PDA

View Full Version : Question about tasting stuff

Scabrous Birdseed
30-01-2007, 09:34:10
I'm trying to understand a strange aspect of contemporary culture.

Say someone hasn't tried some kind of food or drink before. Why is it that inevitably they always go for the worst-tasting version, say they don't like it, then stick to it?

Beer is the obvious example. Anyone who "doesn't like beer" is inevitably a drinker of cheap, nasty-tasting lager. Now, everyone who likes beer hates bad lager. Why would you, if you're new to something, start off with something every available authority dislikes and then stick to it, despite the foul taste?

There's a similar pattern with wine, coffee, cheese etc. Instead of starting with some delicacy, people start with something nasty and then claim to hate the foodstuff. No shit, I say.

MoSe
30-01-2007, 09:36:43
tell us everything

mr_G
30-01-2007, 09:38:39
when i drank my first beer(age of 6 i guess) i really hated the taste but hey the grown ups loved it and so i thought it was kewl.
Then there is the change in taste experience, a child loves sweet thingys and when they grow up they grow into new flavours.

damn now you made me look seriously serious

mr_G
30-01-2007, 09:39:49
better not feed a 2 year old the smelly bishop cheese

MoSe
30-01-2007, 09:43:45
tentativley asnewring SB's question:
maybe a beginner:
- is afraid top-scale products of that family will be wasted (moneywise too) for his ineducated palate?
- thinks that if he starts with the supposedly best of the kind, then he won't be able to expect and try anything better if he dislikes it?

btw, if you wanted to get into coprophagy, which shit would you start with?

MOBIUS
30-01-2007, 09:45:27
Scabby may be onto to something...

I decided I didn't like whiskey after tasting some crap like Johnny Walker Red Label. It wasn't until I tried the black Label and assorted Islay whiskies that I realised what I was missing!:beer:

Not that I drank the crap whiskies in the intervening period - there seemed little reason to drink something I didn't like...

MOBIUS
30-01-2007, 09:47:07
Originally posted by MoSe
btw, if you wanted to get into coprophagy, which shit would you start with?

:lol:

Brilliant 'anal' -ogy...

Scabrous Birdseed
30-01-2007, 09:49:05
Why not? I mean, cheap gouda (or whatever) is nasty.

From my perspective, I really dislike the flavour of coffee. Not just the drink, I mean, but mocha-flavoured chocolates, the works. My mother, when I was about 4, tried to make me like the taste by dipping sugar cubes in coffee and giving them to me, but I didn't like it.

Now, last year I decided to try strong, single Espresso made from quality beans. And it's great, I really like it, and it doesn't taste of what I thought of as coffee at all! It's strong, and complex, and marvellous. Why don't people start off with that instead of growing into it?

MOBIUS
30-01-2007, 09:51:34
Maybe because your parents are cheapskates and don't want to waste the good stuff on you?

I blame the parents!

MoSe
30-01-2007, 09:59:03
LOL, I actually don't exactly "like" espresso, only drink it for:
1. caffeine
2. caffeine
3. caffeine
4. helps regulating digestion
5. social/psychilogical habit (see #4, esp. after meals)

could I choose, I'd prefer to have... ENGLISH coffee!
I loved the one I got at Mike's parents house, and at the RT too
:o
When I used to drink it at home for a while, I preferred a big mug of Nescafé rather than a proper moka.
Too bad you can't get a proper English coffee in Italy!

but I love coffee-filled chocolates (Pocket Coffee), coffee Ice-cream (Coppa del Nonno :cute: ), and coffee liquors (kahlua, but better Caffè Sport Borghetti, a local brand)

Scabrous Birdseed
30-01-2007, 09:59:41
I blame myself. Why didn't I try the good stuff earlier? Because I thought it'd just taste roughly like the bad, easily-available stuff.

Inevitably, I think, almost nothing does.

It doesn't even have to be much more expensive. The price difference between a decently good wine/beer/coffee and a totally bad one is usually around 50% or less. With cheese or chocolate it's a bit different, with the latter very prohibitably priced if you've got no idea what you're doing, but still, if you're gonna try something, why not give a great on a go once? Even if it means buying a £5 bar of chocolate.

Diss
30-01-2007, 10:06:14
I had that problem with pussy. I started off with a fat, smelly chick. thought I didn't like it. But eventually moved up to less fat, less smelly chicks, and it's ok.

Funko
30-01-2007, 10:06:23
I pretty much totally agree with Scabby on this one. The bar of expensive chocolate might cost £5 but you only need to eat a square for the same chocolate kick as a whole bar of normal stuff.

When Tizzy and I started going to our local farmers market and buying meat and veg there I was shocked by just how much better it tasted (for only a little more money) than the shit you get in the supermarket.

MoSe
30-01-2007, 10:06:28
I remember when at 1983 New Year we got back from Paris with my gf, we asked in a normal shop the best Camembert they had, for almost immediate consumption, only costed about twice the ordinary Président one.
We opened it in the train couple hours later, it was brown, it was delicious, and the other passengers were blue in the face!
:lol:

King_Ghidra
30-01-2007, 10:08:10
:brwncard:

MoSe
30-01-2007, 10:10:02
Originally posted by Funko
When Tizzy and I started going to our local farmers market and buying meat and veg there I was shocked by just how much better it tasted (for only a little more money) than the shit you get in the supermarket.

Same goes with eating pizza in Naples vs anywhere else, including Italy.
It's just the taste and quality of the tomato and the mozzarella.