PDA

View Full Version : Are any of you Brits going to go see the hockey game?

Koshko
28-09-2007, 21:57:11
Apparently the NHL is beginning the regular season tomorrow ... in London, England. :hmm:

Lazarus and the Gimp
29-09-2007, 08:13:56
Observe the overwhelming wave of indifference.

Oerdin
29-09-2007, 13:28:59
Exabition games are designed to attract a new audience. They rarely do.

I'm still trying to figure out why Canadian teams are in the National Hockey League and Baseball's National League. Some American states can't even get teams in those leagues.

fp
29-09-2007, 17:18:01
This is the first I've heard of it and I follow the sports news a lot over here.

MOBIUS
29-09-2007, 17:30:10
Really!!?

Again the first I've heard of it too - and I have two tickets to the first NFL regular season game to be held outside of the US in October...

I think someone in the advertising dept of the NHL pucked up...

Scabrous Birdseed
29-09-2007, 17:54:43
I think the "Nation" in NHL is meant to be Canada, isn't it? Still doesn't explain why a league which was binational from the start isn't called "AHL" or something.

It's interesting that they're so actively courting the English, considering Hockey is seen as a silly Americanised spectacle over there. I realise the Swedish, Finnish, Czech and Slovak markets are fairly small and NHL-saturated, but Russia is huge and Hockey-mad... Or why not an up and coming country like Switzerland or Germany?

notyoueither
29-09-2007, 18:35:01
Originally posted by Oerdin

It's not exhibition. The Kings and Ducks are playing their first 2 regular season games in London today and tomorrow.

I'm still trying to figure out why Canadian teams are in the National Hockey League and Baseball's National League. Some American states can't even get teams in those leagues.

The league started with all Canadian teams and everyone was too lazy to change it.

Originally posted by MOBIUS
Really!!?

Again the first I've heard of it too - and I have two tickets to the first NFL regular season game to be held outside of the US in October...

I think someone in the advertising dept of the NHL pucked up...

Not big news I'd guess, buit the games were sold out shortly after going on sale FWIH.

There are a surprising number of NHL fans in Britain.

Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
It's interesting that they're so actively courting the English, considering Hockey is seen as a silly Americanised spectacle over there. I realise the Swedish, Finnish, Czech and Slovak markets are fairly small and NHL-saturated, but Russia is huge and Hockey-mad... Or why not an up and coming country like Switzerland or Germany?

I think it's a test. They may have more games with more teams in various parts of Europe if they are happy with the results.

If they could line the sponsorships up it would be cool to have each division based in a region and have several games played over a 7 to 10 day period in each area.

The Mad Monk
29-09-2007, 18:52:45
Because translators cost money?

Koshko
29-09-2007, 20:55:32
Actually the NHL started with both Canadian and American teams.

Scabrous Birdseed
29-09-2007, 21:58:16
Originally posted by notyoueither
I think it's a test. They may have more games with more teams in various parts of Europe if they are happy with the results.

If they could line the sponsorships up it would be cool to have each division based in a region and have several games played over a 7 to 10 day period in each area.

It might work (certainly better than the idea of a separate European division with new franchises) but still, why start with Britain in that case? It seems like they're not trying to sell the NHL (which would be more sensible to launch into estabilshed hockey markets) as much as the sport itself.

To put it in perspective for the brits, hockey is currently in a similar position to rugby and cricket. Relatively large on a worldwide scale, but very selectively so with a relatively small number of internationally competitive countries. Cricket has, what, eight or nine consistently good international sides? Ice hockey has seven. Rugby has maybe nine if you're generous.

Below them is a very distinctly lower tier of a few sides that will occasionally beat a top-level side, at which point it's always labelled an upset. After that it's nothing but amateurs. The positions are locked to the extent that there is no migration of teams between the different levels.

I think an approach targetting the second-tier countries would be more fruitful if they're really trying to broaden hockey's appeal. Why not target Kenya (cricket), Switzerland (hockey) or, I dunno, Fiji (rugby) instead of unlikely expansion markets?

notyoueither
30-09-2007, 05:50:32
Originally posted by Koshko
Actually the NHL started with both Canadian and American teams.

