PDA

View Full Version : Episode 2 TV Trailer

FunkyFingers
08-05-2002, 10:54:26
Saw a superb TV trailer last night for Ep2 - it was kind of like a profile of a bounty hunter. Boy did I get excited! :smoke:
It also said "Not yet rated" at the end, so it seems they are undecided about whether to give it a U or a 12 Cert...

I'm going to see it next Friday, rock on! :cool:

Funkodrom
08-05-2002, 10:55:36
What about PG?

King_Ghidra
08-05-2002, 11:18:12
I'm fine thanks!

Oh...:nervous:

Mightytree
08-05-2002, 12:05:49
Bought my premiere ticket yesterday ... :p

DaShi
08-05-2002, 12:17:08
Steven Colbert gave the first trailer excellent reviews.

There are other trailer's like the bounty hunter one. Though only the Jedi one comes to mind.

Maybe they'll make a Jar Jar one.

"Jamaican Accent"

"Annoying Dialogue"

"Dismembered in every third scene"

"Jar Jar Binks"

FunkyFingers
08-05-2002, 12:37:58
Jar Jar appears once in the whole film, near the beginning for a total of 15 seconds. He says no more than 1 line of dialogue then that's it.

DaShi
08-05-2002, 20:37:38
Originally posted by FunkyFingers
Jar Jar appears once in the whole film, near the beginning for a total of 15 seconds. He says no more than 1 line of dialogue then that's it.

I hope that one line is, "Aaaahhh! Me'sa dieing." :shoot:

Sean
08-05-2002, 20:47:51
The question is, why should he be there at all? Why should we be relieved that he is only there for 15 seconds? I have a feeling that this will receive rave reviews because, compared to TPM, it will be great.

FunkyFingers
08-05-2002, 21:20:53
euan mcgreggor says that ep2 is much more like empire strikes back, which is nice.

Sean
08-05-2002, 21:27:21
Er, he has a slight bias.

Goob
09-05-2002, 06:37:47
Yes he does,... but it would fit with how Lucas puts his trilogies together, and if there is any hope of rescuing the series for the hard core fan it needs to be by design

Funkodrom
09-05-2002, 09:14:22
Originally posted by Sean
Er, he has a slight bias.

He also said that the name is embarassingly bad.

Sean
09-05-2002, 09:26:32
A feeble concession to the doubters.

Mightytree
09-05-2002, 09:43:50
Judging from the trailers I think that Episode 2 will be just as bad as Episode 1.

FunkyFingers
09-05-2002, 13:52:29
Originally posted by Mightytree
Judging from the trailers I think that Episode 2 will be just as bad as Episode 1.

What makes you say that?

Venom
09-05-2002, 13:56:01
I saw the trailer with Yoda doing a little ass kicking. Pretty cool stuff.

I have no doubts that this movie will be NO WHERE as good as the orginal trilogy. Lucas isn't any where as good a film maker/writer/director as he used to be.

I also have no doubts that it will be much better the Episode 1.

Nav
09-05-2002, 14:02:24
I've seen several reviews from previews and they are all saying it's good. Much better than Ep1. Don't know about comparisons to the original trilogy though.

FunkyFingers
09-05-2002, 14:53:53
Well, I'll tell you all next week :smoke:

The 3 previews I have now read have all raved about this film - comparing it in quality and mood to Empire Strikes Back - and all saying it's streets ahead of Ep1.

Well, see of course, but I'm looking forward to it - 8 days to go for me, centre of 4th row, Odeon Leicester Square. Ahooo!

Sean
09-05-2002, 15:28:30
Previews by whom?

Venom
09-05-2002, 15:55:17
Large amounts of the press have seen the movie already.

FunkyFingers
09-05-2002, 16:00:31
There was a press-preview screening here in the UK last night - the preview review in the Metro this morning basically gave the entire plot away in about 6 paragraphs. Very handy if you were trying to not learn about the storyline.

Sean
09-05-2002, 16:02:19
Venom, I know, but there are a lot of film columns that latch onto whatever is hot right now.

Venom
09-05-2002, 16:11:31
I've seen about 6 reviews now and they're all about the same. That ranges from newspaper reporters to insides like Corona Films and Ain't it Cool.

