PDA

View Full Version : Wee for Wii

maroule
16-01-2007, 16:42:52
actually, I don't find that funny

Woman dies after Wii contest
28-year-old who took part in 'hold your wee for a Wii' radio show competition dies of likely water intoxication, reports AP.
By Emma Boyes, GameSpot UK
Posted Jan 15, 2007 5:29 pm PT
Mother-of-three Jennifer Strange was hoping to win one of Nintendo's next-gen consoles for her children. But the KDND 107.9 radio show contest she took part in had a tragic end when the woman was found dead in her Rancho Cordova, California, home.

Coroner Ed Smith, performing a preliminary investigation, found evidence that was "consistent with a water intoxication death."

The winner of the Wii game console was to be the person who managed to not go to the toilet for the longest amount of time, despite consuming large quantities of water. Contestants had to drink an eight-ounce bottle of water every 15 minutes--one quit after five bottles. In the later stages of the competition, the remaining entrants were given even bigger bottles to drink.

It is not yet clear how much water Ms Strange consumed. She told a colleague after the contest that she felt sick, and had a "really bad" headache. The woman was later found dead in her suburban home. It is not known if Ms Strange succeeded in winning the console.

A spokesperson for the radio station commented, "We are awaiting information that will help explain how this tragic event occurred."

mr_G
16-01-2007, 16:45:21
actually, I do find that funny and stooopid

Colon
16-01-2007, 16:49:25
What's the latest global sales figures for Wii anyway? Can we declare them to be the (moral) winner of this round yet?

King_Ghidra
16-01-2007, 16:53:57
in the US, for 2006, it was something like 10 million 360's sold, 7.5 million wii sold, just under 1 million ps3's sold

maroule
16-01-2007, 16:57:53
yep, they're pretty much the moral winner so far in my book
any platform that can get my wife to game has to be

King_Ghidra
16-01-2007, 16:58:01
in japan, i saw figures saying about 1.2 million wii sold since launch, about half that in ps3's sold since launch, and about 350k 360's sold since launch a year ago

fp
16-01-2007, 18:09:05
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
in the US, for 2006, it was something like 10 million 360's sold, 7.5 million wii sold, just under 1 million ps3's sold

Given the differing amounts of time the three were actually available for sale those stats don't really mean much. But you know that.

MDA
16-01-2007, 18:45:58
:( heard about this, not good to die trying to win your kids a video game - and I can't believe no one at the radio station thought to ask "is this a safe thing to do?"

Dyl Ulenspiegel
16-01-2007, 18:48:35
So a Jennifer Strange died from h2o poisoning? :hmm:

MDA
16-01-2007, 18:50:02
my work email is posted publically, and I don't have that problem

maybe the emails on dot.gov sites are avoided by spammers

Drekkus
16-01-2007, 19:05:30
What?? :confused:

Lurker the Second
16-01-2007, 19:39:51
I wouldn't want to be that radio station's insurer.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
16-01-2007, 20:26:25
That's so Jo;nh Mukker

Chris
17-01-2007, 10:54:27
You really have to be pretty stupid to die for a Nintendo product.

MOBIUS
17-01-2007, 11:11:54
Internal drowning?

Immortal Wombat
17-01-2007, 11:26:19
Originally posted by MDA
:( heard about this, not good to die trying to win your kids a video game - and I can't believe no one at the radio station thought to ask "is this a safe thing to do?"

Apparently
An audio recording of the show indicates at least one disc jockey knew there was some danger. "Can't you get water poisoning and, like, die?" Trish, the Morning Rave disc jockey, said 16 minutes into Friday's show. Her concerns were dismissed by another DJ. [link (http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/109101.html)]

MDA
17-01-2007, 11:41:00
Originally posted by MDA
my work email is posted publically, and I don't have that problem

maybe the emails on dot.gov sites are avoided by spammers

umm... why is this response in this thread?

were you all wondering too, or did you brush it off as more madman ravings?

NAHN:nervous:

Tizzy
17-01-2007, 11:57:33
I just figured you had a Drekkus moment.

Drekkus
17-01-2007, 12:07:26
Originally posted by MDA
umm... why is this response in this thread?

were you all wondering too, or did you brush it off as more madman ravings?

NAHN:nervous: I was, yes. The post fairies must have replaced it from another thread to here.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
17-01-2007, 12:38:32
I compensated for that mishap by answering in the thread.

Venom
17-01-2007, 12:54:10
7.5 million Wiis? That seems a bit high.

Funko
17-01-2007, 13:16:59
http://nexgenwars.com/

Colon
17-01-2007, 13:19:12
Is that just 2006? The 360 figures don't seem right.

Colon
17-01-2007, 13:20:59
Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii) says +2.8 million for Wii. And since this is a wiki-article that actually contains a host of references I believe wiki.

Colon
17-01-2007, 13:28:02
Hmm, wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360) also confirms Funko's 360 sales figures. Given 360 headstart, Wii's sales are astonishing.

