PDA

View Full Version : Help me find the great female producers!

Scabrous Birdseed
10-03-2007, 21:59:56
Probably the most difficult theme I've ever had for my radio show (which, as you may know, deals with pre-house electronic music with a distincly "synthetic" sound). I mean, compared to this Indian synth sounds was really easy.

Im trying to find electronic musicians that are female. Not vocalists, cause that's easy, but proper knob-twiddling producers and synth operators.

So far I've got Delia Derbyshire, the obviously problematic Wendy Carlos, and a bunch of thereminists (it's kinda the harp of the synth world I guess) for the sixties and seventies. Then we've got Klymaxx, with a female keyboardist (but a male producer except when produced by...), Angela Winbush, Ivana Spagna (fairly doubtful) and some of ESG's stuff. But then I draw a blank.

So, any more tips on female knob-twiddlers from before the late eighties, or is this other thread I was reading right and synthesizer music is an expression of male psychosexuality?

Debaser
11-03-2007, 14:45:01
Didn't Kate Bush entirely produce most of her albums? Not sure she's exactly what you're after, but worth a mention maybe.

Scabrous Birdseed
11-03-2007, 15:09:47
Kate Bush has flashed past my mind yeah. Not least because Laz hates her. :D

Holly Knight, one of the most prolific songwriters of the eighties (from Love is a Battlefield to the theme from Angel that everyone liked one LWP) played keyboards and programmed synths on her solo albums and for her bands Spider and Device. I've actually got a Device album (I bought it for 35 p in a bargain bin) and it's, er, kinda Meatloaf-meets-Kim Wilde (ie. bad) but it might go in anyway.

Lazarus and the Gimp
11-03-2007, 19:22:13
You need the great Cosey Fanni Tutti, of Throbbing Gristle and Chris & Cosey fame.

And Laurie Anderson. "O Superman" has to feature.

Of more obscure ones, Danielle Dax springs to mind (though most of her stuff was rockier than you'd want).

Lazarus and the Gimp
11-03-2007, 19:25:08
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_female_electronic_musicians

Admittedly, most of those I've never heard of.

Scabrous Birdseed
11-03-2007, 20:08:51
I kept looking for a list like that - unfortunately this particular one seems to contail almost exclusively artists from the last twenty years. :(

Laurie Anderson does, indeed, have to feature. "Doh!"-type oversight.

Any Danielle Dax tracks specifically come to mind that would be towards the synthier end?

Scabrous Birdseed
11-03-2007, 20:14:15
Now this (http://www.hilarykinetic.com/) is the kind of stuff that's been annoying me throughout the search. Obviously brilliant woman, been experimenting with home-made synths and drum machines for years, writes excellent songs - and brings in a man to do the production and "additional synthesizer lines and all other instruments". She's probably going in anyway (download "Drop Your Pants", it's marvellous), but bah.

Scabrous Birdseed
14-03-2007, 21:12:28
Laz (or other TG experts), can someone help me narrow down what exactly Cosey did in TG and Chris & Cosey? At least one source on the web claims Chris was the one doing all the synths in the latter group.

Eklektikos
15-03-2007, 15:48:27
As a live act I remember Chris doing all the synths/computer whizzery on the one occasion I saw them (as Carter Tutti), but on record I have not the foggiest.

Scabrous Birdseed
15-03-2007, 16:09:18
I'm an hour away from broadcast so I've decided to include them anyway. There's lots and lots of caveats in this category - everyone seems to have a male co-producer, bandmate or producer. Plus for most of the pure eighties-blip blop genres, I've not found a single woman in control, no female-produced hi-nrg, italo or freestyle.

Here's the playlist, with caveats:

1. Clara Rockmore - Valse Sentimentale
2. Maryanne Amacher - Living Sound
3 Wendy Carlos - Brandenburg Concerto, No. 3 in G Major [Transsexual]
4. Delia Derbyshire - Quiz Time
5 ESG - Dance [Not electronic music, but minimal and stylistically fitting; male producer]
6 The Slits - Man Next Door [Ditto]
7 Kate Bush - The Dreaming
8 Enya - Watermark [Ugh! Enya, male co-producer]
9 Chris and Cosey - October Love Song [Male co-producer/performer]
10 Hilary - Drop Your Pants [Male producer/co-performer]
11 Warp 9 - Light years away [Male/female duo, different male/female producing couple]
12 Spider - Between The Lines [male producer, but female synth programmer]
13 Teena Marie - I Need Your Lovin' [not really electronic]
14 Angela Winbush - Thank You Love [outside the normal timeframe (1989)]
15 Laurie Anderson - O Superman (For Massenet)
16 Perdita - Do As I Like
17 Poly Styrene - Toytown

Scabrous Birdseed
15-03-2007, 16:16:15
So that's a bunch of classical musicians/performance artists, a library musician, one command-what-she-wants superstar, one bedroom maverick C64 scener and one feminist punk icon as the only ones with no caveats. That's fairly depressing.

King_Ghidra
15-03-2007, 16:16:34
ah Wendy Carlos :lol:

i have her stuff on the clockwork orange soundtrack, is the track above from that?

Scabrous Birdseed
15-03-2007, 16:23:13
Not sure, it's from "Switched On Bach" which is the first gold-selling electronic album back in 1968.

Oooh, I found this great Klymaxx track I've added in at the last minute. Playlist now reads:

1. Clara Rockmore - Valse Sentimentale
2. Maryanne Amacher - Living Sound
3 Wendy Carlos - Brandenburg Concerto, No. 3 in G Major [Transsexual]
4. Delia Derbyshire - Quiz Time
5 ESG - Dance [Not electronic music, but minimal and stylistically fitting; male producer]
6 The Slits - Man Next Door [Ditto]
7 Kate Bush - The Dreaming
8 Enya - Watermark [Ugh! Enya, male co-producer]
9 Chris and Cosey - October Love Song [Male co-producer/performer]
10 Hilary - Drop Your Pants [Male producer/co-performer]
11 Warp 9 - Light years away [Male/female duo, different male/female producing couple]
12 Spider - Between The Lines [male producer, but female synth programmer]
13 Klymaxx - Video Kid
14 Teena Marie - I Need Your Lovin' [not really electronic]
15 Angela Winbush - Thank You Love [outside the normal timeframe (1989)]
16 Laurie Anderson - O Superman (For Massenet)
17 Perdita - Do As I Like
18 Poly Styrene - Toytown