PDA

View Full Version : Cool reissues out now

Lazarus and the Gimp
09-07-2007, 20:18:27
Two obscure but great albums re-released-

Young Marble Giants- "Colossal Youth"

White Noise- "An electric storm"

YMG were very sparse proto-Indie kids from Cardiff. WN were groundbreaking electro-boffins from the BBC Radiophonic Workshop. They're both great.

Scabrous Birdseed
09-07-2007, 20:24:12
Yes.

novacane
09-07-2007, 21:06:56
White Noise has been on my wishlist for a big while. This reminder might just do it.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
10-07-2007, 09:22:50
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp

Young Marble Giants- "Colossal Youth"

Coincidentally purchased the original of this on pristine vinyl for 10p a month or so ago.

I liked Weekend too. I have an e.p. of theirs on c.d. somewhere...

Have you just purchased Record Collector, Laz ?

I won something in a competition earlier this year.

Not records/dvds/electrical stuff though.... a signed book.

Resource Consumer
10-07-2007, 09:40:19
YMG were great - "Final Day" is a classic

Lazarus and the Gimp
11-07-2007, 18:34:00
The great Delia Derbyshire.

http://delia-derbyshire.dyndns.org/images/delia_derbyshire.jpg

Delia Derbyshire was born in Coventry, England, in 1937. Educated at Coventry Grammar School and Girton College, Cambridge, where she was awarded a degree in mathematics and music.

In 1959, on approaching Decca records, Delia was told that the company DID NOT employ women in their recording studios, so she went to work for the UN in Geneva before returning to London to work for music publishers Boosey & Hawkes.

In 1960 Delia joined the BBC as a trainee studio manager. She excelled in this field, but when it became apparent that the fledgling Radiophonic Workshop was under the same operational umbrella, she asked for an attachment there - an unheard of request, but one which was, nonetheless,granted. Delia remained 'temporarily attached' for years, regularly deputising for the Head, and influencing many of her trainee colleagues.

To begin with Delia thought she had found her own private paradise where she could combine her interests in the theory and perception of sound; modes and tunings, and the communication of moods using purely electronic sources. Within a matter of months she had created her recording of Ron Grainer's Doctor Who theme, one of the most famous and instantly recognisable TV themes ever. On first hearing it Grainer was tickled pink: "Did I really write this?" he asked. "Most of it," replied Derbyshire.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
11-07-2007, 18:44:04
Educated at Coventry Grammar School

Grrr!!!!

No such place.

There were two grammar schools in Coventry- King Henry VIII (the johnny come lately) and the one I attended, Bablake, set up by Queen Isabella as part of her effort to redeem herself after being implicated in the spitting of her husband Eddie II, on a king size (fnarr!!!) rotisserie.

They combined in the 80s to form Coventry School, on two sites.

Delia Derbyshire is of course a Latter Day Saint of the Holy Church of Electronica and British Boffinry.

A certain poster at Poly who opined that electronic music began in the 80s in the States needs to be forced to listen to 1960s and 1970s BBC Radiophonic output for several months, nonstop.

I have such fond memories of the original Dr. Who theme tune. And William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton.

Daleks, Martian Warriors and Yetis. Every child should have Saturday bedtime ruined for them, for at least a year or so.

novacane
11-07-2007, 20:20:33
amen

Lazarus and the Gimp
11-07-2007, 21:28:36
They really should grace the new Dr Who episodes with the Delia Derbyshire version of the theme. None of the later re-workings ever came near it.

Funko
12-07-2007, 07:56:42
Very true.

Resource Consumer
12-07-2007, 14:43:16
I liked the Time Lords version "Doctor in the Tardis" :o

Eklektikos
17-07-2007, 16:17:31
I liked the Orbital version. :nervous:

Lazarus and the Gimp
17-07-2007, 16:24:44
So did I. It's my second-favourite version, behind the 1963 Derbyshire recording.

Vincent
17-07-2007, 18:50:42
The "1963 Derbyshire recording" sounds like an X-File