PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard/Battery

Resource Consumer
23-02-2008, 15:48:28
Hi Geekotwats,

May I respectfully request your opinions please.

I have had my existing comp since early 2006.

Now, I have recently had some probs. My comp boots of a RAID array. Recently, I get repeatedly some crappy XP message saying file not found - relating to some windows .dll file. I have had this in the past and what it really means is that something has gone wrong in the BIOS and the comp tries to boot off another drive.

OK. so I can easily correct this in the BIOS - which I do - and get the compt aim for the RAID first. However, when I boot again the next time....we are back to square one.

So, this seems to me that my changes to the BIOS are not being remembered and I have this .dll groundhog day.

So, my question is - does this seem like a M'board battery?

And, if so, is this something that an idiot like me can competently do?

And, if so, again, is there something else that I need to know/do? (I suspect not since, if I am right, the unpowered BIOS goes back to a default state).

All advice welcome....

Beta1
23-02-2008, 21:56:55
Hit computer repeatedly with hammer

If this doesn't work try it again shouting

"WORK YOU F****** PIECE OF S***"

Should fix it, or at least make you feel better.

Scabrous Birdseed
23-02-2008, 23:22:44
I'm not sure that's what he meant by "Motherboard battery".

Resource Consumer
24-02-2008, 10:09:57
it is tempting, though

LoD
24-02-2008, 10:21:45
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
I'm not sure that's what he meant by "Motherboard battery".

CMOS battery. And it might be, although if all other data is saved (such as, you know, clock time), then I suspect the problem lies somewhere else.

Scabrous Birdseed
24-02-2008, 10:44:27
Do you have a habit of misunderstanding my bad puns?

Resource Consumer
24-02-2008, 16:42:12
Originally posted by LoD
CMOS battery. And it might be, although if all other data is saved (such as, you know, clock time), then I suspect the problem lies somewhere else.

Good point. I never thought of that. Is there any way that the clock could get reset throughthe act of rebooting and accessing the i-net?

Or am I talking science fiction?

MoSe
25-02-2008, 08:29:40
:lol: @ scabby

RC although I do not advocate random intervention, and LoD has a point, I guess that changing the battery takes less effort than figuring what else could be.
And at least you'd have ruled out one possible cause.

A few years ago opening a chassis, finding the battery, taking it out, buying a matching one and replacing it, it was a rather straightforward task.
It's a few years I don't open a PC belly and stick my hands in it tho.

Beta1
25-02-2008, 17:06:50
changing battery is easy. You might have to reset the bios to defaults either using a jumper or in the bios setup afterwards.

Resource Consumer
26-02-2008, 10:04:59
thanks guys