PDA

View Full Version : Most credible blatantly commercial pop act

Lazarus and the Gimp
15-08-2007, 19:11:17
Which act most successfully combined blatantly commercial chart-friendly pop values with serious musical credibility?

I'm going for Adam and the Ants. A brilliantly vibrant pop group making killer pop songs that kids swooned over. And yet they had serious punk points too- the first gig the Sex Pistols ever played was supporting Adam's band, and Malcolm poached the first Ants line-up. Then you get the wildly eclectic musical influences as well- just check out the twin drummers rattling out Burundi rhythms.

Debaser
15-08-2007, 20:08:53
Abba? The Beatles?

Musical credibility is for snobs.

C.G.B. Spender
16-08-2007, 07:04:58
You think so? I'm not sure. Music is music, that's right. But there are some posers I really dislike.

Especially those suckers acting like Mother Theresa and being pricks once the cameras turned off.

I think the idea that "pop" means stupid engineered plastic stuff made by fascists producers only for the money, laughing at their fans, is wrong.

Funko
16-08-2007, 08:17:33
How can anyone even begin to compete with The Beatles in this category?

Other than them Prince or Michael Jackson would be contenders. Eminem even.

Although I am taking "most successfully" to mean had the most success through doing it.

Scabrous Birdseed
16-08-2007, 09:07:35
I think we need to be on the clear what we mean by commercial pop practically all african-american music and most dance music has been driven by commerical motives hasn't it, and produced some sizeable hits in any era? They do by building credibility within a certain community first though.

Pure commercial pop acts bypass the connoiseurs though and go straight to the inexperienced music consumers without being vetted. Many of the consumers are going to be children or young teens, the music will almost always have a derivative connection to a "contemporary" style to make it feel fresh, it will be "softer" and more polyphonic and many of the complexities will be taken out. It will resist branding itself as edgy, hard, or hardcore.

Pure pop's very first incranation by that definition is Kasenets-Katz-era Bubblegum from about 1967-71, and that's a genre that's got a fair bit of credibility I think. The Monkees, for instance, have been fairly upvalued in recent years.

Gramercy Riffs
16-08-2007, 09:27:20
Pet Shop Boys or ABBA

Scabrous Birdseed
16-08-2007, 09:46:07
Funnily enough I was about to mention the Pet Shop Boys in the completely opposite context, as a successful community-centered act, and influenced by New York Hi-NRG producer Bobby "O", who's got every property of a commercial producer except that he went through the dance community instead of straight to the kids.

C.G.B. Spender
16-08-2007, 09:48:07
25 years ago Depeche Mode was regarded as teenage girls stuff, today they're one of the most influencial 80s giants

jsorense
16-08-2007, 13:29:55
"The Monkeys"