PDA

View Full Version : Are any of you Welsh going to see the Rugby game?

Shining1
03-10-2007, 01:40:57
New Zealand and France are playing a demonstration match in Cardiff this weekend. The 'All Blacks' and 'Les Blues' are two of the top teams in the world in this exciting, fast paced, brutal sport, and you really should check it out.

Did you know Wales also has a Rugby team at the moment? If you're inspired by the calm efficiency and organisation of the New Zealanders, or the passionate brilliance of the French, I'm sure it'll warm your heart to know that *you* too have a Rugby team you can support! Sure, they might be struggling for recognition on the world stage at the moment, but every great team* starts out that way. Just look at what Australia has managed to achieve in just 20 years of serious competition.

Anyways, in my humble opinion, Rugby is a great game, and you should definitely go along and check it out if you want a change up from your regular Soccer match!

* Except the All Blacks. They've always been great. The occasional setback or disaster aside... ;)

Greg W
03-10-2007, 01:42:36
:lol:Originally posted by Shining1
Except the All Blacks. They've always been great. The occasional setback or disaster aside... ;) Yeah, I guess every 4 years counts as occasional. :p

[Edit] Forgot to add:

Fuck You!

Shining1
03-10-2007, 01:52:54
That was more for Maroule and 8 years ago than you and 4 years ago. ;)

We content ourselves knowing that each time we lose, it's generally the absolute best the opposition has ever played and probably ever will play. Except for 1991. That really was the beginning of the end of the Uber Rugby Arrogance in New Zealand.

If I may make a pertinent suggestion about this world cup and our chances: What makes this All Blacks team so dangerous is that they *don't* expect to win every game just by being 'the All Blacks'(TM). It's the same feeling from the 1995 World Cup.

And, um, yeah - one setback or disaster every 4 years is pretty fucking good for a sporting hegemony. It's just that it happens to coincide with the World Cup that makes it suck. =)

Greg W
03-10-2007, 02:00:30
Yes, the 4 year Kiwi choke! It's allright, I think you'll finally get past it this year, as I have said in the tipping threads in the:

SPORTS FORUM!

I don't think we can ambush you like we did in '03, you'll have a backup plan this time, not a "we'll play this way and won't change even if it's not working" style. The Boks I think will be your biggest choke test.

We're not as good as we were 4 years ago, and certainly not as good as 8 years ago now. And with France and England lagging behind, the Boks are the only chance to test you. If, and that's a big IF, they can start using their backs as well as their forwards. They still shouldn't be a problem for you, but I've said that about Kiwis and World Cups before... :cute:

Shining1
03-10-2007, 02:12:48
It's the scariest motherfucking SA side since 1995, for sure.

Shining1
03-10-2007, 02:17:15
Hmmm. I should have left that post the way it was, come to think. I actually typed 'mothfucking' there before. =/

Greg W
03-10-2007, 02:25:13
I wouldn't say that to their faces, but... :lol:

Caligastia
03-10-2007, 02:43:11
The final will be NZ v Argentina anyway....

*wakes up*

Shining1
03-10-2007, 05:23:27
:lol:

omg if only... that would be so great!

Greg W
03-10-2007, 05:57:55
Nah, great would be Fiji v Argentina. Not that I think that's possible mind you...

Shining1
03-10-2007, 07:41:00
Agreed, but Argentina actually stand a hope in hell of doing it. Dark horse of the competition and all.

Tizzy
03-10-2007, 08:24:51
I'm not Welsh, but I'm going :bounce:

Funko
03-10-2007, 08:51:50
I'm not either, but I'm going too. :beer: Our second All Blacks game of the tournament.

If Murrayfield was anything to go by New Zealand must be empty.

MOBIUS
03-10-2007, 08:57:49
FOK U!:p

I'll be there - Allez les Bleus!

Dismiss France at your peril! They've had their wake up call and shuffled their pack accordingly, also playing in Cardiff I would say means less pressure, and doubly so against a team they're not expected to beat.

NZ OTOH have been coasting and not been tested once - Henry doesn't know which of his players will choke under pressure (the entire team again?) because they haven't had any, and therefore can't be sure he'll be picking his best team.

It's not like there hasn't been a fair few upsets in this competition so far...:cute:

Greg W
03-10-2007, 08:59:48
France to do a '99 again? I'd like to see that! :beer: :nervous:

MOBIUS
03-10-2007, 09:00:17
And no, I half expected Fiji to beat Wales, so that wasn't an upset in my eyes - more like a blessing in disguise...

