PDA

View Full Version : My head of department is a waste of space.

Beta1
11-07-2007, 18:21:50
just seen my timetable for next year.

So after pulling her ass out of the fire by agreeing to teach half of each year's A level chemistry course, write the scheme of work and pick up extra GCSE chemistry guess what I get for my new year 10 classes.

One set two, two set fives and two set six biology sets. Thats both bottom sets in a year where their IQs would still be in single figures if you multiplied them all together.

And an extra bottom set year 11.

On top of this we get out timetable cut by 25% in year 10 and year 9. And in year 9 I see about 8 different sets once a fortnight.

Someone please explain to me how I can build a working relationship with a class that I see once a fortnight? I wont know their names before easter.

I'm going to go in and throw a paddy tomorrow. Point out that they will be looking for another chemist before the end of next year which wil leave them unable to complete their A level courses. Might demand a retention pay point as well.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
11-07-2007, 18:50:56
What does all that mean in english?

Beta1
11-07-2007, 20:51:28
basically I saved my department from losing its 6th form science (if you cant offer chemistry at A level you will lose all three sciences as biologist need chem for uni and so do physics).

Then to thank me my boss gives me all the shit sets next year timetabled in such a way that there will be no continuity and so shit behaviour all year.

I think I'll be finding another job shortly, and the school can see how hard it is to find a decent chemistry teacher.

Colon
11-07-2007, 21:09:59
Need further translation.

fp
11-07-2007, 21:22:26
Translation:

Beta got totally screwed.

He bailed his boss (and the whole school, really) out of a problem and was rewarded by getting all the shittiest jobs to do for the next year.

DaShi
11-07-2007, 21:27:44
Translation:

Beta wants to form relationships with his students.

Beta1
11-07-2007, 21:49:57
Originally posted by fp
Translation:

Beta got totally screwed.

He bailed his boss (and the whole school, really) out of a problem and was rewarded by getting all the shittiest jobs to do for the next year.

Result - Beta is going to totally screw his boss back.

She is totally incompentant.

Everytime she fails to follow school policy, everytime she fails to support one of next years newly qualified staff, everytime she behaves inappropriately infront of a kid will be documented and passed up to senior managment. Then I'll threaten to resign half way through the year.

its impressive in a department of 11 staff we have a turnover of about 4 per year, purely because of her. Of the current 11 only three (well, two now I'm off that list) will be remotely civil about her.

When the exam results come in this year and they are shite she is really going to have some explaining to do - she fucked up the entry procedures so the kids cant retake just one science if they do badly - they will have to retake all three. Just because she fucked up a entry form.

She can't manage, she can't teach, she cant even remain on good terms with her staff.

Colon
11-07-2007, 22:06:38
Parlez-vous anglais?

Dyl Ulenspiegel
12-07-2007, 08:12:12
Originally posted by Beta1
She can't manage, she can't teach, she cant even remain on good terms with her staff.

Typical boss. As long she can hand on the blame, no problem for her.

Funko
12-07-2007, 08:15:30

She'll go a long way.

MDA
12-07-2007, 10:49:50
future PM? somewhere in politics, anyhow

Beta1
12-07-2007, 17:17:55
as long as its a long way away from me I don't mind.

Went in, told her I would resign by christmas if the timetable goes ahead as planned. she is now in a major panic.

Tomorrow I see the assistant head (who also thinks my boss is a waste of space).

Being the proactive sort I have already torn the provisional timetable to pieces and am producing a more sensible version. It probably wont be changed but by showing that the proposed version is not the only way it can be made to fit I'll blow her arguement for only having top sets out of the water. Also will show the massive deliberate bias in the timetable against certain staff. I wont win and will happily carry out my threat to resign but I think I can probably do irrecoverable damage to her reputation in the school on the way out.

Will quite happily burn bridges here, 90% of the senior managment will support me and I wouldnt want to work with the other 10% again.

Vincent
12-07-2007, 17:35:18
You've got to much of a life

Colon
12-07-2007, 19:43:57
What is he saying?

Lurker the Second
12-07-2007, 21:11:36
Sounds like Beta's a scorned lover. Yup, I'm pretty sure that's it.

Beta1
13-07-2007, 19:14:20
continuing the epic

myself and my co-agitator in the department have now blown the whole department to bits. As of this evening there is basically noone outside us two talking to anyone else in the department.

