04-08-2007, 17:48:40
Thought this article might be interest some here:
http://www.prospect-magazine.co.uk/article_details.php?id=9735

Vincent
04-08-2007, 18:36:05
I thought this would be about the Sweet

Scabrous Birdseed
04-08-2007, 18:57:05
Some of the stuff is very interesting (I like the bit about covermount CDs) but unfortunately the article makes no attempt at answering the most interesting and speculative question: What does it actually mean for the music?

Because the way music gets economic revenue has always influenced it, not only as a business but as an artform.

Who is the customer? What do they use the music for? What are their insterests? Obviously the success of any act is based on how they're able to satisfy the demands of the customers, whoever they are. If licencing music for movies and ads makes more money than selling records, then isn't te music going to be geared towards what would be successful in a movie or ad?

Three more concrete, real-life examples:

In Jamaica, music producers' revenue has been centered around the creation of Dubplates, exclusive tracks that will bring people to Sound System dances (which is where the real money is). The "consumer" is the sound system operator, and the demand is always for having the freshest new sound. And indeed, the Jamaican recording industry is in constant sonical change, faster than any other of comparable size.

In Bombay, the "customer" for music producers is the film industry of Bollywood, which makes the real money in the industry. And indeed the music is adapted to work well in the musical film setting, bombastic and with filmic melodramatic themes.

In Detroit, there's a genre called Ghetto-Tech where the revenue is generated through the main DJs/Producers playing their music at strip clubs. And what do you know? The tracks are fast, rhythmic and unbelievably misogynistic.

---

As for what will happen now - look at a genre that has made its main profit margin off T-shirt sales for decades, Heavy Metal. It's not a coincidence the music is so graphic and cartoonish, is it?

Scabrous Birdseed
07-08-2007, 13:01:49
So, no-one has any ideas about how this will impact music? :( I even trolled all metal fans!