PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Mania

Scabrous Birdseed
10-02-2007, 14:49:02
I've always distrusted vinyl. Still, after getting a lovely turntable for christmas I've startied buying the stuff en masse. It's so cheap! In the last couple of weeks I've bought like 20 albums and 15 singles and payed a total of maybe ten quid. It's great!

MoSe
14-02-2007, 12:30:43
this shows your young age

before CD came out, it wasn't a matter of trust, vinyl was just state-of-the-art support material for mass selling records
of course theye were not the top in quality, but the alternative was very expensive and unpractical professional tape (reel, not cassettes)

now they've become old and cheap

I wonder how long before they complete the cycle to rare and collectible as are now bakelite 78rpm records

Scabrous Birdseed
14-02-2007, 18:14:21
People always went on about the superior sound quality and availability but I just didn't feel it. Now I realise that while the sound quality is slightly inferior (though not by much, and more in crispness than in depth) the availability of decent second-hand product is enormous, which matters now that I don't have as much money to spend.

MoSe
15-02-2007, 13:46:32
"Superior" sound quality? Vinyl???
:clueless:

true, one could claim that analogic preserves a fuller information over digital, but frankly, I'm glad to be over all the problems with scratches, friction noise, dust, static, durst, dust, dust, greasy smeary fingerprints, wearing out causing lowering of quality, having to change the pickup head....

I only regret the bigger size of the covers

btw, second hand, I think I had bought two copies of the triple Yessongs live album...
I could do without the older, so deeply grooved one that it could unroll just like those licorice ribbons....
;)

Diss
07-03-2007, 08:01:24
vinyle. :lol:

I only have a couple records my friend gave me. I guess because he didn't want them. Metal Church- The Dark. Ozzy Osbourne- Bark at the Moon.

I have nothing to play them on though. :)

King_Ghidra
07-03-2007, 09:48:14
man i used to laugh at the kid with Metal Church written on his bag at school

Diss
13-03-2007, 01:12:39
they were cool dammit! for like 2 albums anyways.

Scabrous Birdseed
13-03-2007, 21:38:59
Today's record-bin catch, all for 5 kr (55 eurocents) each:

F-R David - Words (very eighties, Jean Michel Jarre meets Chicago)
Mega Hits (vintage Discofox/Synth hits)
Nu Shooz - Told U So (mediocre freestyle)
Nancy Martinez - Not Just The Girl Next Door (brilliant, genre-busting freestyle, catch of the day)
Pseudo Echo - Love An Adventure (I honestly can't remember what this sounded like)
Mizz - Mizz (surprisingly soulful kiddie disco)
Teena Marie - Emerald City (her badly recieved serious album, apparently)
Modern Romance - Adventures in Clubland (I really don't know what to make of this one - ironic, bleach-white oldschool-slash-funk from 1981... I have a friend who'll really like it)
Modern Talking - The 1st Album (I had to own something by Dieter Bohlen!)
Humpe Humpe - Humpe Humpe (maybe some german could explain this to me?)
Angela Winbush - Sharp (shoe-in for my "self-produced women" thing in the other thread)
Star City - I'm a Man (just had to buy it for the album cover of a sweaty, open-shirted policeman leaning against a giant metal phallos)
Pink Project - Split (embarassment of the day)
PVC - Basic Colours (post-punk-ish? Can't remember exactly)
Don Disco Mix 2 (Spanish-made Italo/Balearic mix, excellent stuff)

15, about my usual haul. All for 70 kr.