PDA

View Full Version : Oops! I've done it again

RedFred
05-01-2008, 18:33:35
My wife decided to reinstall the operating system on our computer. "Quick", she said, "save all your pictures to a disk."

The only disk that I had that was handy was a DVD-RW, but it seemed to work. I saved the pictures and then checked the disk to see if I could retrieve the pictures. They were on the disk, honest.

After the wife reinstalled the operating system, I could not get anything off the diskette, even to the point where the PC tells me there is not anything there. Keep in mind I went to India and Cuba this year and the pictures are very valuable. Also, when I look at the diskette part of it is a different colour silver so I know that it did burn correctly. Probably just forgot a stage, whether it be closing it off or formatting correctly.

Any advice? So far I have been told to:
1) send it to a CSI lab - not practical,
2) save a new picture to the diskette properly using the same software and that should bring all the old pictures back - I hesitate to do this in case I overwrite the pictures on there now and make future retrieval impossible.

Your help is appreciated - for I am a computer moron.

Scabrous Birdseed
05-01-2008, 22:06:50
Does the program you burned the pictures with show pictures there?

RedFred
06-01-2008, 16:51:36
No, and I've also tried it on other PCs - nothing.

Resource Consumer
06-01-2008, 17:54:26
OK. I am working from my own low/dumb level so please do not take offence. When you burned the disk, did you actually command it to "finish" (or whatever geekoid is for that)? This is where I have had problems in the past. If you have an "unfinished" disk then I am not sure what the smart thing is to do.

JM^3
06-01-2008, 19:58:51
Get all the software that you had to burn the disk back on the machine. If that doesn't work, then possibly go as far as pay for someone to recover the data.

JM

RedFred
08-01-2008, 04:34:32
RC - I very well may have forgotten the final step.

JM - Agreed, I will happily pay someone to recover the information. So far I have approached two camera companies and a DVD burner guy. All agreed that there was something on the disk but suggested I contact "someone else" to recover. My trouble is figuring out who the best someone else is. Any thoughts?

JM^3
08-01-2008, 06:11:05
hard disk recovery?

look it up online?

JM

C.G.B. Spender
08-01-2008, 08:35:25
Have you tried copying that DVD?

RedFred
09-01-2008, 02:15:56
Yes - tried and failed to copy. My software doesn't recognize what is on the disk.

LoD
09-01-2008, 14:32:07
Try it on another operating system. I had the inverse recently - the disk could not be read correctly on Windows, but looked fine on Linux.

RedFred
30-03-2008, 14:18:51
Epilogue - Other operating systems didn't work. Jon's suggestion did. Got all my pictures back! Just need to sort them all because the directories were messed up.

Thank-you JM^3!!!

:)