Sean
09-05-2002, 16:12:03
See?!

Venom
09-05-2002, 16:45:35
See what?

Sean
09-05-2002, 16:48:17
Say what?

Venom
09-05-2002, 16:50:21
Who?

Goob
10-05-2002, 06:49:22
Well I think that we can safely say that Walter Chaw of FilmFreakCentral.net did not like Episode II here's a link (http://www.filmfreakcentral.net/screenreviews/episodeii.htm) There are no real spoiler's in the review other than Chaw's over use of a thesaurus to flesh out his "virulent attack" on Episode II.

www.rottentomatoes.com has 12 reviews posted already, 7 good ones and 5 rather negative ones.

FunkyFingers
10-05-2002, 08:56:47
Ooh, doesn't he know a lot of big words. :hmm:

I shall reserve my own judgement until I have seen the film in 7 days time.

Sean
10-05-2002, 09:08:36
So the previews you read were worthwhile and this one isn’t?

That one was a bit vague, although there are a few scenes mentioned that made me cringe just thinking about them. This really made the preview for me, though.
Tom Hanks tells a tale of finding his performance in Forrest Gump after observing Michael Conner Humphreys' performance as the younger version of the title character. Hayden Christensen, portraying Anakin Skywalker as a late teen, has likewise taken a page from Jake Lloyd's legendarily awful performance from Episode I and replaced a model of bad turns that has stood since Travolta's in Battlefield Earth and will stand at least until Christensen himself reprises "Ani" in the "no one in their right mind is looking forward to it now" Episode III.

King_Ghidra
10-05-2002, 09:58:32
Originally posted by Goob
Well I think that we can safely say that Walter Chaw of FilmFreakCentral.net did not like Episode II here's a link (http://www.filmfreakcentral.net/screenreviews/episodeii.htm) There are no real spoiler's in the review other than Chaw's over use of a thesaurus to flesh out his "virulent attack" on Episode II.

My goddamn firewall won't let me get to this review :cry:

FunkyFingers
10-05-2002, 10:01:10
No, I've said I will reserve judgement until I see the film for myself after every preview I've read/seen. My own feeling about that particular preview is that he was obviously trying so impossibly hard to sound disgusted that he's done himself out of any credibility by his absurd use of the thesaurus. He's trying to make himself sound big and important by using lots of big words, which instantly makes me skeptical of his view.

Sean
10-05-2002, 11:09:26
But you brought up the positive previews earlier, just to reinforce your opinion even if you said you would wait and see.

Funkodrom
10-05-2002, 11:12:50
"In a way, though, I'm grateful to Lucas for making my job easier: Episode II is so atrocious that its screenplay--with lines like, "This is a nightmare! I want to go home!" and "You obviously have a great deal to learn about human behaviour"--serves as auto-critique, and its clumsiness as its own most damning censure."

That was a problem with Ep 1 as well. Suddenly the characters were talking with GL's idea of what was cool modern street talk. horrible.

Sean
10-05-2002, 11:14:30
I prefer films that create their own style, not try to borrow something else. Like Tron.

Funkodrom
10-05-2002, 11:17:36
You saying Tron created it's own style or borrowed?

Venom
10-05-2002, 11:51:13
Originally posted by MikeH
That was a problem with Ep 1 as well. Suddenly the characters were talking with GL's idea of what was cool modern street talk. horrible.

Lucas is a shit writer. Ever since he had kids he's been unable (or unwilling) to create a serious adult story that appeals to all ages.

Ep 1 was on TV last night and I tuned in just in time to see Jar Jar land on a tank's gun barrel and "hilariously" destroy the tank by accident.

I have almost no hopes for Ep II.

FunkyFingers
10-05-2002, 11:58:26
"This is quite possibly the best of the Star Wars Series"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/reviews/newsid_1977000/1977887.stm

Re the Jar Jar thing - yes it does set ones teeth on edge, which is an understatement, that's why I'm still keen to see "The Phantom Edit".
The Bearded One himself admitted recently that he realised he made a real mistake with the cartoon characters and kids antics of Ep1.

