PDA

View Full Version : Sokal !!!

Immortal Wombat
08-02-2008, 15:19:17
There are many natural scientists, and especially physicists, who continue to reject the notion that the disciplines concerned with social and cultural criticism can have anything to contribute, except perhaps peripherally, to their research. Still less are they receptive to the idea that the very foundations of their worldview must be revised or rebuilt in the light of such criticism. Rather, they cling to the dogma imposed by the long post-Enlightenment hegemony over the Western intellectual outlook, which can be summarized briefly as follows: that there exists an external world, whose properties are independent of any individual human being and indeed of humanity as a whole; that these properties are encoded in ``eternal'' physical laws; and that human beings can obtain reliable, albeit imperfect and tentative, knowledge of these laws by hewing to the ``objective'' procedures and epistemological strictures prescribed by the (so-called) scientific method.

But deep conceptual shifts within twentieth-century science have undermined this Cartesian-Newtonian metaphysics; revisionist studies in the history and philosophy of science have cast further doubt on its credibility; and, most recently, feminist and poststructuralist critiques have demystified the substantive content of mainstream Western scientific practice, revealing the ideology of domination concealed behind the fašade of ``objectivity''. It has thus become increasingly apparent that physical ``reality'', no less than social ``reality'', is at bottom a social and linguistic construct; that scientific ``knowledge", far from being objective, reflects and encodes the dominant ideologies and power relations of the culture that produced it; that the truth claims of science are inherently theory-laden and self-referential; and consequently, that the discourse of the scientific community, for all its undeniable value, cannot assert a privileged epistemological status with respect to counter-hegemonic narratives emanating from dissident or marginalized communities. These themes can be traced, despite some differences of emphasis, in Aronowitz's analysis of the cultural fabric that produced quantum mechanics; in Ross' discussion of oppositional discourses in post-quantum science; in Irigaray's and Hayles' exegeses of gender encoding in fluid mechanics; and in Harding's comprehensive critique of the gender ideology underlying the natural sciences in general and physics in particular.

discuss

Drekkus
08-02-2008, 15:27:00
Sokaled "scientists"

Provost Harrison
08-02-2008, 15:32:11
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
discuss

...ding...

Provost Harrison
08-02-2008, 15:33:32
SoCal!

http://www.comsiteswest.com/images/southern-california.gif

Vincent
08-02-2008, 15:45:42
http://www.seniorcanardo.com/seniorcanardo/img/canardo_img.jpg

Funko
08-02-2008, 15:59:49
Agree with the op. The purity of natural science is coming increasingly into question.

Provost Harrison
08-02-2008, 16:06:37
I agree. I too love scrutinising some naturists ;)

Scabrous Birdseed
08-02-2008, 16:14:19
Interesting. I would personally see medicine, biology and chemistry as more likely subject to criticism, as they're more directly involved with social issues.

Vincent
08-02-2008, 16:18:44
I'd like to meet somebody of superior intelligence!

Funko
08-02-2008, 16:22:55
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
Interesting. I would personally see medicine, biology and chemistry as more likely subject to criticism, as they're more directly involved with social issues.

Definitely, and because of that I think Physicists have always had a "Oh yes, those biologists... got to watch them, but you can't argue with gravity" superior smug feeling about this stuff.

Funko
08-02-2008, 16:23:36
Originally posted by Vincent
I'd like to meet somebody of superior intelligence!

http://convention.apolyton.net/

Vincent
08-02-2008, 16:32:57
That's a spooky link, Funko

Venom
08-02-2008, 16:36:10
That's a spooky Funko, link.

Christ. I've turned into MoSe. Someone shoot me.

Funko
08-02-2008, 16:38:57
:shoot:

MoSe
08-02-2008, 17:29:12
and in Hardman's comprehensive critique of the gender ideology

U R ALL GAY TWATS

MoSe
08-02-2008, 17:32:13
Originally posted by Funko
Agree with the op. The purity of natural science is coming increasingly into question.

you agree that it happens, or you agree that it should (as the tone of the quote seems to suggest)?

I agree to reject

KrazyHorse
08-02-2008, 17:39:19
I totally agree with the opening post. The morphology of theoretical physical "laws" are based on an overwhelmingly dominance-based worldview. Marginalized opinions provide a useful demonstration that such laws are the result of heuristic and chaotic non-determinative processes, not a series of ever-closer approximations to "reality".

Funko
11-02-2008, 09:33:21
Originally posted by MoSe
you agree that it happens, or you agree that it should (as the tone of the quote seems to suggest)?

I agree to reject

I agree that science is a product of the world view of the scientists researching it, and that should be acknowledged, so that we can try and minimise that influence.