PDA

View Full Version : The nerds who get the girls

King_Ghidra
04-09-2007, 12:51:12
I really liked this article:

http://film.guardian.co.uk/features/featurepages/0,,2161867,00.html

This summer's big hit, Knocked Up, is the latest in a new genre of romantic comedies in which an unappealing hero gets together with a gorgeous, successful woman. The critics loved it - but if this offensive, misogynist nonsense is the future of cinema then we're in deep trouble

I believe i have previously stated my opposition to this kind of thing in the likes of 'King of Queens'.

Still i think the article ignores the very long tradition of the geek/loser getting the girl in the movies...from the likes of woody allen right back to charlie chaplin etc.

There are some subtleties here because the writer is making quite a specific point, but anyway...

Funko
04-09-2007, 13:04:14
That's interesting because I'm sure I read another article in the Guardian (or Observer) about Knocked Up, praising it for actually giving the woman's point of view equal screen time and focus in the story rather than just concentrating on the male side.

King_Ghidra
04-09-2007, 13:22:46
well the funny thing is when i first saw the trailers i automatically assumed it was some stupid ass immature comedy, and was surprised to see all of the good reviews for it (including the broadsheets and the guardian's own reviewers, as the article notes).

i'd certainly like to read the article you mention.

anyway the specific example of this film aside, i just like the general point the article is making about these kind of things. Not that is it particularly controversial or new to call hollywood misognystic...

Funko
04-09-2007, 13:36:07
Hmm. I think this may have been it, and it isn't as interesting as you might hope:

http://film.guardian.co.uk/features/featurepages/0,,2141819,00.html

King_Ghidra
04-09-2007, 14:57:10
still interesting.

one thing i disagree with in the original article was the idea that a '40 yr old virgin' with a woman as the main char would be unthinkable. i could very easily imagine that working with the right woman in the role. in fact it's an easy set-up for 'the 40 yr old virgin 2'

whether hollywood could take a film like knocked up but where a hard working male exec accidentally impregnates some misfit chick and then sticks by her, well who knows. the comic potential still seems bonafide, but whether it would appeal to the right demographic? i doubt it.

although the likes of ugly betty was at least something along the lines of using an atypical female lead for comic effect

maroule
04-09-2007, 15:11:15
I read this article this morning and thought about posting it...

I liked it but mostly didn't agree with it, because I thought the point was totally irrelevant. The writer seems enraged by the portrayal of clever, ambitious and stunning women falling for smelly looser with the emotional maturity of a 14 years old... He's (or probably she?) widly over-reacting... seeing that happening in real life is as likely as seeing a US president flying a jet against an ET invasion... and no matter how often it is portrayed on film, it will never happen in rl...

(It only happens when the smelly "looser" is in fact a dot com millionaire or global rock star)

He/she might as well protest against the unfair portrayal of werewolves

Funko
04-09-2007, 15:30:51
I don't know why it's any more unrealistic that a stunning ambitious and clever woman would get drunk and sleep with someone totally unsuitable than that it is that a handsome, ambitious man would sleep with a smelly loser woman.

maroule
05-09-2007, 08:26:41
it's not the sleeping part that unrealistic, that's the follow up (keeping the baby, working out the relationship, sticking with the looser, etc.)

in other words, Funko, you might have slept with a stunning sex godess, but she never called you back

(note: it is appropriate to make a witty remark to flatter Tizzy, but it doesn't cancel my point)

mr_B
06-09-2007, 07:53:04
I saw that movie last night and, I mean, it was like ... totally AWESOME

C.G.B. Spender
06-09-2007, 08:26:45
Originally posted by mr_B
I saw that movie last night and, I mean, it was like ... totally AWESOME

maroule
06-09-2007, 08:37:40
dude

novacane
13-09-2007, 00:27:25
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
the likes of ugly betty was something along the lines of comic effect
yeah, nearly.

King_Ghidra
13-09-2007, 16:13:13
nice remix of my original comment :p

King_Ghidra
28-01-2008, 09:42:55
saw Knocked Up yesterday, thought it was very funny.

Not a perfect film by any means, but plenty of lol moments.