Sean
10-05-2002, 12:01:41
Hey Funky, let’s be fair, this review is pretty poor too.

‘hang onto your lightsabre - this one will rock the planet.’

‘Hayden Chistensen, who is set to become Darth Vader in the next film, superbly interweaves the evil undercurrents into his otherwise heroic persona.’

‘They also work in context and are pretty crucial to the plot.’

:vom:.

FunkyFingers
10-05-2002, 12:03:51
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/reviews/newsid_1976000/1976902.stm

A summary of the UK press's reaction to Ep2. This is a fair range of reactions I'd say?

I ultaimately don't really care what any of these reviewers have said, positive or negative; until I've seen it for myself I shall just continue to get mildly excited about seeing it.

Venom
10-05-2002, 12:10:49
That's why I'm going in with only one expectation. To see Yoda kick ass.

Other than that I just hope it's better the Ep 1.

Venom
10-05-2002, 12:13:02
http://www.drudgereport.com/flashac.htm

Apparently it's already out on the web.

FunkyFingers
10-05-2002, 12:29:40
I don't see the point of watching, on a computer screeen a crummy compressed, windowed mpeg taken by a camcorder in a theatre, when in a weeks time you can go and see the actual thing in the Odeon Leicester Square - enormovision, with 6 channel surround sound. :clueless:

Venom
10-05-2002, 12:50:07
I agree. The article did imply that there was a quality copy out there.

I'm not gonna take the time to track it down and download it. I can wait a week to see it.

Goob
10-05-2002, 23:21:46
- Ross Anthony "Hollywood Report Card" says:
Undoubtedly, lustrous polished visuals are the single most alluring element of the production. Rich in color and creativity and, of course, special effect; every shot is resplendid. From the arsenal of imaginative battle gear to the shimmering space vehicles to the gleaming interiors, immense care has been taken to make this picture look great. 100% digitally shot or created in the computer and (at our particular screening) digitally projected. Simply beautiful, despite the lack of film....
...Anakin (Hayden Christensen) has grown and takes to the screen with confidence, strength, and yes, passion -- thank God. Cocky and restless like the Han Solo and Luke (respectively) of the original (Episode IV). Not just because he is young, but because he is good. This is his film. In fact, running alongside Padme (Queen/now Senator), you'll no doubt recall images of Luke and Leia scurrying hand in hand. This Anakin is clearly more interesting in script and stronger in realization than anyone else in the film (and in the last one for that matter).

He gave the movie an A-.

In Contrast this is some of what he had to say about Lord of the Rings which he couldn't stand...

Bounteously bold, gorgeous, video-game-esque battle sequences are placed like decadently rich chocolate chips in this huge sugarless cookie of a film that over bakes the pan.

Threads made of board-game rules, special effects and the backbone of Tolkien's successful book of the same name sow this "hobbits & wizards vs. evil" yarn. Surface deep dialogue offers little for more mature audiences. And while kids may be entranced with this journey that never seems to end both figuratively and literally, they may nod off between bouts.

I will never understand how some reviewers think. :hmm:

Goob
10-05-2002, 23:24:14
King_Ghidra see if you can get to www.rottentomatoes.com it now has 14 Ep. II reviews (8 positive - 5 negative)

*Lord of the Rings scored 112 reviews there, 107 "positive" - 5 "negative". ;)

FunkyFingers
12-05-2002, 18:15:47
Ep2 is "film of the week" in this weekends Observer...

Snapcase
13-05-2002, 00:31:59
AFAIK "Film of the Week" doesn't necessarily mean "Best film of the Week" in the Observer.

Sean
13-05-2002, 16:39:25
It means ‘the film we had to cover because everyon’s talking about it’. Like the album of the week in the Times.

Fistandantilus
13-05-2002, 21:38:54
Originally posted by Venom

Ep 1 was on TV last night and I tuned in just in time to see Jar Jar land on a tank's gun barrel and "hilariously" destroy the tank by accident.

