PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Music

Scabrous Birdseed
10-06-2007, 08:17:15
Oh bollocks. We've been charged with providing three or so mix CDs to a wedding held by one of our friends. They've decided not to invest in renting a mixer board and a set of DJ CD players despite having a proper PA, so it's just going to be a stereo playing...

The explicit instructions from the bride were "I want kinda hit stuff, you know? The kind of things everyone can listen to even if they're 50 or if they're young. Kinda Tomas Ledin." Tomas Ledin is a totally awful Lowest Common Denominator-type singer whose bland pop-rock produced a series of hits in the eighties and nineties and who is generally the most hated person in swedish music history by anyone vaguely serious about music.

Unfortunately I suspect she's right - based on my experience of such occasions it's all "we wanna hear stuff we know", drunken, self-important, ill-educated middle-class sheep. So I'm trying to keep that in mind while making the CDs. I'm currently putting on a bunch of 80s and 90s hit tracks, minussing the most atrocious ones. (No Wham.) Then we'll add in some higher-quality hit material from the fifties and sixties, and possibly some disco.

Any suggestions about what else to add in? Bear in mind that the couple are muslims and newlyweds and probably want to avoid anything too overtly sexual, alcohol-oriented or obviously songs about breaking up and such.

Oh, and would "Walk Like and Egyptian", "Egyptian Reggae" and/or "Egypt, Egypt" by Egyptian Lover be considered offensive to actual Egyptians? :nervous:

Greg W
10-06-2007, 12:54:02
Normally lovey type songs work well. Elton John's "Can you feel the love tonight" is a good one, as is "Unchained Melody" by the Righteous Brothers.

I'd probably stick away from AC/DC's Highway to Hell though, no matter how appropriate. ;)

Scabrous Birdseed
10-06-2007, 13:41:05
I see what you're thinking, but Islam is not really the #1 slow-dancing religion, in fact she specifically asked me not to put any slow songs on.

Lazarus and the Gimp
10-06-2007, 13:46:29
The big dance number at my wedding saw bride and groom strut their stuff to "Sexual healing".

Lazarus and the Gimp
10-06-2007, 13:55:27
OK, here we go.

"Sheena is a punk rocker"- The Ramones
"Rock the Casbah"- The Clash
"Don't feel like dancing"- Scissor Sisters
"Hey Mickey"- Toni Basil
"WFL"- Happy Mondays
"Heart of glass"- Blondie
"Heroes"- David Bowie
"Sugar sugar"- The Archies

Scabrous Birdseed
10-06-2007, 14:05:02
Rock The Casbah will go down a treat with all the arabs in the room. :cool:

Good suggestions, got some already but not all, keep em coming!

*End Is Forever*
10-06-2007, 15:34:44
You'll probably hate some of these, but nevermind...

Lightning Seeds - Life of Riley (much prefer "Pure", but probably comes under "too slow")
Supernaturals - Smile
James - Sit Down
Katrina and the Waves - Walking On Sunshine
Dodgy - Good Enough
Wannadies - You And Me Song
The La's - There She Goes
The Wonderstuff with Vic Reeves - Dizzy
The Smiths - Panic
The Killers - Somebody Told Me
The Strokes - Last Nite
The Coral - Dreaming of You
Hellogoodbye - Here In Your Arms
Arctic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor
Weezer - Buddy Holly

Lazarus and the Gimp
10-06-2007, 16:01:40
"Super stupid"- Funkadelic
"Word up"- Cameo
"Give it up"- KC and the Sunshine Band
"Ballroom Blitz"- The Sweet
"New way, new life"- Asian Dub Foundation.
"Arranged marriage"- Apache Indian
"You just might be the one"- The Monkees
"Crash"- The Primitives

*End Is Forever*
10-06-2007, 17:22:43
All of those are well known?

Provost Harrison
10-06-2007, 17:23:29
Originally posted by *End Is Forever*
The Smiths - Panic

A request I always give when I disapprove of the DJ :D

Lazarus and the Gimp
10-06-2007, 18:21:03
Originally posted by *End Is Forever*
All of those are well known?

Of that second batch I posted, only the Funkadelic and Monkees tracks weren't hit singles.

*End Is Forever*
10-06-2007, 21:51:00
Have just listened to some clips, and I only recognise the KC track. I couldn't find a clip of the Primitives song.

Debaser
11-06-2007, 08:49:29
Get your best Phil Spector box set and just play that all night. Everyone loves all those bands. You could pretty much just play Spector, Motown, and Beatles all night.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
11-06-2007, 09:51:42
Ofra Haza: A'Salk

Went down very well with some Iraqis resident in London since the 1960s-70s, despite being sung by an Israeli.

