PDA

View Full Version : Sandbox Games (GTA and Crackdown, others)

Centara Fugue
29-07-2007, 17:36:27
Originally posted by Morte in the Return of the 'What have you been playing lately' thread. (http://www.counterglow.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36283)
I've finally come to the conclusion I only buy new GTA games to listen to the radio stations.

I've only tried playing the GTA games a little, but every time I come away with the feeling of "What do people think is so fun about this?" I think it is perhaps that I just don't like doing things like killing random people and hijacking cars, even in a video game.

There's another sandbox game called Crackdown for the X-Box 360, but it lets you develop superpowers while you're playing around in the sandbox, and you're a supercop, which probably would suit my good guy preference better. I don't even own a 360, but I'm curious if anybody on here has tried it and if so, what did you think?

I wonder if MMOs can be thought of as sandbox games.

Spore looks good.

Centara Fugue
29-07-2007, 17:40:17
Heh, just thought of another couple.

Sims is cute, but I wasn't able to get into it enough to get a copy (tried at my cousin's house).

Sim City (the original one) is addictive as hell, but at some point I realized I was continuing to play because I was addicted, when in fact I had ceased to have fun hours before.

Scabrous Birdseed
29-07-2007, 18:29:40
Ah, but do they have good radio stations?

Centara Fugue
30-07-2007, 02:43:54
Quiet evening, it seems. I guess my point with this thread is to spark a discussion of games that are sandboxes and people's impressions of them, and not just to discuss whether people like Crackdown.

Funko
30-07-2007, 08:33:26
I normally find that the problem with sandbox games is that either they get repetitive because there's not enough stuff to do or they rely too much scripted storylines and progressions to really be a sandbox.

King_Ghidra
30-07-2007, 09:47:41
GTA has always had the balance right for me.

Test Drive Unlimited on 360 was a nice example of a driving sandbox game. I spent a long time just driving around and exploring the sights of the gameworld.

In my experience, MMO's rarely fit the sandbox mould, because they normally have quite restrictive level requirements on the areas and any attempts to explore lead to insta-death.

MDA
30-07-2007, 11:03:36
Tropico was a great sandbox game - the sand is included!

King_Ghidra
30-07-2007, 13:04:33
Syndicate on the Amiga was one of the first games that gave a sandbox-like experience. You could just walk around the streets causing trouble and gunning down civilians, or you could pick various different ways of doing the missions. It was a good one for experimentation.

Vincent
30-07-2007, 13:11:48
UFO was quite cool too