PDA

View Full Version : The Electric guitar vs. the Electric bass - which is the greater instrument?

Scabrous Birdseed
25-04-2007, 13:50:52
Okay, the electric guitar, significant in the development of electrified blues and all electrified blues derivates, lead instrument in virtually all rock music, versatile melodic and rhythmic instrument with hundreds of uses, ultimate rock'n'roll instrumental dream.

vs

The electric bass, key rhythmic instrument without which most non-electronic music sounds thin and bland, lead melodic instrument of funk and reggae, significant in the development of virutally every type of music from the late fifities to the late seventies. There's plenty more guitarless music than there is bassless music.

Scabrous Birdseed
25-04-2007, 13:52:10
Dammit forgot the poll. Anyway, I say the Bass because I love a good bassline more than a good riff, and some of my favourite tracks are mostly just drums and bass.

Guitar 0
Bass 1

Funko
25-04-2007, 14:50:09
Electric guitar. Although bass is absolutely fundamental to most modern music, as Scabby mentions, it's very easy and to synthesize a bass sound, and actually a lot of the time when recording a bass you are trying but very hard to smooth off the rough edges and to make it sound less 'guitar' like whereas with a guitar you spend all your time trying to enhance the guitarness of it whether it be by overdriving or whatever.

Funko
25-04-2007, 14:50:45
ie. Guitar because the keyboard player can just play the bass with his left hand.

MattHiggs
25-04-2007, 16:11:35
Guitar! :rock:

Scabrous Birdseed
25-04-2007, 16:59:47
I would say, though, that the bass has probably helped launch more genres than the guitar (although that, too, is debatable). Rock'n'roll certainly would have been shorter lived if it had retained the simple, double-bassed groove that was prevalent before '58. Funk would never have been born, nor would reggae and that subsection. Modern dance music I think would have been substantially different, as would hip-hop.

C.G.B. Spender
25-04-2007, 18:43:50
The bass, of course. The same way Bill Wyman is cooler than Keith Richards or Entwistle is coole than Townshend and so on, and so on.

A Bassplayer is always a nerdy type. Good at school with rich parents. So is the bass. An instrument you need but hate aka. the can-you-turn-it-down-a-little

protein
26-04-2007, 00:47:01
just lurking and had to chime in. it's obviously the bass guitar. all good music has bass and drums.

although the question is a bit like askint whether the thumbs or fingers are more important.

Eklektikos
26-04-2007, 12:28:05
Originally posted by protein
all good music has bass and drums.
Aside from the good music which doesn't, you mean?

Lazarus and the Gimp
26-04-2007, 16:57:18
Absence of a bass didn't hurt the Cramps, and they were cool as hell.

I can only think of one good band that had bass but no guitar- Morphine. Even they needed a baritone sax to support the melodies. Guitar wins.

C.G.B. Spender
26-04-2007, 17:16:06
Bass is NOT sexy. Face it.

Scabrous Birdseed
26-04-2007, 19:14:01
Bootsy Collins!!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ef/Space_Bass.jpg

Lazarus and the Gimp
26-04-2007, 20:42:28
See? Not sexy at all.

Bob
27-04-2007, 06:59:50
This example tells nothing about bass guitars. It tells a lot about Birdseed though.