I think we can eschew 'The Bottle', 'Days Of Wine And Roses' and 'Tequila!'

How about 'Love Is In The Air' by John Paul Young from the 'Strictly Ballroom' soundtrack ?

Roxy Music's 'Angel Eyes' 12" remix

David Bowie's 'Absolute Beginners'

Cyndi Lauper: 'Time After Time'

Grace Jones: 'La Vie En Rose' or 'Feel Up'

Mory Kante: 'Yeke Yeke'

David Bowie: 'Yassassin'

David Byrne & Brian Eno: 'Regiment' (I think 'Qu'ran' might be wiser left out...)

Michael Jackson seems to be madly popular amongst the Egyptians I know (why, I have no idea...) how about the dance stuff from 'Off The Wall' ?

The Associates: '18 Carat Love Affair'

The Toccata from Monteverdi's 'L'Orfeo' makes a good introduction to any festive occasion...

Oldies but goldies:

Alvin 'Snake Eyes' Tyler: 'The Peanut Vendor'

Mary Love: 'You Turned My Bitter Into Sweet'

The Chanters: 'She Wants To Mambo'

Nina Simone: 'Brown Eyed Handsome Man'

Gene Chandler: 'Duke Of Earl'

Betty Everett: 'Getting Mighty Crowded'

Billy Stewart: 'Summertime' (single mix)

and late entries:

B 52S: 'Dance This Mess Around' from 'Partymix'

Heaven 17: 'I'm Your Money' 12"

Yello: 'Lost Again'

Colourbox: 'Official Colourbox World Cup Theme'

novacane
11-06-2007, 10:00:13
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
The explicit instructions from the bride were "I want kinda hit stuff, you know? The kind of things everyone can listen to even if they're 50 or if they're young.

I'm only familiar with five or six of those Fergus. You really have to dumb it down for a wedding.

Bob
11-06-2007, 10:07:11
All I can think of is that song by Tammy Wynette

Fergus & The Brazen Car
11-06-2007, 10:56:05
Originally posted by novacane
I'm only familiar with five or six of those Fergus. You really have to dumb it down for a wedding.

? They're danceable.

It's my version of 'Fuck art, let's dance'.

You don't have to know the chord changes in 'Regiment' to strut yo' funky stuff, sho' nuff.

Which reminds me:

Chic: 'Good Times', 'My Feet Keep Dancing', 'I Want Your Love' (12" mixes)

Kool And The Gang: 'Celebration'

K.C. And The Sunshine Band: 'Get Down Tonight'

Colonel Abrams: 'Trapped' ;)

S Express: Theme From S Express

The Balanescu Quartet : 'The Model'

Jevetta Steele's 'Calling You' (from the 'Baghdad Cafe' soundtrack)is always a good one to close the evening...

Pigbag: Papa's Got A...

Fontella Bass: 'Rescue Me'

Candi Staton: 'Young Hearts'

Freda Payne: 'Band Of Gold' (just don't listen to the lyrics too closely...)

Simple Minds: 'I Travel', 'Promised You A Miracle'

Bonnie Tyler: 'Lost In France'

Kim Carnes: 'Bette Davis Eyes'

Anita Ward: 'Ring My Bell'

Desmond Dekker: 'The Israelites'... or perhaps better off with 'It Mek' and 'You Can Get It If You Really Want'...

Dave & Ansil Collins: 'Double Barrel'

Booker T. And The M.G.S.: 'Green Onions' & 'Soul Limbo'

novacane
11-06-2007, 11:24:28
Yeah, I recognise more of those. Good stuff. I was singing the Anita Ward song to myself yesterday. One of those things I guess. :cute:

Take your point about danceable songs and if circumstances are right (atmosphere, drunkeness, 'beat....), people will dance to songs they do not know. Important to have some sing-a-longs though too.

Fistandantilus
11-06-2007, 13:18:57
May I suggest "Zombie wedding" by the Unholy? Great song that one.

fp
13-06-2007, 13:36:11
I've found that Sweet Home Alabama, Summer of 69 and Livin' on a Prayer are usually crowd pleasers. Although they're mostly good for drunken shouty singalongs rather than dancing so if it's a tee-total wedding maybe they won't fly.

Bob
13-06-2007, 13:38:53
Trio - "Da da da ich lieb dich nicht du liebst mich nicht aha aha aha"

Foetus
14-06-2007, 19:48:19
My wedding disco kicked off to "We're in this together now" by Nine Inch Nails.

Hard to think of anything better than that.

Drekkus
20-06-2007, 14:00:39
http://www.nl.bol.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/nl/-/EUR/BOL_DisplayProductInformation-Start?BOL_OWNER_ID=1000004003202841&Section=MUSIC