MOBIUS
03-10-2007, 09:02:41
Originally posted by Greg W
France to do a '99 again? I'd like to see that! :beer: :nervous:

All I want is a close and exciting game of rugby - which it will be if France wins...;)

And it will be nice to see them actually perform the haka at the Millennium Stadium for a change!:D

maroule
03-10-2007, 09:17:00
Laporte is springing a big surprise: Beauxis is selected at number 10!!

I'm really happy about it, because I believe this guy is the future of French rugby. He has a wonderful boot, a very cool head, and is only 21 years old. A lot of people will discover him during this match. If he plays like I believe he will, he will surprise a few people. Laporte is selecting the very team I wanted to see, with Traille behind instead of Pointrenaud. Only difference with Laporte, I would have taken Nallet to start, and not Pelous, who I think is past it. For the first time in years, we'll have two players with huge kicking abilities (the other one being Traille). Elissalde will always have two possibilities, and they'll bombard the AB back from two angles. That's very good, considering how high the AB back line usually play.

Laporte is betting on a very rugged defence for an hour, with the two missile launchers in the back to pin the blacks back, and frustrate them. After an hour, Michalak will come in (for Beauxis) Chabal for Pelous, and Szarzevski for Ibanez. The French game will be re energised, and they'll try to run at the AB...

The only problem of this plan is that it's very easy to read. If I can, everybody AB does as well.

But in view of that, I still increase the French likelyhood of a victory from 15 to 30%!!! I'm very excited about it.

MOBIUS
03-10-2007, 09:28:14
I was impressed by Beauxis in the game against Georgia. Somehow I have a feeling that the French are going to need a super accurate kicker for that game...;)

I'm very excited about the game too - the atmosphere will be electric!:bounce:

I'm wondering if they will have the roof shut for these games like they did the pool games, cos the French have experience of playing like that in the friendly here just before the WC started. Another tiny edge maybe...?

Funko
03-10-2007, 09:33:39
They did the 'throat cut'* haka vs Scotland, which was good. Apparently the Aussie press whinges and moans when they do it vs the Aussies. :lol:

Speaking of the haka, isn't it better not to respond to a haka at all rather than singing Waltzing Matilda? Must be one of the gayest responses you could possibly think of.

*A kiwi we were with at the NZ Scotland game said apparently although it looks like a throat cutting motion it's actually supposed to represent ripping your own heart out of your chest. Excellent.

maroule
03-10-2007, 09:37:21
that's why they choke so often!

MOBIUS
03-10-2007, 12:50:06
BTW, going to see the All Blacks players at the opening of a new sports shop in town later today...:beer:

MOBIUS
03-10-2007, 13:00:36
BTW #2: It will be the Mostly Greys again as France are playing in their home kit...

Kinda ironic that the two times Funko and Tizzy get to see them they're not even 'All Black'...

Tizzy
03-10-2007, 13:03:29
That grey kit was really annoying against Scotland. Now we've got stupid grey bits on ours I found it really difficult to tell the teams apart at times.

Funko
03-10-2007, 13:18:05
That was ridiculous.

MoSe
03-10-2007, 13:21:13
I actually took one team for the other in that match

For just a little while, of course
:D

Caligastia
03-10-2007, 13:52:22
Those grey uniforms are a travesty, and France should be the ones wearing a second strip seeing as they were runners-up in their pool.

Funko
03-10-2007, 13:56:36
Yeah, then it'd have been white vs black.

Caligastia
03-10-2007, 14:01:02
I don't see a need for either team to wear a second strip anyway. Their regular uniforms are sufficiently different IMO.

Oerdin
03-10-2007, 14:03:43
Wow, it's like we need a sports forum or something.

maroule
03-10-2007, 14:15:52
Originally posted by Caligastia
Those grey uniforms are a travesty, and France should be the ones wearing a second strip seeing as they were runners-up in their pool.

We're playing in Cardiff and we're not making a huge fuss about it, so deal with the shirt situation without throwing a tantrum, that's bloody ridiculous... you lost the toss, full point.

Besides, nobody forced NZ to create such an ugly second kit...

"Their regular uniforms are sufficiently different IMO."
They're very similar, I doubt the IRB, who's running tests today, will agree with that, especially after the NZ Scotland fiasco.

Shining1
03-10-2007, 14:49:27
Wow, it's like we need a sports forum or something.

But people actually seem to be interested in this game? =)

btw seriously kick ass post Maroule. Bon Chance Monseiur!

