PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars - Galactic Battlegrounds

Aredhran
26-11-2001, 15:22:58
Has anybody tried this game ?

Epic real-time strategy set against a backdrop of the entire Star Wars saga
Conflicts involve six key civilizations: Galactic Empire, Rebel Alliance, Wookiees, Gungans, Royal Naboo and Trade Federation
Execute your campaign over land, sea and air with over 300 different units and structures in single-player campaigns, skirmishes and multiplayer battles
Combat arenas extend from interstellar asteroids and aerial encounters to submerged cities and ground battles
Deploy vast legions of units into battle-up to 200 per side- with units that can include bounty hunters, Jedi Knights, stormtroopers, X-wings, AT-ATs, snowspeeders, AT-STs, Wookiee Kas tanks and droids
Manage your resources and integrate the power of upgradable technology into your strategy, such as Wookiee ingenuity, advanced Gungan biotechnology and Jedi stamina. Each technology level brings new wonders and new forces.
Accessible gameplay built upon the familiar RTS engine adapted from Ensemble's popular Age of Empires™ series
Use the scenario editor to create custom single- or multiplayer battlegrounds with virtually any Star Wars units and settings

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/battlegrounds

It looks pretty cool, but I'd like to get some opinions. One positive thing already : I could have a Chewbacca - Jar Jar faceoff :D

Venom
26-11-2001, 15:29:16
I haven't played the game itself, but I was underwhelmed by the demo.

Funkodrom
26-11-2001, 15:40:12
I haven't played the game or the demo, I'm waiting for some reviews.

FunkyFingers
26-11-2001, 16:29:02
I've neither read the reviews, played the demo or bought the game. I'm waiting for my computer to evolve some more power.

Funkodrom
26-11-2001, 16:31:26
You should be ok with it. AoK engine isn't that demanding.

Aredhran
26-11-2001, 16:32:43
Yep. I've had AoK run on a P100 with 32 megs of RAM and it worked fine (at least if you stick to a reasonable number of units)

Funkodrom
26-11-2001, 16:36:41
It was perfectly happy on my PII 233 with 64Mb RAM.

The Shaker
26-11-2001, 17:44:31
Looks like everyone's wary of star wars games.

Always be wary of a game that release itself before the gaming mags are released with it's review.

Resource Consumer
26-11-2001, 18:45:10
I think you should buy it and do a review for us.

Venom
26-11-2001, 19:13:41
Yeah. Take one for the team. Spend some money, throw together a review, and get published on a web site.

Venom
26-11-2001, 19:36:34
As I expected.

http://www.corona.bc.ca/films/losthours/homepage.html

Shining1
27-11-2001, 04:56:40
"Much like Starcraft, many of the different civs units are literal translations of each other, but still have a distinct look and feel to them."

Where the hell did this bollocks come from? Has this guy ever played Starcraft?!?:mad:

That aside, it seems a far review. The comments about the graphics (there was possibly too much comment about the graphics, and little about how the game actually played) seem a bit concerning since the whole point of the game is immersing you in the SW universe.

Aredhran
27-11-2001, 09:00:58
Maybe I'll check the demo (when I'm done gunning down nazis :D)

Funkodrom
27-11-2001, 09:41:17
Although he slates the graphics and sound he does say:

"Despite it all, however, the game is fun and just as addictive as Age of Empires. Sure, better graphics and sounds would have been nice, but in the end all that matters is how the game plays. And SW:GB plays well, despite its flaws. Multiplayer is flawless and, like AOE, supports up to 8 players on Internet, IP, or LAN.