down. I understand the historic significance etc, but there isn't an awful lot to see.

Funko
10-04-2008, 13:06:33
In North American terms the trip from London to Stonehenge is a short journey. It's what, 2 hours drive from central london?

RedFred
10-04-2008, 13:40:19
Wow! Intelligent replies!

Agreed on the distance - it is not a problem for a couple hours journey. I'll check the logistics on visiting Avebury and Stonehenge in one day.

Yes - we are doing part of the Pembrokeshire Coast path. I did the okay section and the pretty darned good section last time I was in the UK but not the totally excellent section. So I convinced my wife that it would be fun (she is now in 'training'). I think we start near St. David's and wind up at St. D...something else. Dogsbreakfast? I'd have to check.

I am happy to meet up with any interested CeeGee-ers in London. By meeting people from the internet I could reach a transcendant level of nerdiness. I'll figure out when I'm there and let you know.

I'll look into the bank card thing. I don't have much hope given that we switched from a national bank to the local Credit Union.

Tizzy
10-04-2008, 13:52:17

I am happy to meet up with any interested CeeGee-ers in London. By meeting people from the internet I could reach a transcendant level of nerdiness. I'll figure out when I'm there and let you know.

I'll be there!!

(that'll teach Venom to go away)

Funko
10-04-2008, 15:35:04
What date's good for a London meet? Tizzy and I are slightly tied up in May. The inlaws are coming down and various other things I can't quite remember now.

MOBIUS
10-04-2008, 23:03:52
Wow! Intelligent replies!

Agreed on the distance - it is not a problem for a couple hours journey. I'll check the logistics on visiting Avebury and Stonehenge in one day.

You're basically talking about wiping out a whole day from your itinerary. You'll need a hire car too. If you do decide to do it, I seriously recommend a trip to Salisbury Cathedral for the Magna Carta and the awesome guided tour into the roof and spire. Old Sarum as well if you're that way and can leave London early enough (good excuse to avoid traffic!).

Yes - we are doing part of the Pembrokeshire Coast path. I did the okay section and the pretty darned good section last time I was in the UK but not the totally excellent section. So I convinced my wife that it would be fun (she is now in 'training'). I think we start near St. David's and wind up at St. D...something else. Dogsbreakfast? I'd have to check.

St Dogmael's. I was there last week being traumatised by repeatedly witnessing episodes of violent duck rape (duck on duck that is!!!:eek: ).

That part of the coast is indeed awesome and particularly wild. Near St David's? Make sure you take in Solva as well then.

I'm not likely to head out as far as London (though I am there tomorrow to appear on Eggheads...;) ), but if you decide to make the trip to Wiltshire on a weekend (depending which one!), might I suggest the possibility of a Reading meet plus trip out like we did at the previous meet?

Greg W
11-04-2008, 02:07:39
Red, take everything the Poms say about distances with a slight grain of salt. I remember when I told them my itinerary for driving around the UK, they told me I was nuts (which is true, just not for the reasons they were stating), and I was only averaging 3-400kms a day.

I drove from London and took in a few hours at Windsor Castle and then did Stonehenge and drove about an hour or two further out in a day. So it's perfectly doable in a day, albeit a long day.

RedFred
11-04-2008, 02:45:58
Thanks Greg, but based on other comments, I am beginning to think Stonehenge isn't the best idea to burn up a whole day. We don't have much old stuff over here so we might look into a castle tour instead. I have only seen the insides of one in the UK (on the Isle of Wight about 30 years ago) and my wife has not seen any. Any good castles near London?

Funko - I know I'm in London from some point on May 25th to June 1st but we are staying with my mother-in-law. She mentioned that she has a few plans including wanting us to have a concert or theatre night. So I need to find out what day is good from her. Probably this weekend.

Funko
11-04-2008, 08:03:52
Yeah, weekend is better in principle. Tizzy might be away or we might have a gig on the 28th, so we can see when you work that out. :beer:

Tizzy
11-04-2008, 08:33:54
The gig/being away is 28 June.

Funko
11-04-2008, 08:50:05
:lol:

Funko
11-04-2008, 08:50:54
Google calendar is great, if you aren't a moron.

Immortal Wombat
11-04-2008, 21:31:19
Thanks Greg, but based on other comments, I am beginning to think Stonehenge isn't the best idea to burn up a whole day. We don't have much old stuff over here so we might look into a castle tour instead. I have only seen the insides of one in the UK (on the Isle of Wight about 30 years ago) and my wife has not seen any. Any good castles near London?

Hampton Court (http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=hampton+court) or Windsor Castle (http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=windsor+castle) are the closest. They're more palaces than castle though.

There's a few to the south that I've enjoyed visiting. Hever (http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=Hever+Castle) and Leeds (http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=Leeds+Castle) (not actually in Leeds) castles are fortified houses in huge moats, or Bodiam (http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=Bodiam+Castle) and Dover (http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=Dover+Castle) are proper medieval castles.

Immortal Wombat
11-04-2008, 21:32:59
You're possibly best off doing the castle bit in Wales, if you have the time. There's a whole load of really cool castles there. Mobius knows.

Kitsuki
11-04-2008, 21:37:24
The Tower of London, again not quite a castle, is very worth visiting.

Provost Harrison
12-04-2008, 14:55:00
Would have to be a weekend for me, I will probably be out of the country, although there is also a high probability that there may be on a project in Slough...I get all the exotic locations :lol:

RedFred
14-04-2008, 05:35:35
Great! Let me know if either evening of May 30th or May 31st works for London. I am leaning against the Reading idea, Mobius, but thanks for the walk tips.

[I've observed duck on duck rape is almost always caused by male mallards. Sometimes they succeed judging by the occasional half-mallard duck I have seen.]