Yep, they passed it on TV tonight, that scene is terrible :shoot:

I must say though that the way Darth Maul 'dances' while fighting two jedi at once is superb. Boy, I'll miss him :cry:

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
13-05-2002, 23:38:43
I will never understand how some reviewers think. :hmm:

It's not so hard. It's just arbitrary bias against the stuff he dislikes.

It's how some reviewers liked the hyper-Americanized (a long time ago in a galazy far far away?) podrace from Episode 1. If ever a sequence was a giant ad for a video game, that was it (the entire film Spawn notwithstanding).

Guy
14-05-2002, 12:04:21
Interesting critique from Roger Ebert on the Chicago Sun web page, was less about the merits or failings of the movie and more about the quality of the digital projection, which he found wanting. Apparently the digital projection technology, which Lucas has been a huge advocate of and been trying very hard to promote through these films, ain't quite there yet for the big screen. Coincidentally, heard a similar diatribe on NPR on my drive home last night. There's apparently no set standards yet for digital projectors and also a problem getting good resolution at the sizes of most movie theater screens. What looks great on a TV screen from a DVD looks blurry and faded on a movie screen. The general consensus being that at the moment, film is superior for projection, though digital recording is much cheaper and flexible for film production.

Venom
14-05-2002, 12:30:16
Roger Ebert is a fucking moron.

Guy
14-05-2002, 12:37:02
I can't argue with that.

FunkyFingers
14-05-2002, 15:55:57
Don't then

Mightytree
14-05-2002, 18:03:58
I know someone who's seen the movie already. He says Episode 1 was better. Scary.

Sean
14-05-2002, 18:27:52
:eek:.

Mightytree
14-05-2002, 18:33:56
Exactly. And I even bought premiere tickets for it.

:nervous:

Venom
15-05-2002, 03:25:41
There's no way Episode 1 is better than it. No way.

FunkyFingers
15-05-2002, 09:09:21
There is no way on earth that it is worse than Ep1, that's a crock of horse.

Friend of mine went to see it on Sunday - Cast and Crew screening (she works for London Symphony Orchestra ) and she said it was fantastic - much better than Ep1. She really enjoyed it.

2 days until I see it...

King_Ghidra
15-05-2002, 11:37:07
Peter Bradshaw
Friday May 10, 2002
The Guardian

First, the bad news, and what devastatingly bad news it is. Jar Jar Binks has been brought back for Episode II, presumably in a last-ditch attempt to shift millions of tons of dolls. Unrepentant, producer-director George Lucas has declared that Jar Jar stays in the picture, but pointedly gives him a more high-status role: speaking in the senate, even proposing historic changes to the constitution. Even worse news is that Tattooine's insidious Faginesque slave-trader is back too, hook-nose and all, shruggingly revealing that he has sold Anakin Skywalker's mother. He actually says the words: "Business is business." Oy.

The dialogue is every bit as clunky as we come to have to expect from the great man (despite a co-writing credit for Jonathan Hales), and however state-of-the-art his effects are, when it comes to nouns, adjectives, conjunctions and the like, Mr Lucas has got out his trusty crayon. Sadly many of the performances marry up to this writing style in an ecstatic merger of form and content. Natalie Portman, a mere bud of dullness in Phantom Menace, has blossomed into a fully-formed flower of bad acting here, her head and ears winsomely framed in a different outlandish post-Leia hairstyle in every scene.

Hayden Christensen is the actor who has been chosen to play Anakin Skywalker, and on his shoulders rests the burden of showing the moral complexity of the entire epic: how this profoundly gifted Jedi warrior should have turned to the dark side. Unfortunately, Christensen's armoury of facial expressions is modestly stocked. Moreover, Anakin not only has a ponytail, but also a thin length of braided hair trailing winsomely over his shoulder. As the mighty Yoda would say: "Like a wussy 12-year-old girl he looks."

The good news is that the effects unleashed by the geniuses of Industrial Light and Magic really are remarkable - more than 100 gobsmacking, jawdropping set pieces, too intricate and detailed to describe here. On this front, Episode II delivers in a very big way.

