PDA

View Full Version : I Am Legend

maroule
14-12-2007, 10:21:06
recently read the book and was interested to see they were preparing a new film adaptation (haven't seen the first two made)

Reading the NYT review today, there are hints that they coocked a happy ending, which would be utterly absurd and unfaithful... at the same time, the original ending is fairly hard to swallow for your average audience...

http://movies.nytimes.com/2007/12/14/movies/14lege.html

the review is, as usual, very solid. And as usual, the PG rating comment is funny, though not as fun as for this other movie

“Youth Without Youth” is rated R (Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian). Gun violence, sexual congress, female nudity, metaphysics.

Funko
14-12-2007, 10:29:25
"metaphysics"

:lol:

Lazarus and the Gimp
14-12-2007, 21:10:46
Originally posted by maroule
recently read the book and was interested to see they were preparing a new film adaptation (haven't seen the first two made)

The Charlton Heston one ("The Omega Man") is a great film.

Lazarus and the Gimp
14-12-2007, 21:12:53
And as usual, the PG rating comment is funny, though not as fun as for this other movie

“Youth Without Youth” is rated R (Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian). Gun violence, sexual congress, female nudity, metaphysics.

I saw one for an old Ealing comedy that read "Contains mild language".

What is "mild language"? Something like "Isn't it a nice day?" or "Would you like a glass of milk?"?

maroule
15-12-2007, 13:55:58
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
The Charlton Heston one ("The Omega Man") is a great film.

might have a look at it

MOBIUS
21-12-2007, 10:11:04
Yeah, Omega Man is great.

Morte
22-12-2007, 18:21:09
I believe the Vincent Price version, filmed in Italy is available in full on line.

Ahh here we are:

http://www.archive.org/details/the-last-man-on-earth

MOBIUS
27-12-2007, 22:25:56
Pretty average in the end.

protein
27-12-2007, 23:00:16
i thought it was really good. like a better version of 28 days later. will smith is fantastic in it.

MOBIUS
28-12-2007, 01:08:30
Some of it was good - a lot of it was good.

However a lot of it was also bad, and it is the bad bits that got on my nerves. Without giving things away, he's had 3 years to think about stuff...:rolleyes:

Walrus Feeder
28-12-2007, 19:51:17
Thought it started well and got quite engrossing when the 'dark people' emerged but faded badly towards end and focussed too much on action rather than explanation. Last few minutes were a bit of a joke.

MOBIUS
28-12-2007, 21:39:56
I agree. Good start that continued for about half the film until a specific major event. Progressively went downhill from there with a stupid ending.

Also the CGI wasn't as good as it could have been - in fact there isn't any need for major CGI, so its use is frankly gratuitous.

In fact, the more I think about it - the more this film annoys me!:mad:

MDA
02-01-2008, 06:13:29
Mild spoiler:

if they cut Manhattan off from the mainland... how did she manage to get there?

I also missed how she "saved" him at the last moment on the dock.

not that its impossible, but there was no explanation for how she got there

MOBIUS
02-01-2008, 09:37:19
The explanation is that it is a dumb movie.

Pretty big spoiler BTW;)

protein
02-01-2008, 14:41:19
the river isn't big and there are hundreds of abandoned boats. anyone could get across. everyone else decided to go to the refugee centre but she decided to go to the radio signal. he wanted to stay there because of his work. simple.

the only thing that annoyed me was that if the refugee centre was organised and had army/control structure, why didn't they send someone to go and get dr neville. since he was transmitting on all radio frequencies, they would have heard him. he was known to be working on a cure wasn't he?

maroule
03-01-2008, 08:36:20
agree with other posters here
first part is great, plays on the fantasy of being the only person on earth, and conjures amazing visions of Manhattan
Kudos to Smith to be able to play convincingly the last man on earth, that probably isn't easy
Last part is annoying, a major change from the book, and that opens indeed a lot of unaswered questions

last thing on survivor movies; why do they always elect to stay in (formerly) heavily populated areas, where millions of zombies roam? I'd find myself a nice island... As Neville, I would have left for a small island on the hudson river... might take a year to move your lab, but fuck, you'd sleep better... and you can still do a day trip to catch a zombie to experiment on once in a while

(same for 28 days, with the stupid army people living near a big city)

Debaser
03-01-2008, 09:15:05
'Cos a zombie movie where the protagonist just stayed safe and warn on a nice cosy island would be rubbish!

paiktis
09-01-2008, 00:55:26
A well paced well directed thriller without anything really original in its core concept. Starts well, climaxes smoothly but the ending is a bit dissapointing. The photography is great and Smith's acting adequate (I also liked the dog's acting)

I wonder why people need a happy ending.

I haven't read the book maroule talked about but how would people feel if there was a shocking breathtaking bad ending instead of your average vanilla ride to the sunset 1 million times done before ending?

Would they exit the theater feeling cheated and obliged to say bad things about the writer of the scenario if the ending was bad?

what if the last man on earth died? they wouldn't have the courage to go to work the next day?

maroule
09-01-2008, 10:16:12
you can only have a bad ending in a high brow romantic drama (like the english patient) because the audiences pay to get their heart broken

an action movie with a bad ending would be risky business... except if the movie (or the scenario) is brilliant enough to carry that weight (I'm thinking planet of the apes here, or Seven)... clearly, the whole point of the book (the last survivor is a freak/legend/abomination in a world now ruled by abominations, who became the norm) disapears in the movie.

MDA
15-01-2008, 12:01:38
Originally posted by protein
the river isn't big and there are hundreds of abandoned boats. anyone could get across. everyone else decided to go to the refugee centre but she decided to go to the radio signal. he wanted to stay there because of his work. simple.

the only thing that annoyed me was that if the refugee centre was organised and had army/control structure, why didn't they send someone to go and get dr neville. since he was transmitting on all radio frequencies, they would have heard him. he was known to be working on a cure wasn't he?

OK, I'll try. His radio didn't have the range to reach the centre, but she happened to pick it up on the way by?

they just didn't bother to explain that bit either

I guess I could be complaining that they gave the audience credit for a little intelligence and were trying to make me figure that part out for myself, but I doubt it was deliberate.

The whole statement about "complete social deevolution" bugged me too - the zombies appeared to hunt as a pack (did they call it a hive?), and appeared to be led by a boss zombie that kept zombie dogs on leashes.

Ihe zombie dog scene was awesome to watch, I was willing to turn my brain off and just enjoy that bit.

MoSe
15-01-2008, 12:14:33
an action movie with a bad ending would be risky business...

I thought that one was a comedy....
http://imdb.com/title/tt0086200/

C.G.B. Spender
15-01-2008, 12:26:15
clearly, the whole point of the book (the last survivor is a freak/legend/abomination in a world now ruled by abominations, who became the norm) disapears in the movie.
So they should have renamed the movie to "I could have been legend"

maroule
15-01-2008, 15:27:27
or "I am Legend, but in a conventional way, not as the author meant it"

C.G.B. Spender
15-01-2008, 15:42:59
"I'm kinda legend"

MoSe
15-01-2008, 17:11:58
"I'm kinda, like, legend"

Fergus & The Brazen Car
17-01-2008, 14:34:48
' I am a legend in my own living room'.

I have the Vincent Price one on dvd and quite like the Charlton Heston one, even if he does have the expressive abilities of a rosewood chiffonier.

I found the Will Smith one dull and uninspiring, and by Christmas Eve was heartily sick of the advertisement for it on t.v. .

There's a slightly more obscure one, whose name escapes me, set in the States, in a Frank Lloyd Wright House, which also involves 'only survivors' of a world wide disaster and also the New Zealand film, 'The Quiet Earth', which is on a similar theme.

MDA
17-01-2008, 16:01:18
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0043539/

googled up, but I've never seen or heard of it

Morte
22-01-2008, 14:58:05
The main problem with the latest version is that it seems to be a cut of a much longer film. Personally I was quite impressed with it as I was fully expecting the whole thing to be a disappointing mess.

MOBIUS
22-01-2008, 15:17:33
But it was a disappointing mess...

MoSe
22-01-2008, 16:00:47
That's why he wasn't disappointed: it was indeed disappointing as expected!

BigGameHunter
24-01-2008, 15:50:15
Pretty poopy film. I like apocalyptic stuff so I enjoyed it a bit more based on that. Looking forward to "The Road" if and when it gets made...depressing as hell in literary form...should be a real wrist slitter if done right.
28 Days Later still champ...and also has a dumb ending.
Hmmm....apocalyptic movies...hmmmm.
Omega Man (great)
Soylent Green (great) is is apocalyptic though?
vincent price I am Legend is pretty freaky....
Day of the Triffids...lol...good book though!
etc

MoSe
25-01-2008, 09:49:21
saw it yesterday

did I get it right? the "Crippin Virus"?
Oh, dear.

I realised I had read 3 or 4 Matheson books, but didn't know about this one
Also, I might have seen the Omega Man on TV as a teenager, but mostly forgot it.

I found this one nice and dull at the same time. not having the book as muster, I didn't get too much disappointed by the ending, as I got used to see such products always following the requirements of the market.
An average entertainment, enjoyable, nothing memorable about it.

SPOILING QUESTIONS ANd DOUBTS

- even with all the time he had, setting up alone his house armoring mustn't have been easy, how did he get along in the meanwhile?

- ok, she picked up the signal on her way north, and waited for him on the pier all day. I find much less credible that she decided to get back there in the middle of the night

- a grenade in the lab drawer, ok, who doesn't have one

- "don't you understand EVERYBODY died!".... er... hellooo?... WHO do you think you're talking to, indeed? ;)

One thing that surprised me: after his de-socialization remark, I was totally not expecting what the displaced mannequin had been used and setup for