PDA

View Full Version : RPG PC games

Beta1
31-12-2007, 10:34:18
Any decent single player party based RPGs anyone could recommend?

I don't have time for online games atm and feel like playing something ike baldurs gate again - stupidly I've lost the disks for that but I still have NWN.

Played oblivion/morrowind/gothic etc but they don't have quite the storyline of the black isle/bioware games.

I'm running a AMD 2600+, 1Gig ram, GeForce 7600 GS setup.

I need something new to get my teeth into.

King_Ghidra
31-12-2007, 11:13:56
nwn2 is pretty much party based, worth a look. i'm guessing it will be ok on your system.

Greg W
31-12-2007, 18:11:40
Planescape Torment got brilliant reviews from all my mates way back when. No probs at all on your system.

Fallout/2 as well if you've never played them...

Shining1
31-12-2007, 23:46:00
NWN2 is iffy, for fun and stability.

Jade Empire special edition (PC) is astounding.

Knights of the Old Republic (the originial, not the Obsidian followup) is also incredible.

Short Version: Get Jade Empire and Knights of the Old Republic.

JM^3
01-01-2008, 04:29:40
I have heard good things about Mass Effect (not out yet fo rPC).

JM

Beta1
01-01-2008, 17:18:19
Played planescape - one of the best RPGs ever. Certainly the most imaginative,

I'll keep my eyes open for jade empire (though I've never heard of it).

Got KOTOR2, I thought it wasnt bad - I'll see if I can find KOTOR 1 on budget.

Am tempted by fallout although I'm kind of looking for a party based thing.

Shining1
01-01-2008, 22:06:30
Fallout might not be *quite* what you're looking for - but it's top quality for what it is. (Old though - 1997 era graphics and interface)

maroule
03-01-2008, 08:40:01
playing Mass Effect on my 360, loving it. Great scfi setting (story ok, not amazing due to an average villain, at least so far, only half way for me), amazing atmosphere and characterisation, really like playing a first rate scfi movie, with the Bioware touch

for a gamer like you, Beta, it's worth getting an xbox to play it (or check when it will be ported)

Tau Ceti
08-01-2008, 17:11:52
Originally posted by Beta1
I'll keep my eyes open for jade empire (though I've never heard of it).
Jade Empire is pretty typical Bioware. It is not strongly party-based as, although you do recruit a group, you can only bring one follower with you and the rest stand around in your camp. There is a decent amount of character development, though, if you bother to speak to everyone regularly.

It is rather combat focused and the system is heavily consolified, using a beat-'em-up method with various different techniques and combinations. It is not overly complex, though.

This may not sound all that positive, but although the game has some weaknesses, I enjoyed it a lot and played through it twice. The story is good, the atmosphere is fine and the quests are reasonably varied.

Beta1
08-01-2008, 17:52:50
hmm doesnt sound so much fun then - but then again I have been comepltely unable to find it in the sales...

Tau Ceti
08-01-2008, 19:08:18
Oh, it is fun - it is just not exactly in the Baldur's Gate style. But I don't think anyone makes games like that anymore. Like it or not, all development now is on consoles, and I imagine console RPGs pretty much have to work like that.

I would recommend getting it if you find it.

Shining1
09-01-2008, 03:14:28
Baldur's Gate 1x + 2x packs are still available most places I go for games. You should replace your CDs while you have a chance.

There really isn't anything like it, and probably never will be again.
NWN2 tries to do the party based thing again, but poor writing and stability have kinda hampered my experience of it so far. It's no BG2, for sure.

maroule
09-01-2008, 10:18:37
finished Mass Effect yesterday night
very happy about it
it's a different feeling that the others RPG like BG2 that I enjoyed so much
the story is very complex, but unfolds quicker, I would have hoped for a few more hours of play
however, it is clearly the most immersive game I've ever played. Very often, you get the feeling of staring in a movie. I'm replaying it a second time to explore other avenues, but also very much in a way where I would rewatch a movie I liked.

Kitsuki
09-01-2008, 10:50:58
KOTOR 1 is much much better than it's sequel. :)

MattHiggs
09-01-2008, 10:58:39
Originally posted by maroule
finished Mass Effect yesterday night
very happy about it
it's a different feeling that the others RPG like BG2 that I enjoyed so much
the story is very complex, but unfolds quicker, I would have hoped for a few more hours of play
however, it is clearly the most immersive game I've ever played. Very often, you get the feeling of staring in a movie. I'm replaying it a second time to explore other avenues, but also very much in a way where I would rewatch a movie I liked.

I'm planning on a second play this week. I'm a bit gutted about not voting it game of the year now - it clearly is by a long margin! Although Orange Box is huge value for money.

King_Ghidra
09-01-2008, 11:20:33
Originally posted by Kitsuki
KOTOR 1 is much much better than it's sequel. :)

i would tend to agree with that.

MDA
09-01-2008, 11:47:32
KOTOR 2 was so so unfinished. One of those "could have been" games.

If you like somewhat corny, clunky RPGs, I enjoyed Wizardry 8. Your opponents seem to at least scale somewhat to your level, although not to the extent you see in Oblivion. Combat gets monotonous pretty fast. Its diverting, even if its not great. Large numbers of usable items, spells and spell "schools", multiple classes and races, all the old school CRPG stuff. There are one-spell-kill enemies that I absolutely hate at higher levels.

The story would likely be better if I'd played any of the previous Wizardry games, but it seemed to be the usual "defeat the dark mysterious bad guy and bring enlightenment to the universe" stuff.

Came on 4 CDs and I think the company declared it the last one and closed its doors shortly after release.