PDA

View Full Version : Throw the book at them - Mirror reporters arrested planting 'fake bomb'

Funko
25-07-2007, 09:57:33
http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,,2134075,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=11

Two Daily Mirror journalists were arrested yesterday after attempting to plant a fake bomb on a train in what the newspaper called a "legitimate and justified journalistic experience".

The reporters were arrested at Stonebridge Park depot in north-west London after railway staff noticed the men carrying fake equipment and approached them to ask what they were doing on the site before contacting the British Transport police to report the trespass.

A police spokesman said the men were arrested at the depot yesterday afternoon and taken to a police station nearby. The matter was still being investigated and no charges had yet been laid, police said.

The Mirror has a long history of 'exposing' security weaknesses and then printing them for the public to read without telling the authorities first.

Good to see they were caught though.

Drekkus
25-07-2007, 10:19:59
If they get away with it without being noticed, good job exposing the omissions.
If they get caught trying it, they should be trialed the normal way someone who would place a fake bomb would be trialed

Gnostic
25-07-2007, 10:21:58
Didn't you Brits just send some guys to jail for pretending to detonate bombs as a protest? Don't get me wrong, I think you should shoot the bastards but you have to be even handed I would have thought.

Funko
25-07-2007, 10:26:59
Originally posted by Drekkus
If they get away with it without being noticed, good job exposing the omissions.
If they get caught trying it, they should be trialed the normal way someone who would place a fake bomb would be trialed

Yeah, but if they get away with it and then publish the story without giving the authorities any warning they are publishing a "How To" guide to subvert security and they do it in a highly sensationalistic way.

Funko
25-07-2007, 10:28:17
Originally posted by Gnostic
Didn't you Brits just send some guys to jail for pretending to detonate bombs as a protest? Don't get me wrong, I think you should shoot the bastards but you have to be even handed I would have thought.

Kind of. They were actualy jailed for Soliciting Murder and Race Hatred.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_News/2007/07/19/protesters_jailed_for_soliciting_murder/9192/

Gnostic
25-07-2007, 10:36:51
I thought they tried to blow up buses or something

Funko
25-07-2007, 10:47:35
Oh those guys.

They weren't fake bombs, that was their defence but the prosecution proved that the bombs they tried to make would have been incredibly effective if they hadn't made a schoolboy error on the explosives formula.

Gnostic
25-07-2007, 10:51:00
Ah. Well that's another reason to shoot them.

Drekkus
25-07-2007, 10:51:24
Originally posted by Funko
Yeah, but if they get away with it and then publish the story without giving the authorities any warning they are publishing a "How To" guide to subvert security and they do it in a highly sensationalistic way. Well, I reckon the security will be changed after incidents like that?

Funko
25-07-2007, 10:54:48
Sure, tell someone first, let them fix the security then publish the story.

Cort Haus
25-07-2007, 11:39:39
Yeah, throw the book at them. It's about time journos were reminded that they're not above the law.

They are trying to spread terror because terror sells newspapers. They can blight people's live with fear as much as the real terrorists.

Lock the fuckers up.