PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 most popular MMOs / Subscriptions etc


Funko
18-06-2007, 10:43:07
Posted mainly for this quote:

Subscriptions work well for MMORPG games like WoW that are more akin to crack cocaine than mere entertainment.

http://gigaom.com/2007/06/13/top-ten-most-popular-mmos/

Bob
18-06-2007, 10:45:49
Bah, it's just a game!

Greg W
19-06-2007, 10:09:13
Hmm. I had heard that Lineage had about 18 million subscribers. And considering it's only publically available data, I'd discount that list almost entirely.

King_Ghidra
19-06-2007, 10:17:42
according to mmogchart.com, which looks at subscriber numbers and sources from both industry and elsewhere, those stats are pretty realistic.

of course, a lot of the games on the list funko posted are non-subscriber, and are actually a lot more popular than other more famous subscriber type mmo games

Shining1
19-06-2007, 21:32:53
It would be.... interesting... if you could get crack cocaine for $15 per month unlimited.

You work with what you've got. My last hit of guildwars was a lot more like icing sugar than cocaine, however - the 'crack' comment is probably worthy of further exploration. =D

Lineage does not have 18 million subscribers. That would require a sign up from virtually every single person in Korea to make up the numbers.

The *good* thing about MMO's, really? A lot of that money is going directly to the developer, rather than the publisher or the bricks and mortar money trap game stores.

10. Second Life, released 2003 - 500,000 active users. No introduction needed here. Created by Linden Lab, this virtual world features a rabid fan base, inflated numbers, a high influx of corporate doppelgangers, and lots of digital genitals. First life optional.

:lol:

Kitsuki
20-06-2007, 08:32:47
WoW costs about 100 quid a year on the 26 three monthly charge... Wouldnt go far on crack!

MMOs are fine as long as you are capable of dipping in and out.

Funko
20-06-2007, 09:14:02
Crack is also ok as long as you take it in moderation.

maroule
20-06-2007, 09:54:03
and crack kills much less than cars, cigarettes, and US marines.

Greg W
20-06-2007, 10:17:45
Originally posted by Shining1
Lineage does not have 18 million subscribers. That would require a sign up from virtually every single person in Korea to make up the numbers.I didn't say it was just Korean subscribers. ;)

Still, I take all those numbers with a grain of salt.

Oh, and crack was talked about years and years ago as a pseudonym for EQ.

Funko
20-06-2007, 10:23:26
EQ would come under the "MMORPG games like WoW that are more akin to crack cocaine" banner.

I don't see any reason to doubt those numbers, they are broadly what I've seen reported anywhere for those games. 3m peak for Lineage sounds right. Certainly wikipedia agrees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lineage_%28computer_game%29

Willi
20-06-2007, 10:28:58
I always trust those numbers!

Counterglow - Members: 1,213

Shining1
22-06-2007, 00:50:14
I didn't say it was just Korean subscribers.

Non-Korean subscribers, as has been said, never passed more than the 3 million mark (if that).

And Warcrack > Evercrack. =P

HelloKitty
22-06-2007, 16:40:33
Originally posted by Shining1
It would be.... interesting... if you could get crack cocaine for $15 per month unlimited.

You work with what you've got. My last hit of guildwars was a lot more like icing sugar than cocaine, however - the 'crack' comment is probably worthy of further exploration. =D

Lineage does not have 18 million subscribers. That would require a sign up from virtually every single person in Korea to make up the numbers.

The *good* thing about MMO's, really? A lot of that money is going directly to the developer, rather than the publisher or the bricks and mortar money trap game stores.



:lol:

S Korea has somewhere around 50 million people, and lineage has far far more people than that acticle states. That number may be right for the servers hosted by the company themselves but relativly few people play the official servers.

The numbers all look pretty much pulled out of a hat. Did they just take the number of boxes sold worldwide in GW, cut it in half and assume that was close? GW has a lot of players but I don't think between expansions there are 2 million activly playing.

Shining1
23-06-2007, 00:28:20
:o

I thought Korea was still around 20 million people.

GW feels almost dead during Aussie night times. You end up random arenaing against the same broken ass 40+ win team too much.

(What's a good build for an arena healing monk?)

Greg W
23-06-2007, 02:54:28
Originally posted by Shining1
And Warcrack > Evercrack. =P Sorry to disagree, but nothing wil ever beat the original EQ. :p

Back pre-Kunark. Back when camping Lord in Guk took multiple groups. Back before they revamped Temple of Cazic Thule. Back when the Planes became active, and breaking in was a nightmare. Back when running from Freeport to Qeynos was an accomplishment. Back when CRs were more than just paying to have your corpse summoned to you.

Back when MMORPGs were truly challenging. Soloing to 50 (or is it 60 now? I haven't followed it) in Warcraft <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< getting to 50 in EQ.

Shining1
23-06-2007, 06:35:31
It's a whole different game. Comparing leveling in WoW, which is almost irrelevant, to leveling in EQ, which was an insane achievement, isn't really that useful. WoW is designed to be a more 'accessible' game, with it's harder aspects confined to PvP and level 60-70 raid instances.

Just getting to level 70 is no achievement at all. That's where the game starts.

Greg W
23-06-2007, 08:58:29
And where's the fun in that? May as well start people at lvl 70 if that's the case.

