mr_G
23-01-2007, 10:41:32
brilliantly brilliant movie, ja ja.

Fistandantilus
23-01-2007, 10:52:27
more than babel?

King_Ghidra
23-01-2007, 11:08:43
everything about the trailer screams 'don't watch me', but particularly leonardo di caprio doing a rhodesian accent

i'm not sure if i entirely agree with this guardian article (in fact it's quite typical of the guardian school of 'this film is politically offensive' journalism) but it's pretty interesting anyway

http://film.guardian.co.uk/features/featurepages/0,,1982608,00.html

mr_G
23-01-2007, 12:33:55
it's a brilliant film (Babel is bettah) and Leo does some seriously serious acting.

ja ja

go and watch for yourself KG, i hate reviews

Resource Consumer
29-01-2007, 10:11:19
the accent sounds excruciating

Colon
29-01-2007, 10:27:56
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
everything about the trailer screams 'don't watch me', but particularly leonardo di caprio doing a rhodesian accent

i'm not sure if i entirely agree with this guardian article (in fact it's quite typical of the guardian school of 'this film is politically offensive' journalism) but it's pretty interesting anyway

http://film.guardian.co.uk/features/featurepages/0,,1982608,00.html

That review is terrific. :D

"In Blood Diamond, Leonardo DiCaprio is the latest in a long line of Caucasian crusaders fighting for po' black folks. "

Neatly sums up the feelings I have towards such moralistic flicks.

"If there is anything black people the world over have learned from Hollywood - and there isn't a whole lot - it's that no matter how bleak the situation seems, they can always rely on some resourceful, charismatic and, in some instances, shapely white person to bail them out."

Wit: 8.5/10
Humour: 9/10

"Blood Diamond joins a growing body of films set in Africa in which good vanquishes evil because morally upstanding white folks ultimately triumph over truly satanic white folks. Meanwhile, the entire black African population kind of takes a back seat and watches the honkies duke it out."

No mercy for the finger-waggers!

"Zwick would thus have us believe that in a society ravaged by a murderous civil war, where black children are routinely kidnapped and induced to murder other black children, after being shot up with heroin purchased with conflict diamonds from horrible white people from out of town, the man who will ultimately bring the villains to justice is a formally depraved Rhodesian mercenary who now prefers justice and racial harmony to wealth. Hmmm, say I to Mr Zwick. Hmmm!"

Oh oh oh... SLAM DUNK.

paiktis
30-01-2007, 23:15:51
Bullshit review if I may say so.
I saw the film today and it was brilliant. I don't care about some journalist's petty crusade against what he sees as preconstructed societal models or whatever.

The film plunges you, realistically, to a situation you would never ordinarely have witnessed. Well if you are some movie freak then maybe you would, but leonardo's presence makes sure this film is seen by lots of other people and can carry the financial weight to be breath taking as well as original and un conventional in its subject.

About the "white guy" saving the day, this phrase is a huge injustice to the real appeal and content of the film.

Go and see it, it's a very good story, given in a great way and you'd just get a little bit closer to what happens in Africa.

Now if someone wants to actually get some in depth knowledge rather than a "feeling" of it, there are books. The film does a great job of giving a surface picture of the reality. But even that would be almost inapprochable for the mainstream movie goer.

paiktis
30-01-2007, 23:17:56
(btw about the multiple backstabbings going on at work, I found a new phrase: T.I.A :D)

Colon
05-02-2007, 15:59:42
Why are you talking about the story in present time? The civil war ended 6 years ago and the Kimberley Process to control the origin of diamonds was installed 4 years ago.

Mr. Bas
05-02-2007, 16:13:22
And ofcourse, since then all violence in Africa has ceased and no such diamonds can be traded anymore.

Colon
05-02-2007, 16:43:24
1. Not all of Africa is at war.
2. Not in all of Africa there are diamonds.
3. Those parts of Africa in which fighting is taking place do not particularly correlate with those in which you can find diamonds.
4. Since the movie depicts a pre-Kimberly Process period, it is logically impossible to deduce from it that the mechanism isn't working.
5. And yeah, things have certainly been calming down in Sierra-Leone and the wider West-Africa region ever since fuckhead Taylor got booted.

Mr. Bas
06-02-2007, 09:21:29
The particular story might not be possible post-Kimberley, and I agree that things seem to calm down a bit in West Africa. However, it's a bit naive to pretend this does not happen anymore, in particular with the still volatile situations in Congo, Ivory Coast (the north is still rebel territory) and other countries in the region.

Scabrous Birdseed
06-02-2007, 10:24:00
There are no states nearly as weak and splintered as Sierra Leone was thuough. We used to have Sierra Leone as our textboox example in my international relations class.

maroule
06-02-2007, 10:40:14
alongside Belgium

Greg W
07-02-2007, 10:44:09
Excellent movie! Yeah, yeah, the civil war may have ended 6 years ago, and the Kimberley process introduced 4 years ago...

But does this mean we can learn nothing from the past? That it has no meaning to pass on to us? No lessons to be learnt? That we should now accept that the entire diamond trade is free of such practices now?

One would be incredibly naive to believe any of those things.

Colon
09-02-2007, 04:10:10
Originally posted by Greg W
But does this mean we can learn nothing from the past? That it has no meaning to pass on to us? No lessons to be learnt?

Sure, we could install control mechanisms to verify the origin of diamonds, like the Kimberly Process...

Seriously, you argue we can "learn" something from that movie, but you won't believe a control mechanism helps, so what's the fucking point?

The diamond sector in Antwerp invited DiCaprio weeks ago to see for himself how diamonds are controlled for their origin. So far, he hasn't had the balls to respond. Much easier to wag your finger.

Mr. Bas
09-02-2007, 10:50:58
05:10? At least have the decency to make a drunk post at that time. :hmm:

Greg W
09-02-2007, 22:01:22
Originally posted by Colon
but you won't believe a control mechanism helps, so what's the fucking point?Glad you're here to point out what I will and won't believe.

MOBIUS
10-02-2007, 00:20:25
Colon's just pissed that his home town was implicated in the trafficking of Blood Diamonds...:p

Cool movie BTW.

Colon
12-02-2007, 03:22:12
Sentiments of self-interest on my side are by far outweighted by my general loathing of finger-waggers and finger-wagging movies. If one feels educated by that movie, it somewhat leads me to suspect that the person didn't have a clue what was going on at the time itself.

MOBIUS
12-02-2007, 11:38:04
I'd say most people didn't. So if it educates people that Antwerp is the HQ for evil conflict diamond mercenary cartels and their child soldier recruiting lackeys - then the world is a better place...:cute:

Best line: Some old guy in a devastated village full of murdered civilians, worried that DiCrapio's character was looking for oil...

"Imagine if they found oil here, then there would be trouble!":lol:

Greg W
12-02-2007, 20:02:29
Nope, I didn't have a clue what was going on at the time. Time given to African issues by Australian Media? Little to none.

Colon
17-02-2007, 19:49:46
Unfassbar.

Fistandantilus
14-03-2007, 13:00:02
Originally posted by mr_G
brilliantly brilliant movie, ja ja.

Finally saw it yesterday. I liked it better than Babel :D

mr_G
19-03-2007, 22:50:20
:lol: assswaaip