Colon
17-01-2007, 13:30:30
Everybody pii on Sony. Christ.

Venom
17-01-2007, 13:56:36
There are 2 keys for the Wii going forward.

#1) They've got to keep getting non-gamers, like maroule's whore-wife, interested. Which they should be able to continue doing just on hype alone.

#2) They've got to have developers actually figure out that controller and make good games based around it. not just the novelty shit they have for ight now.

The Mad Monk
17-01-2007, 18:14:44
Jan 16, 10:11 PM EST

Radio Show Pulled After Woman's Death

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) -- A radio station fired three morning disc jockeys and seven other employees Tuesday after a woman died from drinking nearly two gallons of water in a contest.

The hosts of KDND-FM's "Morning Rave" were fired a day after the station announced it was suspending the show and investigating the death of 28-year-old Jennifer Lea Strange.

She died Friday after drinking the water in an attempt to win a Nintendo Wii, competing to see who could drink the most water without going to the bathroom.

John Geary, vice president and general manager of KDND's parent company, Entercom/Sacramento, announced that 10 employees were fired.

Strange died of water intoxication, according to a preliminary autopsy. Drinking large quantities of water rapidly can cause brain swelling and lead to seizures, coma and death.

The county sheriff's office said it was not investigating.

2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BRF_WATER_INTOXICATION?SITE=7219&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2007-01-16-15-49-13

JM^3
17-01-2007, 18:33:39
People need to be responsible. Including Radio show people.

Of the new consols, I am most likely to buy a Wii.

JM

Dyl Ulenspiegel
17-01-2007, 18:38:32
Why don't you try winning one in a contest?

Chris
17-01-2007, 21:50:33
How about a contest where you can't shit and have to keep eating beans.

Oerdin
17-01-2007, 23:47:20
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
in japan, i saw figures saying about 1.2 million wii sold since launch, about half that in ps3's sold since launch, and about 350k 360's sold since launch a year ago

World wide figures are the only ones which matter.

Scabrous Birdseed
18-01-2007, 06:25:03
Well, no, if a machine does badly in Japan there won't be any quirky platformers featuring animals with oversized heads for it.

maroule
18-01-2007, 08:09:20
Originally posted by Venom
like maroule's whore-wife

please, in the future, keep insulting me, and not her

Oerdin
18-01-2007, 08:30:33
Originally posted by JM^3
People need to be responsible. Including Radio show people.

Of the new consols, I am most likely to buy a Wii.

JM

The Wii seems to be designed for kids or for people who don't like playing video games. I haven't owned a game console since the 1980's and I'm not likely to buy one now but if I was to buy one then it would be the X-Box 360. It's simply the best console out there today.

Colon
18-01-2007, 08:34:10
Game councillors are so hard to bribe these days.

maroule
18-01-2007, 08:50:58
Originally posted by Oerdin
The Wii seems to be designed for kids or for people who don't like playing video games. I haven't owned a game council since the 1980's and I'm not likely to buy one now but if I was to buy one then it would be the X-Box 360. It's simply the best council out there today.

I wonder how many people buy both, like myself (and other people here, like KG maybe or SB?). I'd like to see some statistics on that.

The demographics of gamers has changed, and people in their 30's able to indulge have been fed with video games all along. Throwing a 700 to 1000 euros a year on games, if it's your main entertainment, is no big deal for this category. Then the pattern becomes to buy one high tech console (360 in priority, mainly because it came out first), then the Wii, because it's more of a social experience to share with non gamers.

The problem of the PS3 will be how to fit in this landscape: owners of a 360 (aka first movers) won't be rushed to buy an expensive device for a use (high end graphics, etc) they already satisfy.

I suppose you would consider doubling your 360 with a PS3 only if
- you wanted a HDVD player // but this market shows no sign of taking off yet, and is clearly suffering from the lack of visibility of the standards war + you can buy one for the 360 as well, with the advantage of not filling up too much the storage space under the TV, already crammed full + there is only one HDTV connection port in most new tvs, so I suspect you can only plug one system there -but I'm not sure-

- if the game line up was strong enough to justify buying the console on its own (basically the only way the original xbox managed to get some traction on the market with Halo) : that is clearly not the case now

So my intuition is to think there will be a lot of 360+Wii combinations, a few PS3+Wii, but very few 360+PS3

(I'm leaving out the market of Sony enthusiasts who haven't yet bought a 360, and have been living on cold turkey for more than a year.)

Funko
18-01-2007, 09:14:11
I had a Playstation and a PS2 but I'm undecided what, if any, next gen console I want to get. I'll probably get one at some point when the prices have come down but I want to see what happens ps3 vs X-box in the longer term. I think X-Box 360 is miles ahead at the moment but the PS3 isn't even out here yet.

I do think that they've moved into a price range with the PS3 where it's too expensive as a buy just for one amazing game. The 360 at 200 could bring in sales with a killer game but if the PS3 is coming in at 400 that'd have to be an unbelievably good game. Yes, the 360 HDVD drive costs another 200 but you can always buy that later or not buy one at all if you don't need it.