And that's ignoring the fact that Warcraft is filled with 1337 12 year olds. ;)

C.G.B. Spender
23-06-2007, 10:32:34
Hey, Finn Willi is 11, not 12

zmama
23-06-2007, 11:17:53
Ya and I'm 13!

Vincent
23-06-2007, 20:17:55
I bet you are level 70

Shining1
24-06-2007, 01:46:05
An everquest player asking where the fun in a game is? >.>

These games are serious! They are not fun!

Greg W
24-06-2007, 07:09:30
Hell levels. Now that was fun.

HelloKitty
24-06-2007, 18:00:04
Originally posted by Shining1
:o

I thought Korea was still around 20 million people.

GW feels almost dead during Aussie night times. You end up random arenaing against the same broken ass 40+ win team too much.

(What's a good build for an arena healing monk?)

Yeah there are definitly dead times on GW for english speakers.

When expansions come out yeah, probably 2 million players for a couple months, but a few months before the next expansion, probably 5 or 600k.


As for monk builds, ask Dashi. I have never played a monk primary but he has. He also still plays all the damn time.

DaShi
24-06-2007, 21:21:03
Yes, I play it way too much. However, I need to take a break as my summer class starts this week and my projects are piling up. Also, I haven't monked in long time. But Zealous Benediction monks seem to do well in the arenas.

The problem with the random arenas outside of Europe and the US is that guild teams try to sync enter. Thus, allowing them to have a perfect group to wipe out all the random groups normally formed.

Shining1
25-06-2007, 02:27:19
Actually I'm not sure which is worse - the guild groups in random arena, or the top flight players. I had some new expasion type character with a polearm (dervish?) hit me for 169 on top of a ton of extra damage - at which point I pretty much emo-logged for the night. No sense sticking around when people can out-dps your self heals. =/

Certainly random arena as a pure healing monk can be an exercise in frustration, when your own team breaks off into three little 1vs1 matches against self-sufficient opponents who can't be taken out one on one, and leaves you to fend off the A/W by yourself. But it's quite nice when you get 3 damage classes who know to spike their vulnerable targets first.

The game certainly has potential and its interface is quite a ways ahead of warcraft in some ways - what I would give for my warlock to not be subjected to the endless 'That ability isn't ready yet' spam.

And it's cool, Dashi, I'm only playing against U.S guys it seems.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
25-06-2007, 18:32:56
Originally posted by Shining1
The game certainly has potential and its interface is quite a ways ahead of warcraft in some ways - what I would give for my warlock to not be subjected to the endless 'That ability isn't ready yet' spam.

There's a mod somewhere that supresses those messages (buggered if I can remember what it's called though).

DaShi
25-06-2007, 22:49:03
Originally posted by Shining1
Actually I'm not sure which is worse - the guild groups in random arena, or the top flight players. I had some new expasion type character with a polearm (dervish?) hit me for 169 on top of a ton of extra damage - at which point I pretty much emo-logged for the night. No sense sticking around when people can out-dps your self heals. =/

Certainly random arena as a pure healing monk can be an exercise in frustration, when your own team breaks off into three little 1vs1 matches against self-sufficient opponents who can't be taken out one on one, and leaves you to fend off the A/W by yourself. But it's quite nice when you get 3 damage classes who know to spike their vulnerable targets first.

The game certainly has potential and its interface is quite a ways ahead of warcraft in some ways - what I would give for my warlock to not be subjected to the endless 'That ability isn't ready yet' spam.

And it's cool, Dashi, I'm only playing against U.S guys it seems.

RA is usually very frustrating, which is why I never play a monk in it. Most play protect monks. But I take it that you don't have the NF expansion, so no zealous benediction. There's shield of regen in protection too that I've seen a lot. I usually play a curse necro or a spiking ritualist/ranger (yes, hitting for over 150 life-stealing, armor ignoring dmg plus burning and interruption in one attack. The Nightfall skills have really changed PvP). However, it's RA so I pretty much don't expect a lot from my teammates. When I do get a good team it's great. Otherwise, I just hope we win a few and I can get some more faction.

If you want soft PvP and are in an alliance guild, try alliance battles. Far less frustrating, but I grow bored with them rather quickly. Also, there's Fort Aspenwood in Factions, which is rather fun on either side if there aren't any leechers.

Shining1
26-06-2007, 03:06:17
Originally posted by Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
There's a mod somewhere that supresses those messages (buggered if I can remember what it's called though).

Yeah, but guildwars lets you hit one ability, then queue up the next while casting. When you have Oceania sized lag, that feature alone is a godsend, compared to losing 15% of your casting dps in WoW through not abusing a stop-casting macro/mod.

(yes, hitting for over 150 life-stealing, armor ignoring dmg plus burning and interruption in one attack. The Nightfall skills have really changed PvP).

Top reason I DON'T like Guildwars is because it's got an M:tG style skills setup. That basically means the only way you can get people to buy the next expasion is through power-creep, which means you very quickly start to lose any semblence of balance in the game. I.e if the new skills aren't overpowered, people won't be motivated to get them - so they are, and the game descends into insta-gib/turn 3 win hell.

That and the animation is crap, it's hard to see opponents, let alone discern any useful information about what they might be doing. Amazing looking static scenery doesn't count for much if the actual character rendering fails.


ON-TOPIC

Clearly these games suck and you should never play one unless you are either a colossal fucking nerd, or wish to become a colossal fucking nerd. =)

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/06/18