Where this movie comes alive is in its final act, the closing hour or so of this slightly stately two-hour-23-minute film. And it comes to life when the forces of Good and Evil unveil themselves, unambiguously, for a big showdown. Specifically, the excitement kicks in with the appearance of Christopher Lee as the sinister renegade Jedi Count Dooku - a character uncannily similar in function to Saruman in The Lord of the Rings, even down to the thrilling mano-a-mano contest he has with Yoda, like the Gandalf confrontation. When Lee comes on, the film's IQ seems to treble, and it's a pleasure and a relief to see an actor who both enjoys what he is doing and is old enough to shave.

The plot turns on a secessionist drama: solar systems are threatening to break away from the Galactic Republic, with Dooku behind it, along with the shadowy and superbly named Darth Sidious. (Who else? Darth Nuendo? Darth Vasion? Darth Tergalactic-Warfare?) A civil war is brewing, but not like the American civil war. The wise heads and Jedi Knights in charge of the Republic do not, apparently, have a problem with slavery.

This plot is tied up with assassination attempts on the inexpressibly lovely Padme Amidala (Portman), so the Republic assigns two Jedis to protect her: the smitten Ani (Christensen), and his mentor Ewan McGregor who is still playing Obi-Wan Kenobi in the same boring stuffy backdated-Alec Guinness way. "Why do I get the feeling that you're going to be the death of me?" says Kenobi to his young charge, and there is a frisson all over the cinema.

For the headstrong, mercurial young Ani Skywalker is already showing signs of the evil about to grow in him. The death of his mother triggers a terrible murderous rage in Ani - let down, sadly, by Christiansen's pouting face which suggests more than anything else the orphanhood of Bambi. Can it be long before he starts trying the fast, jerky stride invented by Dave Prowse for Episode IV, like a baby taking its first steps?

The rest of Lucas's storyline is very involved. The "clones" of the title are a genetically engineered army secretly commissioned for the Republic's defence, but whose existence is covered up a sinister convocation of plotters. Obi-Wan gets a rainswept fight scene with bounty hunter Jango Fett, during which everyone around me in the auditorium was stifling yawns.

But however indulgent and wayward it all is, the strands are pulled together for a rousing finale in which the only real disappointment is the reappearance of R2-D2 and C-3PO, who used to have one of the great comic double-acts in modern cinema history, and now are just minor, and pretty straight, supporting players.

This movie is an improvement on the execrable Phantom Menace: never less than a watchable, entertaining spectacle. Its attempt at complexity and ambiguity is engaging, even admirable, although this is partly still the contrived "prequel" effect of creating storylines which have to look startling and unexpected, even though we all know where they're heading.

Everything now hinges on Episode III, which will be boxed in by the films either side. Can the callow Christensen make Ani's Luciferian conversion to evil look convincing? Does Lucas have the courage to make this temporary triumph of evil look as resounding as it needs to be? Realistically, Episode III is where the great epic will end in the public mind - with the victory of the Dark Force. Will Lucas have the nerve not to insist on some cop-out way of sugaring this pill? I fear the worst, but Episode II is enjoyable stuff, and a new, if short-lived, hope.

Venom
15-05-2002, 12:27:18
Moreover, Anakin not only has a ponytail, but also a thin length of braided hair trailing winsomely over his shoulder. As the mighty Yoda would say: "Like a wussy 12-year-old girl he looks.

Pretty obvious by this statement that this guy is in no way a fan of the Star Wars universe.

Funkodrom
15-05-2002, 12:38:36
Yes, that's terrible Yoda speak. Not such a bad review though. Lucas' dialogue has always been horrible and the acting not much better (other than Guinness and Ford).

FunkyFingers
15-05-2002, 12:43:12
He seems to be rather taken by Natalie Portman though!

Funkodrom
15-05-2002, 13:09:14
I'd take Natalie Portman.

FunkyFingers
15-05-2002, 14:15:24
You shoulnd't - she's obviously so tempting that you'll turn to the dark side...

Funkodrom
15-05-2002, 14:22:13
That's fine. The dark side is quicker and easier.

Snapcase
15-05-2002, 14:28:11
So that's what the dark side is. :hmm:

FunkyFingers
15-05-2002, 14:30:00
I thought the dark side was smaller, tighter and harder to enter

King_Ghidra
15-05-2002, 14:34:40
:lol: