PDA

View Full Version : Pratchett has Alzheimer's disease

protein
13-12-2007, 01:53:59
i've only read one of his books but i reckon quite a few of us here are probably fans.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7141458.stm

Author Terry Pratchett is suffering from a rare form of early Alzheimer's disease, it has been revealed.

He told fans the statement should be interpreted as "I am not dead".

"I will, of course, be dead at some future point, as will everybody else," he said.

fp
13-12-2007, 07:35:15
Shame. Pratchett is a brilliantly creative and funny author who probably doesn't get as much recognition as he deserves despite (or perhaps because of?) his millions of book sales. Glad to see he has still got his sense of humour!

Funko
13-12-2007, 09:01:23
One of the talking heads on More 4 (Richard O'Brien maybe?) has a bit of a rant about how he thinks it's ridiculous that on stage you can make people laugh for 2 hours, which is really hard, but it's seen as a lesser form of acting than doing a sad scene, which he says is much easier to do. Basically it's the 'serious' stuff that gets all the awards and humour is regarded as less important. I think that humour is seen the same way in literature, film, television and pretty much all the arts actually.

And it probably doesn't help that Fantasy is seen as a bit nerdy.

Anyway on Pratchett I really like his books and in some ways they seem to get better as he goes on. Both with the clever word play, and the way he uses Diskworld and Ankh Morpok to reflect some of the more ridiculous things in our own world.

maroule
13-12-2007, 10:59:25
selling millions of book is the highest recognition you can get

more and more, and because of "mouth to ear" effects accelerated by the internet etc, the opinions of the self proclaimed intellectual elite has little bearing on the impact of an author... Tolkien was dismissed in France until the late 80s, but had been having a massive impact on a lot of people for years before that (and that was before the new viral tools)

power to the grass roots!

King_Ghidra
19-12-2007, 17:08:11
who?

Scabrous Birdseed
19-12-2007, 17:16:33
I don't remember, mother.

Sir Penguin
20-12-2007, 19:03:45
"Mouth to ear" effects are much better for an author than "mouth to ear" infections.

SP