PDA

View Full Version : Sadtris

Koyaanisqatsi
16-04-2007, 16:33:06
I wrote Sadtris ('http://www.umit.maine.edu/~greatoz/sadtris/') this weekend because I need to learn how to use Prototype, but it seems like the kind of annoying time-waster you guys like. It's a Tetris variant that looks at the board to figure out what pieces you're most likely to need, then refuses to give them to you. It's not intended to make the game impossible, but it's a lot harder than normal Tetris.

Haven't tried it in Opera, but IE, FF, and (I'm told) Safari work fine. You don't need to wait for the music to download to start the game, it'll do it in the background and begin playing once it's done (unless you shut it off.)

If anybody manages a tetris, let me know. I don't think it's theoretically possible, but somebody claimed to have done it...

Scabrous Birdseed
17-04-2007, 09:05:15
Sorry for my glaring ignorance, but what's a "tetris" in tetris?

Funko
17-04-2007, 09:06:01
I think it's when you clear 4 rows in one drop.

Fistandantilus
17-04-2007, 09:25:43
^ nerd.

Scabrous Birdseed
17-04-2007, 09:52:14
Oh. Well, I would try but all I get is a loading screen.

Funko
17-04-2007, 10:01:31
I got it stuck in a loop where all it would drop were squares, the shape queue indicated loads of different shapes coming up, but only squares dropped

Funko
17-04-2007, 10:04:29
ok, that's how it's supposed to work, I think it's far too easy to get so that only squares will drop.

It's not much fun the way it is, it's just too hard, and you get to a situation where it'll only give you one or two types of shape too quickly.

Fistandantilus
17-04-2007, 10:30:24
Well all those squares are heplful :D

The challenge is to set up the board in a way there isn't a really a 'bad' shape it could give you but it's hard yes.

Btw, is it just me or speed is constant no matter how far you progress?

Koyaanisqatsi
17-04-2007, 14:29:57
The speed goes from 800ms at start to 100ms at 90 lines, which is hard to see at first but not later.

The square loop means it's time to patch over some of your errors. The game rewards thinking about clearing one or two lines at a time rather than three or four. The shape queue you mentioned isn't really a queue, it's the game telling you how it's restricting you. If a shape is grayed out, that means the game didn't consider giving you that piece this turn. If everything but the square is grayed out and stays that way a couple turns in a row then you know you need to change what you're doing. There is no preview of what piece is coming next.

Don't know about a load screen because there isn't one...the spinner in the corner just indicates the music is loading, not the whole game. You can play pretty much as soon as the graphics are loaded.

Fist has it right, it's pretty much a second-level puzzle where you have to figure out not just the tetris board but how the game decides what pieces you can and can't have and how to get it to give you what you want. It's hard...I'm pretty good at normal tetris, but the highest I've gotten to in this is about 50 lines.

Funko
17-04-2007, 14:31:13
Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi
The square loop means it's time to patch over some of your errors. The game rewards thinking about clearing one or two lines at a time rather than three or four. The shape queue you mentioned isn't really a queue, it's the game telling you how it's restricting you. If a shape is grayed out, that means the game didn't consider giving you that piece this turn.

Yeah, I realised that later. I'll give it another go.

Koyaanisqatsi
17-04-2007, 16:49:24
I added some difficultly levels. What you were playing before is now 'Sadistic'.

MoRe
10-05-2007, 23:52:41
I got 2 tetrises within the first minute of play. It seemed intent on giving me one 4-bar after another.

Koyaanisqatsi
11-05-2007, 03:17:45
On what difficulty? After I added difficulties, it should be possible on the first level. Above that, no.