PDA

View Full Version : What would you pay for an album?

Scabrous Birdseed
15-07-2007, 13:46:10
What's the maximum amount of money you would, in theory, spend on a record or CD? I realise it depends on format, condition, whether it's new or used, rarity level, etc. etc. but, say, how much would you spend on:

A record you've never heard of that you like the cover of? A record you've heard good things about but never heard? A record you've got in, say, MP3 format at home already? That very special record that you've been searching for for ages? etc. etc.

Lazarus and the Gimp
15-07-2007, 17:49:35
The most I ever spent was 20 on Tim Buckley's "Starsailor", when you could only get it on Japanese import. I paid a similar amout for a Tomas Koner album too.

Debaser
15-07-2007, 18:40:19
I used to like it when most albums cost 9.99 (and doubles were 14.99). Seems a fair price. I mean actualy physical CDs though, downloading an album should cost way less, like 4.99 max.

Not sure what the most I ever paid was, not sure I've ever really paid lots for anything.

Scabrous Birdseed
15-07-2007, 18:42:29
If double albums count I once paid 27 or thereabouts for Bounty Killer's "Ghetto Dictionary". Also I once paid nearly 70 for a box set which I totally regret. I came very close to ordering a 20 CD from Japan once but ultimately decided against it, and it's not avialable any more.

But the question isn't how much have you spent on an album but how much would you spend? I find I'm much cheaper these days- probably wouldn't spend more than a tenner and generally much less than that. I've mostly stopped listening to my CDs in favour of Vinyl and MP3s (both of which are cheaper) and I think that has something to do with it.

I generally only buy 10 kr (70p) albums in thrift stores at the moment, only paying more if I know the stuff is good or at least think it might be. Like today I bought a bunch of 20 kr records but only stuff I either knew or knew the artist of. I've never bought a vinyl LP for more than 80 kr (just over a fiver) and that was an exception.

Vincent
15-07-2007, 19:03:19
I usually don't pay more tha 10 eur

Koshko
15-07-2007, 19:29:00
People still buy stuff?

Oerdin
15-07-2007, 20:46:21
$15 and that's only if the CD had at least 20 tracks and the whole album is great. Most albums can be bought for around $8 these days. Also I have a policy of downloading the music and listening to the whole album to make sure I like it before I plunk down my hard earned cash. If I do like it though I do buy a legit copy because I like to support artists who make good music.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
16-07-2007, 09:44:20
I paid 39.99 each for the Brian Eno box sets- admittedly this was in the 90s, and they hold 3 discs each and have little discography booklets and groovy graphics and hard to find tracks... and an ability to make me come up with any excuse for purchasing them.

There is an irritating Paul Morley essay, but one doesn't have to read it.

I did swap a load of old vinyl stuff bought cheaply for a fan club only St Etienne c.d. which was priced at over 100.00 ...

Mr. Bas
16-07-2007, 09:48:23
I have paid around 20 e for a few albums in the past, and I will probably again do so if it's really good and not available at some lower price. I did pay more for box sets in the past (Velvet Underground, Nirvana), but that doesn't really count I suppose... Most of the albums I buy are somewhere between 5 and 15 e, in particular the somewhat older ones can usually be bought for around 10 e. At that price you can still take a gamble on an album every now and then, I don't really buy more expensive stuff unless I have good indications I'd really like it. I don't download that much though, because of a crappy internet connection at home.

King_Ghidra
16-07-2007, 10:33:12
i recall paying c. 18 for various import rap albums a decade ago.

these days i resent paying over a tenner for LPs

Foetus
22-07-2007, 18:07:18
twenty british pounds.