PDA

View Full Version : PES 2008

King_Ghidra
31-08-2007, 08:56:27
Some gameplay footage from the ps3.

http://www.game1.nl/gamevideos/videos/gameplay/4059/Pro-Evolution-Soccer-2008---Gameplay.html

http://www.backofthenet.info/2007/08/pro-evo-2008-gameplay-video.html

Looks quite nice i think. Pretty much identical animations and suchlike.

King_Ghidra
31-08-2007, 09:05:33
and some further details gleaned from pesfan:

More licensing, but EA do have an exclusive licence on the prem league so not sure what's going to happen there.

Commentary team is Jon champion and mark lawrenson. so should be like listening to 5 live.

you can dive via the shoulder buttons. still a bit vague on the implementation.

"players used to the ps2 games will be in for a shock as the game engine is an upgrade to the XBOX 360 version of pes6 - but luckily it has been vastly improved (Shooting feels right, players feel more weighty, better goal keeping etc) and best of all the force field that always has protected the keeper to win every high ball has gone! So get your elbows in lads! haha."

King_Ghidra
14-09-2007, 08:20:54
I played the 360 demo of FIFA 08 today and was very pleasantly surprised.

I thought the off-the ball movement was really good, the shape of the teams seems good, the skill moves don't seem overpowered, all good things. The shooting actually seemed a lot more intuitive and under control than in PES too. The control does feel a little 'heavy' compared to PES but then each new version of PES feels very heavy until you've got used to it.

Superficially the graphics are lovely and the animations are good too.

If PES 2008 on 360 trips up i will have a very difficult decision to make...

fp
14-09-2007, 09:12:26
Hmm, interesting. So the players don't feel like they're skating around on ice anymore?

The presentation and wealth of options of the FIFA series has always appealed to me. PES is still stuck in the stone ages in those respects. If EA have sorted the gameplay out I may have to consider defecting.

King_Ghidra
19-09-2007, 08:31:54
it does have a lingering sluggishness, but otherwise i can't fault it much. Lots of depth to the control mechanism, good tactical AI, solid feel to the graphics, collision and ball physics.

Reading the debate on the EA forums about whether it is any good or not is quite interesting actually, in terms of seeing the detractors opinions of PES. They complain about it being too fast, arcadey, with on-rails animations and goals. Many people express the opinion that FIFa has established a more tactical and rewarding approach. Interesting stuff really, given that that probably runs counter to how PES fans have traditionally perceived their own product (i.e. a real football sim not some kiddy goalfest bollocks)

Anyway, i remain very tempted to buy. I think it's out next week.

maroule
19-09-2007, 08:40:00
let us know if you do
I've seen a lenghty presentation on a game channel, of about 30mn. Looks better because the physics of the ball is noticiably more realistic, off the ball mouvement look better, but I have doubts on the dribbling. It looks a bit erratic at best.

King_Ghidra
24-09-2007, 21:21:43
ooh now the pes 2008 demo is up on xbl too. just downloading now.

King_Ghidra
24-09-2007, 22:28:30
Hmmm. I played 3 games.

After fifa 08 this feels like playing on crack. It's very quick. The graphics suck ass in comparison with fifa. I'm not convinced by the ball movement either, it felt much less natural than fifa.

Play-wise it was very easy to pick up and get in the old rhythm again. Gameplay felt pretty familiar. I played two of the games on top player and it wasn't hard (France didn't manage a shot against my brazil team until the 72nd minute in my last game)

Made various different kinds of attacks and goals with equal effectiveness. So though crosses were definitely dangerous, short passing was too.
Fouling off-ball seemed to happen more, say when a player was receiving a pass they would get shoved to the floor before it arrived at their feet.

Very difficult to say which i will get on this basis. Pes wins on the familiarity and it might be more fun multiplayer simply because of the speed, but is it a better game than fifa 08? Well i'm not convinced by what i've seen so far.

King_Ghidra
25-09-2007, 07:03:45
Played a couple more games of both this morning. I really don't like the feel of the ball in pes. It's like a big marble not a football. That said, the gameplay does flow very nicely and every match is end to end.

Fifa really is a slower, more patient tactical-feeling game though. It might just be a matter of taste for people.

Oh and of course fifa pisses on pes for the presentation too. Here's a really nice touch: when you press start on the title screen you don't go into a menu, you start in an arena with a goal, a goalie and you controlling ronaldinho. You can run around dribble and shoot immediately.

fp
25-09-2007, 12:28:43
Interesting. I may have to give some serious thought to getting FIFA.

maroule
25-09-2007, 13:59:00
this is an ironic twist of fate
I came to this board about 5 years ago (!?) being a regular FIFA fan boy... read Funko and KG discussing PES and decided to buy it... got immensely frustrated, then elated, then finally managed to crack the mother fucker...

Seeing now the high priest of PES making that type of comments is like reading about Mother Teresa doubting the existence of God...

King_Ghidra
25-09-2007, 14:30:53
:lol:

I was surprised myself. I wouldn't have even considered it some ears ago.

I think partly i'm just so fascinated by the fact that pes feels so 'arcadey' compared to fifa when i had assumed it was the other way round for many years.

Anyway, PES2008 still plays very well, so i don't think anyone will regret buying it. It just didn't wow me.

King_Ghidra
25-09-2007, 21:17:24
diving in pes 2008:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPBh06kPrsA

King_Ghidra
28-09-2007, 08:49:59
i've made my mind up, i'm buying fifa 08 today. first thoughts over the weekend sometime.

maroule
28-09-2007, 11:40:14
cool, let us know
I'm getting Halo3 for this WE, so I can wait next one :)

Fistandantilus
28-09-2007, 11:50:43
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
diving in pes 2008:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPBh06kPrsA

:lol:

Actually I like pes 08 better than 6 because I find it way easier :o

fp
28-09-2007, 11:56:11
I've found the PES games to be too easy for a few years now. Maybe it's time I switched franchises too...

King_Ghidra
01-10-2007, 07:01:54
FIFA 08 is really good.

A scattershot of good and bad things:

The AI plays a good game. Your own team-mates make good runs offensively and keep their defensive shape well.

The ball movement and behaviour is superb. It spins and curls away when players are falling as they shoot, it bounces naturally, it is spot on.

The dribbling feels natural and the special moves are not overpowered.

Commentary is brilliant - martin tyler and andy gray sound just as slick as a real game on sky.

Players take a touch too often when you want them to first-time the ball, particularly in volleying/heading situations.

If the ball bounces clear from a challenge as an attacker, you often can't switch player until the opposition has touched it, despite one of your other players being better placed to get the ball. can be annoying.

Graphics are lovely. Player animations are terrific, stadiums looks stunning, etc.

Bizarrely no weather effects. Not the end of the world but i think it's over 10 years since a football game first featured rain. A strange omission.

Online play is easy and lag-free. I played four games i think, and it was great fun.

And of course it has all the usual trimmings of an ea game, general presentation, great indie-based music tracks, unlockable secrets etc.

Overall: love it.

MattHiggs
03-10-2007, 17:23:28
Sold!