PDA

View Full Version : Civ III patch.. I mean expansion announced!

Nav
02-05-2002, 14:39:26
http://www.counterglow.net/index.php#197

:gasmaske:

Resource Consumer
02-05-2002, 14:44:04
But is it an enhancement?

MDA
02-05-2002, 16:37:30
Own Goal

DaShi
02-05-2002, 18:28:39
Perhaps, I should go over to Poly's CivIII forum and post an "I told you so" thread. :D

Venom
02-05-2002, 19:16:56
MarkG would close that on the grounds that it insults his sugar daddy Sid Meier and that Sid would stop buying him server space and start drilling him in the ass again if he didn't close it.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
03-05-2002, 04:15:54
Bah. CivIII when it first came out was the price of a regular title plus an expansion (more if you were foolish enough to buy the "limited edition"), and now it needs an expansion to make it a "real game".

Mp doesn't interest me, neither do scenarios, nor 6 new Civs, so I wouldn't buy it. It certainly doesn't "enchant" me :)

Vincent Fandango
03-05-2002, 07:44:02
Gaaaawd, Civ. It has become so boring. Bought III from a friend and played it about an hour. Where are the innovations? It's the same plot since 1991!!! I read an article about a girl that watche the "ET" movie 772 times. That's or fun than playing Civ. New civs. Bah.
I also read an interview with Sid. he said he's going to work on a reissue of one of his brilliant 80s concepts. I guess that means Pirates! He'll bug it up like Sim Golf (he also said he did not the graphics of SG, but most of the coding. What a jerk!!!).

Funkodrom
03-05-2002, 08:21:44
Pirates! was great, I'd buy that. :D

Vincent Fandango
03-05-2002, 08:44:35
I think he'll do a mainstream Sim Pirates game.

MDA
03-05-2002, 13:10:01
I'll bet you still can't build your own scenarios...

Qweeg
03-05-2002, 14:54:41
SHADDAP! SHADDAP! SHADDAPPP!!!
[sticks fingers in my ears and closes eyes]I'M NOT LISTENING BLAH BLAH BLAH[/sticks fingers in ears and closes eyes[/i]

Civ3 is a good game if your not bored of the format already, if you are- don't play it- don't buy it. I'm looking forward to the expansion pack but I'm much more looking forward to R:TR. I consider SMACX to have been the best of the whole Sid series.

No need to whine like a byatch about it:)

MDA
03-05-2002, 15:49:22
of course there's no need, but its FUN!:p

Civ3 is a good game if your not bored of the format already

I think you hit the nail on the head, at least in my case.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
03-05-2002, 19:43:06
In your case? Was it like this?

:bash:

I'm not tired of the Civ genre yet, but there was so much more that could have been included. I remember from my days back on Usenet (ten years ago?), there were about three different 80+ page documents floating around as a "wish list" of things to put into Civ TWO, and most of the good ideas from that still didn't make it into Civ 3.

As shown by CtP and SMAC, there are new ideas to put into the game. CtP wasn't great, granted, but it was a good try. SMAC was bugged to crap, and still is, but as far as the game went it was fairly good too.

What I don't see is why the interface and some of the functions didn't change as you progressed through the ages. Case in point: Deuteros from Activision. As you progressed through the game and researched different items, the entire SCOPE of the game broadened at certain steps. And as that happened, new levels of micromanagement automation was brought in so you could concentrate on the new scope. Absolutely brilliant game, but way hard.

Civ could have benefitted from that, as well as from an increase in cut-off date. Why NOT incorporate interplanetary colonization, interstellar colonization? Civ2 had an expansion pack that let you do multiple maps, yes? Isn't going back to a single map a huge backwards step?

Maybe I'm letting my imagination get away from me here. Ideally, I'd have liked to see a game in three or so parts, with the scope increasing as time went on - from local scope, to global, interplanetary, galactic. Kind of like SimCity (though not as Sim - with opponents, say), to Civ, to Deuteros/Ascendancy (kind of local cluster) to MoO/Stars! (with huge maps). But, of course, his is unrealistic, since each of these would be a separate game. No publisher would wrap something that huge up and sell it for $50. I guess I'll have to keep waiting for Real AI to come along and do it for me :) :) (Though at one point I had the second and fourth stpes partly coded myself, before I became an apathetic teenager and gave up).

Vincent Fandango
03-05-2002, 20:26:26
Bah, it's grampa's old favourite

DaShi
04-05-2002, 23:02:37
Originally posted by Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
In your case? Was it like this?

:bash:

I'm not tired of the Civ genre yet, but there was so much more that could have been included. I remember from my days back on Usenet (ten years ago?), there were about three different 80+ page documents floating around as a "wish list" of things to put into Civ TWO, and most of the good ideas from that still didn't make it into Civ 3.

As shown by CtP and SMAC, there are new ideas to put into the game. CtP wasn't great, granted, but it was a good try. SMAC was bugged to crap, and still is, but as far as the game went it was fairly good too.

What I don't see is why the interface and some of the functions didn't change as you progressed through the ages. Case in point: Deuteros from Activision. As you progressed through the game and researched different items, the entire SCOPE of the game broadened at certain steps. And as that happened, new levels of micromanagement automation was brought in so you could concentrate on the new scope. Absolutely brilliant game, but way hard.

Civ could have benefitted from that, as well as from an increase in cut-off date. Why NOT incorporate interplanetary colonization, interstellar colonization? Civ2 had an expansion pack that let you do multiple maps, yes? Isn't going back to a single map a huge backwards step?

Maybe I'm letting my imagination get away from me here. Ideally, I'd have liked to see a game in three or so parts, with the scope increasing as time went on - from local scope, to global, interplanetary, galactic. Kind of like SimCity (though not as Sim - with opponents, say), to Civ, to Deuteros/Ascendancy (kind of local cluster) to MoO/Stars! (with huge maps). But, of course, his is unrealistic, since each of these would be a separate game. No publisher would wrap something that huge up and sell it for $50. I guess I'll have to keep waiting for Real AI to come along and do it for me :) :) (Though at one point I had the second and fourth stpes partly coded myself, before I became an apathetic teenager and gave up).

Maybe Koshko or darlin will make one.