No, it didn't.

The league was going for 7 years before the Bruins joined.

notyoueither
30-09-2007, 06:18:11
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
It might work (certainly better than the idea of a separate European division with new franchises) but still, why start with Britain in that case? It seems like they're not trying to sell the NHL (which would be more sensible to launch into estabilshed hockey markets) as much as the sport itself.

I think an approach targetting the second-tier countries would be more fruitful if they're really trying to broaden hockey's appeal. Why not target Kenya (cricket), Switzerland (hockey) or, I dunno, Fiji (rugby) instead of unlikely expansion markets?

Well, as I said, there are a surprising number of NHL and hockey fans in Britain. Enough to sell out 2 games with near zero promotion (from what is reported).

I don't think they are trying to expand anything other than the market for NHL broadcasts on a PPV or subscription basis.

These games and any future games of the sort will be heavily dependant on sponsorships and other non-ticket revenue as the arenas are unlikely to be able to deliver regular season revenues to compensate the clubs for home games foregone.

Vincent
30-09-2007, 15:43:47
Hockey? You mean ice hockey, right?

Koshko
30-09-2007, 19:25:21
Originally posted by notyoueither
No, it didn't.

The league was going for 7 years before the Bruins joined.

Well I was referring to what is now called "The Original 6". :)

*End Is Forever*
30-09-2007, 20:46:14
I think there's a bigger market for hockey in Britain than Johan thinks. In fact in the late 90s it very nearly made a breakthrough as a spectator sport, but then it all went pear-shaped.

At the start of the superleague, Manchester Storm were regularly attracted 10k+ audiences and other clubs like Sheffield Steelers were not too far behind. Belfast Giants also did really well, possibly as they were a completely new club and entirely without sectarian undertones. There was one night when Storm and City played on the same night, and there were more people at the MEN Arena to watch the hockey than turned up to Maine Road - admittedly in the bad old days at City.

There was talk after a couple of years of Super League of requiring the franchises to have a decent arena - I think they specified a minimum capacity of 6000. Unfortunately they got the whole thing horrendously wrong and the opportunity was missed. Manchester Storm played in front of 17000 sell-outs at the MEN Arena and managed the back page of the MEN occasionally, now the new Manchester team the Phoenix play in a temporary "arena" in Altrincham in front of 2000 people if they're lucky.

The whole thing was just disastrously managed, no-one realised that the support was soft and they went out of the way to piss off the die-hards - for example moving the well-supported Ayr Scottish Eages to Glasgow pissed off all their core support and they never gained the new fans they'd hoped.

Nonetheless I still think the potential is there to make a success of hockey in this country. The current set-up seems to have got the basics right although there is a long way to go to even recover what hockey had in the late nineties.

notyoueither
01-10-2007, 04:17:45
Originally posted by Koshko
Well I was referring to what is now called "The Original 6". :)

I thought you might have been.

However, 'the Original 6' is a misnomer as none of them were in the league when it started. They were the 6 survivors coming out of the depression and war years and into the '1st' expansion in '67.

Shining1
01-10-2007, 05:50:42
There are sports that aren't soccer?! lol

Although, you could potentially market Ice Hockey as 'a sport the Aussies are crap at'. While that would be misleading and irrelevant, it might just be the hook they need to get people along. =)

jsorense
01-10-2007, 06:04:20
Hee Hee, he said "soccer":lol:

Funko
01-10-2007, 08:29:12
I didn't even know it was happening. There's an Ice Hockey team just down the road in Bracknell, but who'd go there?

Funko
01-10-2007, 08:30:00
Originally posted by Oerdin

Thus some American states suck even more than some Canadian cities.

C.G.B. Spender
01-10-2007, 08:45:07
The local team has even a gargantuan entry in the english wikipedia!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburg_Freezers

Koshko
01-10-2007, 20:52:31
Freezers ...

Vincent
01-10-2007, 21:15:01
Well, actually it's pronounced fritz-arse in german

MoSe
02-10-2007, 07:04:46
does der Elbe freeze in winter?
can you skate on it?