MOBIUS
03-10-2007, 14:52:26
Especially if you're colour blind or only have a B&W TV...

And nobody asked New Zealand to design such a sucky second kit anyway - there are plenty of precedents for grey being a shit colour for a team kit...:rolleyes:

MoSe
03-10-2007, 14:53:34
"full point"??????????????????

Shining1
03-10-2007, 14:56:29
What I don't get is that Scotland and New Zealand are about the only two teams in the Tournament who NEED different kit when they play (Dark Blue vs. All Black).

How is it then that those two teams end up with the same indistinguishable blurred grey mess on their uniforms?

More evidence that the IRB is run by people who just want to cut to the 'rich and fat oligarchy' bit of running an international sport, without putting in the work that the IOC and FIFA did to actually develop the game(s) first.

MoSe
03-10-2007, 14:59:03
maybe they still cultivate the romantic idea that after 2 minutes all the outfits in a rugby match would look the same "mud brown"...

:cute:

maroule
03-10-2007, 15:32:11
Originally posted by Shining1
Bon Chance Monseiur!

:beer:
I won't say "may the best team wins", but I can chance a "may the best team on the field at that precise moment wins"

at any rate, let's hope we'll see a cracking match of rugby. It won't be free running (the French will really rely on their defence) but it should still be a very intense, passionate and thrilling encounter

Venom
03-10-2007, 15:39:06
Originally posted by Funko
Yeah, then it'd have been white vs black.

Racist!

Caligastia
03-10-2007, 15:42:56
Originally posted by maroule
We're playing in Cardiff and we're not making a huge fuss about it, so deal with the shirt situation without throwing a tantrum, that's bloody ridiculous... you lost the toss, full point.

Tantrum?:lol:
Just stating my opinion that the rules should be changed...no ire on my part.:)

Besides, nobody forced NZ to create such an ugly second kit...

"Their regular uniforms are sufficiently different IMO."
They're very similar, I doubt the IRB, who's running tests today, will agree with that, especially after the NZ Scotland fiasco.

The NZ and Scottish uniforms are definitely too similar, but NZ and France have played in their normal strips before without incident. Honestly, look at this picture and tell me the difference isn't pronounced.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/91/France_All_Blacks_16-11-2002.jpg

Caligastia
03-10-2007, 15:46:31
Hmm...then again, that pic is a few years old and the uniform has changed to all blue. The white shorts are gone. I guess they dropped the tricolores nickname...

maroule
03-10-2007, 15:53:26
in terms of tantrum, I actually was thinking more about the amount of articles I saw on the subject and the conspiracy theories around it

the pic you're showing is the old french kit, lighter shade of blue, white shorts... this pic is probably several years old

the new new kit is a much darker shade of blue, uniform (dark blue shorts) with a dark red stripe...

some NZ media are saying that it was done on purpose to undermine the AB... which is pretty stupid when you know how these decisions are taken... Adidas is making the decisions, on commercial imperatives alone: the new kit is more streamlined, aggressive, to appeal the macho crowds and sell more...

maroule
03-10-2007, 15:54:56
Originally posted by Caligastia
Hmm...then again, that pic is a few years old and the uniform has changed to all blue. The white shorts are gone. I guess they dropped the tricolores nickname...

there you go
and "les tricolores" is not the way to designate the team, "les bleus" is... I guess they should be called "les all blues" then...

maroule
03-10-2007, 15:59:02
http://ww2.sport24.com/photos/1190878086.jpg

Caligastia
03-10-2007, 16:44:03
Well, call me old-fashioned, but I miss the old colours. I miss the loose-fitting collared jerseys too.:(

Shining1
03-10-2007, 22:20:30
I do as well, but not as much as I thought I would.

It doesn't really affect the game tremedously. Just so long as they don't start playing in those AFL style teeny tiny shorts!

Spartak
07-10-2007, 06:47:13
:bounce:

Greg W
07-10-2007, 08:06:15
Originally posted by Greg W
Yes, the 4 year Kiwi choke! It's allright, I think you'll finally get past it this year...Well, don't I look (even more) stupid now. :cute:

Spartak
07-10-2007, 17:11:05

Shining1
08-10-2007, 01:11:13
:bouncmsk:

Funko
08-10-2007, 08:41:52
I overheard a kiwi as we were leaving the stadium trying to get his mates to start a chant of 2011. :lol:

maroule
08-10-2007, 09:10:56
how was the game, from the stadium?

Tizzy
08-10-2007, 09:15:44
Amazing. The atmosphere was fantastic.

