PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine

Lazarus and the Gimp
05-09-2007, 17:21:50
Saw this one at the weekend.

It's clearly trying to fall midway between 2001 and Alien, and it actually makes a pretty good job of it. Here are the pros and cons-

Pro

Considering the budget it was made for (small) it looks stunning. Boyle is nothing short of a genius when it comes to wringing every penny-worth of visual impact out of shoestring budgets.

As a study of people falling apart under enormous stress, it works well. Without carpet-chewing histrionics, it captures the characters' plights well.

Boyle generates tension very well, as he proved on 28 Days later. There are a number of real white-knuckle moments.

When immersed in dazzling light, Cillian Murphy really does look astonishing- like a renaissance Old Master's depiction of a saint approaching martyrdom.

Con

The pacing is a bit odd. It's only just over 90 minutes long, and feels like it's lost 15 minutes on the cutting room floor. Expect a Director's Cut.

Michelle Yeoh is underused. Cliff Curtis is a weak stereotype, and Chris Evans is really, really irritating. It could have made a good ensemble piece, but a couple of weak performances drag it down.

The plot's a bit daft. It's good enough for an action picture, but not for a hard sci-fi, which is what this one aspires to.

MOBIUS
12-09-2007, 22:12:55
Visually stunning, scriptually meh...

Nills Lagerbaak
13-09-2007, 21:13:18
Excellent film, I loved it

MoSe
17-09-2007, 14:08:11
saw it months ago on its day out
one digit audience...

maybe I expected too much, I loved it but I was left with a feeling of unwholeness
anyway, it's not a plot movie, it's the voyage, it's the trip....