Someone tipped of senior management I was pissed off and I got caught by my bosses line manager (interesingly my boss has kept the shit going on from her boss as the tip off came form a thrid party). i told her the same I told my boss - the time table was in my opinion unworkable and a recipe for disaster and that if it went ahead i would start looking for a new job next term.

She tried the "timetables are difficult and it cant be improved" line.

Thing is I knew she would try that and produced a timetable I had drawn up which solves the balance issues by swapping all of about 10 lessons.

I pointed out that if I leave at christmas then the A level course next year will be impossible to complete as there is noone else to teach it and they have failed to recruit a chemist for two years.

She started crapping herself. She tried to buy me off by improving my timetable - thing is I'm now so pissed off with the head of department that only a compelte rewrite of the whole thing will do from my point of view. i dont care if i wreck the dept on the way out - as a A-level chemistry teacher I could walk into another job. i also have a cast iron reference from my NQT year that my head of department has already signed.

Then the guy who wrote the timetable ( and rigged it to favour himself) had a massive go at the other teacher who is complaining with me (picture 6 foot guy shouting at 5 foot tall girl).

in the afternoon we both went to see the assistant head who is in charge of us as NQTs - and pointed out that after the science department giving us shit timetables this year and next, one of the new teachers next year has been given all the bottom sets that the head of department doesnt want to teach - then produced timetables showing that bias goes back about 4-5 years.

At that point the assistant head practically blew her top - I really wouldnt like to be in the head of departments shoes next week.

Am feeling very good tonight - have fought the good fight and appear to be winning. next years NQT probably wont get the crap I had, year 9 should get proper teaching, head of department will get shit on from a great height by management, guy who rigged the timetable will probably get bollocked for intimidating a female member of staff and its unlikely he will be allowed near a timetable ever again and i will get a pay rise in september, to teach a term of A level chemistry then go one to a new school having taken my head of department down many pegs and not have to teach in a department where everyone is onlu out for themselves.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
13-07-2007, 21:54:22
"assistant head who is in charge of us as NQTs"

Yeah sure. You just make up all those abbreviations.

Vincent
13-07-2007, 21:57:22
Non Qualified Teachers

Provost Harrison
13-07-2007, 22:11:39
You should work where I work beta, you'd have machinegunned half the management by now, trust me ;)

Provost Harrison
13-07-2007, 22:14:32
My warning is though, if she is that incompetent, how did she get where she is? Not that I am doubting her stupidity, but expressing concern over her "contacts". But sometimes, you have to put your money where your mouth is. My department were planning on sending me back to the lab once this project has finished. I've said I'd rather resign and take my chances than ever go back.

Beta1
14-07-2007, 07:41:27
Originally posted by Vincent
Non Qualified Teachers

newly qualified teacher

Colon
14-07-2007, 13:11:27
I almost understood you there!

MDA
16-07-2007, 11:07:17
there is a whole bridges burned element to this, but it sounds like the students have been getting shorted as well, so... temporary disruption followed by improved education, I hope

good luck!

King_Ghidra
16-07-2007, 12:43:25
as far as i can work out, beta mainly just doesn't want to teach the thick kids.

She is totally incompentant.

:hmm:

Funko
16-07-2007, 12:45:43
Almost, he doesn't want to teach just the thick kids.

Lurker the Second
16-07-2007, 14:15:44
Thick kids are people, too.

Beta1
16-07-2007, 15:21:02
Originally posted by Funko
Almost, he doesn't want to teach just the thick kids.

Partly that, partly that I don't want next year's NQT to have a nervous breakdown from the sets she is meant to be getting but mostly that I want to have a chance to actually teach properly.

Seeing a class once per fortnight you never really get hold of them, never get any routine and so never really get anywhere.

Bit frosty at work this morning, techicians are talking to me, people who are leaving this year are talking to me, Head of department is talking to me (just), timetable git is avoiding me.

Could be worse, I have a feeling SMT might be applying pressure.

MattHiggs
16-07-2007, 15:23:47
Kinky

Funko
16-07-2007, 15:24:31
Small/Medium Teacher?

Chris
16-07-2007, 15:46:36
I can't be bothered reading all that crap, summary please.

Funko
16-07-2007, 16:00:38
Managers suck.

John Doe
16-07-2007, 16:01:19
My thoughts exactly. There should be a word limit on posts.

Funko
16-07-2007, 16:01:41
2?

John Doe
16-07-2007, 16:03:09
yes but...

Chris
16-07-2007, 16:07:18
Originally posted by Funko
Managers suck. Yes, they do.

Next thread.