C.G.B. Spender
02-10-2007, 08:12:21
1. If it freezes, then in winter.
2. I can't skate at all, since I'm not dutch

Oerdin
02-10-2007, 08:14:51
Dutch people only build windmills - FACT!

Shining1
02-10-2007, 11:29:13
Damn good windmills, though.

MoSe
02-10-2007, 11:31:27
JM's Dutch cousin:

Joon Wind;ukker

Funko
02-10-2007, 11:37:55
Windfukker?

MoSe
02-10-2007, 11:48:58
OG

Jon Windmiller as written by Jon Miller

Funko
02-10-2007, 11:50:15
I was just asking if you were a windfukker, are you?

MOBIUS
02-10-2007, 12:13:25
Our local team is called the Cardiff Devils, playing in the Elite league - but they're not doing well this year...

I've only been to one game, they have weird fans!

Koshko
02-10-2007, 19:54:31
Do they riot after losing?

Fistandantilus
02-10-2007, 20:44:48
Our local team is non existent - FACT

Greg W
02-10-2007, 22:52:21
Hockey in Australia started in 1904 with field hockey gear in Australia's first ice rink, in Adelaide SA. Soon the founding Reid family moved to Melbourne, where the first international game was played vs. the visiting USS Baltimore's crew in 1907. By 1909 the first ever inter-state game was played and won by Victoria, and the Goodall Cup was born. The Goodall cup remained an independent national prize until it was incorporated into the AIHL in 2002, nearly 100 years later.

The Australian Ice Hockey League (http://www.theaihl.com.au/aboutus.aspx) (AIHL) was formed [in 2001] with three teams, following the withdrawal of the Canterbury and Blacktown teams. These three teams were the Sydney Bears, the Adelaide Avalanche and the Canberra Knights. The League was organised ready for expansion, necessary for survival, but in small steps with certainty.

The Adelaide Avalanche won the 2001 AIHL season, and for the first time a play-off game was introduced, which the Avalanche also won.A playoff, with only three teams in the comp? :lol:

Still, it's basically a very minor sport, played by a handful of people. I did go and watch a few games way back in the early 90s, but you'd be lucky to get 50 people to a game.

MoSe
03-10-2007, 06:55:54
Originally posted by Funko
I was just asking if you were a windfukker, are you?

I work for Wind, but I embraced chastity since a couple decades

It's more likely that Wind will one day fuck me, rather than viceversa

_____

BTW, a few years ago I went to watch live a few Milan Vipers hockey team matches with some fanatic friends
I enjoyed them, that's one sport which is definitely better appreciated live, as it's basket too and as soccer is NOT, imho.
But then the attraction faded

I heard they're still around and won or contended the league title a few times.
Provided they're still a Milan team, as they were "born" from the ashes of another Milan franchise which Berlusconi bought wanting to recreate a multisports club as some are in spain and/or england, then merged it with the club from a province town nearby which had better sporting rights... he did a mess then forsaked it all, alienating the already limited interest of the potentail fan base....

____

of course the hockey level in Italy is rather mediocre
I think we struggled in the rercent years to even keep up a decent and regular domestic legaue
Our national team was filled with former italo-americans and italo-canadians who barely spoke italian, and even with that injection only occasionally we managed to unsuccesfully contend (to Switzerland IIRC) the promotion from 2nd tier world group into the elite...

MoSe
03-10-2007, 07:12:08
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Ice_hockey_in_Italy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockey_Club_Junior_Milano_Vipers just a stub!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_national_ice_hockey_team
maybe a bit better than I was aware of
:D
top WC placement: 6th in '94

Anyway, the league has 8 teams in Serie A, and these are Milan Vipers plus 7 teams from Sudtirol or anyway at the Austrian border.

They try to promote the sport amongst youths, and that is done with...
- school tournaments during... Carnival celebrations!
- BEACH-hockey in the summer!
:lol:
http://www.fihockey.org/vsite/vcontent/page/custom/0,8510,1181-136036-137344-24530-89857-custom-item,00.html