PDA

View Full Version : Little Game

paiktis
18-01-2007, 14:59:01
there is this greek band of the 1980's with a very kick ass sound dirty rockabilly style. It was called The Last Drive. They are disbanded now. Their first album was, as I heard, only composed of revisions of other songs.
I will write down the names of the songs.

If someone knows the original band who did them, say so.
Some songs are rather well known (i would think) others not. and some will be impossible to guess because the title just will not be enough

The cd is called Underworld Shakedown btw.

Me 'n my wings
valley of death
poison
misirlou
the fire inside
blue moon
sidewalk stroll
the shade of fever
every night
the night of the phantom
repulsion

just give it a try if they ring a bell.

Resource Consumer
19-01-2007, 15:00:49
Wasn't Sidewalk Stroll the Stray Cats?

Gramercy Riffs
19-01-2007, 15:06:15
Poison - Alice Cooper?

Though that was late 80's, it depends when this band where around.

Eklektikos
19-01-2007, 15:07:57
Isn't Misirlou actually a traditional near eastern song? Albeit one that took remarkably well to being covered by Dick Dale...

paiktis
19-01-2007, 15:50:25
I should add that I don't know the origin but of only two songs with any certainty. That's why I'm asking you. So I could find out more about the bands behind them.

Ok.

1. I tried to find the lyrics of Sidewalk Stroll be the Stray Cats (I know the band) so I could try and compare it but nothing came up...

2. Nope. The song "Poison" is not the one of Alice Cooper. Underworld Shakedown came out in 1986.

3. Yes! Misirlou is a traditional "near east" song. And it is this one they have made a revision of. That's one of the two songs I know about. Dick Dale's version and The Last Drive's are almost identical but Dick Dale's version is cleaner. I thought Last Drive's version was done before Dick Dale's but after some search I found that Dale did the revision of Misirlou in the 1960's. (and it was afterwards, in 1994 that it was used for Pulp Fiction)
I found more information here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misirlou

Also, Blue Moon is an electrifying psychobilly version of the well known song that goes "blue moon, you saw me standing alone,
without a dream in my heart etc". It was originally sung by Frank Sinatra I think. Am I right? (that's the second song I know something about)

Scabrous Birdseed
19-01-2007, 17:02:09
Well, Blue Moon is a jazz standard which has been recorded loads of times - most famously by The Marcels in 1961 but it's at least 25 years older than that. (Wikipedia says 1934 and not Frank Sinatra.)

Scabrous Birdseed
19-01-2007, 17:02:31
"Poison" has to be Britney Spears though, right?

paiktis
19-01-2007, 17:56:41
If only it was as easy.
Thanks about the info on Blue Moon!