PDA

View Full Version : My Fiancée probably has MS

Scabrous Birdseed
05-07-2007, 19:06:04
One of the statements in the I'm back thread needs a little bit more explanation.

My dearly beloved fiancée, Sabina, became inexplicably sick in the spring. She had several discrete symptoms, including visual problems, an epilepsy-like fit, headaches and, in March, a spell of extreme Vertigo (with vomiting) that had her hospitalised for a week. During this hospital stay she had an MRI scan and a lumbar puncture and in May she was diagnosed as almost certainly having Multiple Schlerosis.

Multiple Schlerosis is an autoimmune disease of the nervous system in which the fatty tissue surrounding the neurons in the brain, myelin, is attacked by the body's own immune system, causing inflammation and eventually scars (Schleroses). This also leads to localised nerve damage in the brain, disrupting various nervous activities ranging from cognition to movement depending on where in the brain the inflammation occurs.

The inflammations generally occur in attacks, or relapses, between which the patient (at least initially) is almost completely healed. The attack in march was the first of these. Eventually, after a number of years, the functions may start to deteriorate on a more permanent basis.

There's no known cause or cure for MS although it is a very rapidly progressing area of reasearch. There are drugs that are known to slow down the progress of the disease, though it is not known how these drugs specifically function. Sabina has been started on a regime of these drugs.

The disease is not obviously genetic and the chances of passing it on are slim, nor is it infectuous. It may have both environmental and genetic causes.

Wikipedia has an unusually well-written article on MS if you want to learn more. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_schlerosis

I'm hoping some of our resident biochemists might be able to give a little bit more insight on the actual mechanism of the disease.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
05-07-2007, 19:30:36
That's bad news, I hope she reacts well to the medication. A cousin of mine has been diagnosed with it several years ago, she is doing quite well. The meds make the deterioration very slow.

Lazarus and the Gimp
05-07-2007, 19:44:11
I have friends with the condition, and there are far worse things to be diagnosed with.

Scabrous Birdseed
05-07-2007, 19:50:02
I know. In fact, one of the experts we talked to claimed that if she had to choose one genetic condition to get right now, MS would be it. It's very likely to be cureable before she reaches the secondary-progressive stage, which could be 20 years from now with the drugs.

Scabrous Birdseed
05-07-2007, 19:51:14
Still, I had to post about it. It was a bit shocking when she recieved the diagnosis a month ago.

Beta1
05-07-2007, 20:23:15
'fraid theres not much I can add, other than that the drugs seem to be pretty effective at halting the progression an I seem to remember reading that they are more effective in women than men.

Women are also more likley to have the relapse/remission version - men tend to get the progressive version.

A friend of mine from uni was diagnosed with MS about 5 years ago, she is doing pretty well and hasnt got many obvious symptoms. Well not many that can be distinguished from the ones aquired by 3 years of insane drinking at uni...

Hope Sabina is coping well, My friend always thought the hardest part was coping with the diagnosis...

Lazarus and the Gimp
06-07-2007, 04:53:50
I can understand the shock you felt- it was probably similar to how I felt when my mother was diagnosed with Parkinsons.

The fact is that you could get squashed flat by a bus tomorrow. Take it as a very clear instruction from any deity you care to acknowledge to seize the moment and savour it.

Koyaanisqatsi
06-07-2007, 05:52:30
I can't say much other than to echo the idea that treatment is definitely improving quickly right now. A friend who was diagnosed about 2 years ago, and who was expected to have it progress fairly quickly, is doing quite well due to meds. Good luck to you both.

Oerdin
06-07-2007, 06:22:22
My cousin has MS. It isn't curable but with medication it is almost the same as not having it.

King_Ghidra
06-07-2007, 08:27:03
well, all the best to you both, anyway

Tizzy
06-07-2007, 08:30:43
Good luck to you both

Funko
06-07-2007, 08:55:49
Yeah, I echo what everyone said above. Good luck to you both, and good news about the treatments I think.

maroule
06-07-2007, 09:05:57
good luck to her, and you in supporting her

there is an upside for her, you can't cheat on her anymore without risking incurring general moral opprobium from the rest of humanity (and not just her)

Funko
06-07-2007, 09:09:20
Er... you think there wouldn't be general moral opprobium anyway? I don't see that it matters if she has MS or not.

Drekkus
06-07-2007, 09:12:18
Pfew, for a second I thought she had Microsoft!
;)

Like other people said here, sad to here it Scabby, but from what I've seen and heard, it hopefully will be ok.

maroule
06-07-2007, 09:55:41
Originally posted by Funko
Er... you think there wouldn't be general moral opprobium anyway? I don't see that it matters if she has MS or not.

I'm not too much in the moral judgement business myself... I just had the image of SC in a bed with another girl... saying "but you are married!" and SC responding "yeah, but she has MS"... it was just so wonderfully callous it amused me

But that's interesting Funko... you think spouses (whatever their sex) cheating on their other half should get general moral opprobium? Considering probably more than half of the married people "cheat" at least once in their life... that's a lot of people to condemn... I find people condemning it the loudest are the one wanting to do it but afraid of the consequences... people not cheating and being happy about it don't care wether other people have or don't have sex with whoever.

King_Ghidra
06-07-2007, 10:20:18
that's probably more of a gallic/latin attitude

and your 'probably more than half' is a hell of a speculative statistic

though for myself, i don't give a fuck, people should follow thier heart, i'm not one to criticise people's relationship decisions

Funko
06-07-2007, 10:30:11
I think it's really up to the couple and what people outside the relationships think isn't really what's important, but for those who do have an opinion on these things it's likely to be an absolute right or wrong, so the existence of a medical condition or not is unlikely to be important in their eyes.

Greg W
06-07-2007, 10:37:06
Sorry to hear that SB. hope that the treatments/meds goes well, and that it's not a big imposition on either of you.

mr_B
06-07-2007, 11:49:15
Good luck to you both

zmama
06-07-2007, 12:34:37
Yes good luck and many million happy days :)

Colon
06-07-2007, 12:43:35
I remember we'd always do tombolas at elementary school to fund research for a cure against MS. Never considered if there actually was a point in it, but it seems science indeed is making rapid progress.

Anyhow, best of luck to you two.

MOBIUS
06-07-2007, 12:50:15
Good luck to you both, at least there seems to be real hope for now and the future...

maroule
06-07-2007, 13:20:39
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
that's probably more of a gallic/latin attitude

and your 'probably more than half' is a hell of a speculative statistic

it is indeed
but in the US, where "90% of people say it is wrong to cheat", 22% of men and 14% of women admit they have done it at least once...

MOBIUS
06-07-2007, 13:24:57
Which means only 12% of men and 4% of women are hypocrites...

Fistandantilus
06-07-2007, 13:26:52
Flawless logic.

Funko
06-07-2007, 13:28:23
Has anyone here never done something they think is wrong?

Fistandantilus
06-07-2007, 13:28:51
nevah evah

Venom
06-07-2007, 13:47:15

I pretty much do everything wrong.

C.G.B. Spender
06-07-2007, 13:49:01
I'll do a Jon Miller to descibe it:
I did it all wrong but my intentions seemed to be good at the time (I was drunk)

Fistandantilus
06-07-2007, 13:59:29

No, I didn't "frenchkiss" Nills if that's what you're asking.