Funko
08-10-2007, 10:16:25
Especially from the French supporters, they were magnificent.

MOBIUS
08-10-2007, 10:44:59
Or even 'magnifique'...! Glad you guys had a great time - what an awesome, awesome day!!!

Morgan's got some great pics of crazy Frenchmen up to hijinks in Cardiff, so we'll have to upload a couple of those later on...

Caligastia
08-10-2007, 15:33:18
Jeez, thanks a lot Luke "We're the best" McAlister.:rolleyes: What a ****...he mouths off about what a great team NZ are, and then costs us the RWC with a schoolboy foul. The French would not likely have scored their 1st try if NZ had had 15 on the field.

And what the hell was up with the touch judges? Not only did they miss the forward pass on the run that led to the winning French try, but "Spreaders" couldn't even see that Ali Williams feet were out for that first *almost* NZ try.

At this point we may as well give the cup to the Boks.

Funko
08-10-2007, 15:41:57
Yeah, 'cause there haven't been any upsets in the world cup so far.

Funko
08-10-2007, 15:42:45
Although I'm not sure SA would be favourites against France at home in the final.

MOBIUS
08-10-2007, 16:02:28
Yeah right, McAllister prevented a near certain try with his blatant block and at the time France only came away with 3 points. It was a cynical foul with calculated risks he must have felt were worth it at the time, and anyway France scored the winning try with 15 All Blacks on the field albeit with a forward pass.

Excuses, excuses as usual Cali...:D

maroule
08-10-2007, 16:04:08
odds wise, I doubt it, but that's to be determined according to the way both win their SF

it takes a very special team to beat the host in a final: England did it last time, but they were visibly stronger than the other teams. The boks have wobbled so far, and their best game (against England) was perhaps misleading. We'll see. If they dispatch Argentina with ease (which I doubt), I'll revise my judgement.

Caligastia
08-10-2007, 19:16:08
Originally posted by MOBIUS
Yeah right, McAllister prevented a near certain try with his blatant block and at the time France only came away with 3 points. It was a cynical foul with calculated risks he must have felt were worth it at the time, and anyway France scored the winning try with 15 All Blacks on the field albeit with a forward pass.

Certain try?:lol: There were 2 All Black chasers ahead of both of them if you recall, and his yellow card most certainly led to the 1st French try.

Excuses, excuses as usual Cali...:D

What excuses? McAllister is a twat, was my point.

Caligastia
08-10-2007, 19:19:51
Originally posted by maroule
odds wise, I doubt it, but that's to be determined according to the way both win their SF

it takes a very special team to beat the host in a final: England did it last time, but they were visibly stronger than the other teams. The boks have wobbled so far, and their best game (against England) was perhaps misleading. We'll see. If they dispatch Argentina with ease (which I doubt), I'll revise my judgement.

Wouldn't it be great if the final turned out to be a France/Argentina rematch?:bounce:

Shining1
09-10-2007, 04:40:38

maroule
09-10-2007, 07:33:13
I commented on that earlier, it would be the ultimate narrative for this WC

Funko
09-10-2007, 08:07:56
I mentioned it too. :p

MoSe
09-10-2007, 08:11:41
and I lurked that too

Caligastia
09-10-2007, 15:25:30
If Argentina ended up getting to the final and beating France, it would almost make up for the NZ loss...almost.

maroule
09-10-2007, 16:11:11
that would be admitedly an amazing narrative

France winning it would make for a very satisfying ending too :D

Now seriously, if it comes to Arg-France in finals (there is still some way to that... although it could happen for the "small final", in which case it would be meaningless), there would be a fascinating script: Arg would have an obvious psychological advantage (but tired legs, they have a starting 15 and no back ups), while France would have a "factual" advantage (heavy squad rotation, so a much fresher team, thirst for revenge, but possible fear?)...

In any cases, the 4 matches coming up are very exciting, and this WC could turn out to be the best ever

Funko
09-10-2007, 16:13:58
I think it is already the best ever, and I hope the last 4 games don't spoil it.

Well if it's spoilt by England fatting their way to retaining it, that'd be ok.

Caligastia
09-10-2007, 16:41:58

Shining1
09-10-2007, 23:40:18
We still wouldn't let them in the tri-nations, I'm sure. =(

Greg W
10-10-2007, 03:55:53
England? God no.

Funko
10-10-2007, 08:22:55

Drekkus
10-10-2007, 08:29:19
Why is this thread not in the sports forum?

Funko
10-10-2007, 08:37:12
Oh, there is one in the Sports forum too.