PDA

View Full Version : Excel genius/web guru needed

Beta1
15-01-2008, 21:46:03
I've made a self marking worksheet for my A-level chemists in excel - basically it gives them some compounds and they type in the name and if its right it tells them and if not it gives hints.

It works great and the kids love it as they can get instatn feedback.

So far so good.

Its sitting on my web space and the some of the kids download it and practise naming compounds as told to.

Some don't

What I want to do is figure out a way of either finding out who has downloaded it - or even better getting a way of the excel sheet feeding back the data of what they got right by email or similar.

ANyone got any clue how to do this other than making them email the worksheet back?

Beta1
15-01-2008, 22:49:40
only thing I can think of that doesnt require major work is having a copy of worksheet for each kid on the school server and then another that simply reads the scores off them....

I can see this getting very complex...

Greg W
16-01-2008, 00:17:29
Or make the spreadsheet require a userid and password to download, and then keep track of who downloads it.

I'm guessing (I'm not that big an expert) that you could put something into the script that checks the answers... Ooh, hang on...

What about instead of having them download the spreadsheet, you embed it into a webpage (and no, don't ask me how to do that :D ) that they have to log into to see. That I imagine would make it much simpler to keep track of answers and the like.

chagarra
16-01-2008, 07:41:39
www.htmlgoodies.com has a primer on

this in their ASP primers.. Worth a look

Funko
16-01-2008, 09:37:53
I think that getting them to e-mail it back and checking it manually will be FAR less work than doing any of the web ideas that you are thinking about.

C.G.B. Spender
16-01-2008, 09:49:07
Trust http://www.lazyview.com !

LoD
16-01-2008, 20:41:26
The only surefire way is to have it server-side, e.g. as a PHP script.

mr_B
21-01-2008, 16:55:33
Excel genius/web guru needed ask drekkus

:lol: :lol:

Nav
22-01-2008, 13:17:49
possibly you can embed some script (vb?) that could do something magic (such as ask for a name when finished). Which could then send that to a basic mailer script on a server somewhere.