PDA

View Full Version : Duck Back from Dead...............Again

Resource Consumer
29-01-2007, 12:18:24
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6309159.stm

A duck which survived being shot before spending two days in a refrigerator has now overcome major surgery - despite briefly dying on the operating table.

Florida vets working to repair the gunshot damage to Perky's wing panicked when the duck's heart "flatlined".

But they managed to resuscitate the bird, who shot to fame when she was found alive in the hunter's fridge two days after being shot.

Perky now has a pin in her wing, but is expected to make a good recovery.

'She's alive!'

The duck entered surgery with vets confident that she would survive the procedure despite serious injuries to her wing, leg and beak.

But her heart failed during the operation, prompting senior vet David Hale to declare her officially dead.

"We lost her. You know, the bird's dead and it's over. I'm sorry," he said of the operating team's immediate reaction.

"And then, you know, up comes that head and the wings start flapping and, honestly, what, 20 seconds later, I mean the bird was, like, up."

There were scenes of high emotion in the operating theatre, said Noni Beck of the Goose Creek Wildlife Sanctuary.

"I started crying: 'She's alive!'"

Perky made international headlines when she shocked a hunter's wife who found her alive after being stored inside a refrigerator for two days.

Mr Hale said the duck's slow metabolism helped her survive the low temperatures for so long.

King_Ghidra
29-01-2007, 13:04:55
"And then, you know, up comes that head and the wings start flapping and, honestly, what, 20 seconds later, I mean the bird was, like, up."

so the vet was, like, 16 yrs old?

Funko
29-01-2007, 13:11:51
Why save the bird when you've gone to all the trouble of shooting it and kept it in the fridge for 2 days? Just finish it off and eat it. :confused:

Venom
29-01-2007, 13:16:45
Good thing they spent thousands of dollars of medical technology on a duck that someone wanted to kill.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
29-01-2007, 13:30:20
Is that another Dick Cheney incident?

MOBIUS
29-01-2007, 14:18:13
Or a Duck Cheney accident - at least that's what you do when he starts waving his shotgun around...

Resource Consumer
29-01-2007, 14:32:07
This is turning into turkey shoot

Dyl Ulenspiegel
29-01-2007, 15:56:07
Wolvowitz's amazing adventures?

MDA
29-01-2007, 18:13:23
I would have thought that they'd have plucked and gutted it before putting it in the fridge, but apparently not.

I suppose they could have plucked it, wouldn't that be a sight. :)

DaShi
30-01-2007, 02:32:27
Well, I think it's obvious. That duck is the anti-Christ!