Summary: currently undecided, but most likely to go 360 and/or Wii unless things change radically.

Colon
18-01-2007, 09:21:20
Let the Game Council decide.

fp
18-01-2007, 10:53:13
Originally posted by Funko
I had a Playstation and a PS2 but I'm undecided what, if any, next gen console I want to get. I'll probably get one at some point when the prices have come down but I want to see what happens ps3 vs X-box in the longer term. I think X-Box 360 is miles ahead at the moment but the PS3 isn't even out here yet.

I do think that they've moved into a price range with the PS3 where it's too expensive as a buy just for one amazing game. The 360 at 200 could bring in sales with a killer game but if the PS3 is coming in at 400 that'd have to be an unbelievably good game. Yes, the 360 HDVD drive costs another 200 but you can always buy that later or not buy one at all if you don't need it.

Summary: currently undecided, but most likely to go 360 and/or Wii unless things change radically.

QFT.

I'm mostly interested in JRPG's though, so I think the PS3 will be the best system for me in the long run. I'm reserving judgment though. Neither the 360 or PS3 really sound very appealing to me at present. The games seem mostly just boring clones of the FPS and driving games we've been playing for the past ten years.

maroule
18-01-2007, 11:53:13
with much better graphics, interface, the benefit of 10 years of feedback from players, etc.

but yeah, Pong was fun

Funko
18-01-2007, 12:33:23
The X-Box brand has only been around a few years and the makers of games for PS2/X-Box presumably have exactly the same insights into gameplay as 360 and PS3 developers. Are there any other specific examples of benefits in the way the consoles are designed that improve games? The main benefits seem to be an interesting controller on the Wii and much better online support in terms of demos, downloads, buying new games etc. Things we have been used to for years on the PC. Is there anything else built into the design that fundamentally alters things?

Funko
18-01-2007, 12:36:47
And I would say that these criticisms were also totally true of the Playstation -> PS2/X-Box transition and I waited for the price to come down there as well.

maroule
18-01-2007, 12:40:30
Post Mortem (literally) on the first story

Wii-contest radio station fires 10 staff
KDND 107.9's Morning Rave off air indefinitely after the death of a woman in a water-drinking competition.
By Emma Boyes, GameSpot UK
Posted Jan 17, 2007 3:56 am PT
A California radio station has fired 10 employees, including five on-air personalities, after Jennifer Strange, a mother of three, died following her participation in a "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" competition, reports the Sacramento Bee. The 28-year-old died of water intoxication, having consumed an estimated two gallons of water in an attempt to win a Nintendo console for her children. The winner of the contest was to be the person who managed to drink the most water without going to the bathroom.

Strange called into her office after the show and told a coworker that she had a "really bad" headache and would be going straight home. She was found dead in her Rancho Cordova home on Friday afternoon by her mother, who had gone to check on her after being contacted by the concerned coworker.

The DJs had made comments joking about people dying from water intoxication during the show, according to the Sacramento Bee. There was even a discussion about a "poor kid in college"--presumably Matthew Carrington, who also died from water intoxication after a fraternity hazing ritual. One person dismissed the link by saying, "Yeah, well, he was doing other things." During the show, one DJ also admitted, "Maybe we should have researched this."

Two hours into the contest, a female caller, who identified herself as Eva, phoned in to warn the radio station that drinking too much water can kill. She said, "Those people that are drinking all that water can get sick and possibly die from water intoxication." One DJ replied, "We are aware of that," while another added, "They signed releases, so we're not responsible. It's OK."

Twenty contestants took part in the competition, including Strange, who was the runner-up. Other participants said that they became concerned when one woman lay on the ground, with her teeth chattering, and looking pale. At one point Strange was lying on the ground but told staff that she "could probably drink more" if someone could pick her up.

Despite the sackings, the Sacramento County Sheriff John McGinness said that there would not be a criminal investigation. He said, "It's not as if she was somehow in their custody and they had a role to care for her. Rather, it was an invitation to a contest that was clearly ill-advised. She was exercising her free will."

A notice on the radio station's Web site stated that an investigation was underway. It reads, "First and foremost, our thoughts and sympathies go out to Jennifer's family and loved ones. I also want to assure you that the circumstances regarding this matter are being examined as thoroughly as possible. We are doing everything we can to deal with this difficult situation in a manner that is both respectful and responsible

maroule
18-01-2007, 12:54:39
Originally posted by Funko
The X-Box brand has only been around a few years and the makers of games for PS2/X-Box presumably have exactly the same insights into gameplay as 360 and PS3 developers. Are there any other specific examples of benefits in the way the consoles are designed that improve games? The main benefits seem to be an interesting controller on the Wii and much better online support in terms of demos, downloads, buying new games etc. Things we have been used to for years on the PC. Is there anything else built into the design that fundamentally alters things?

I don't think the next gen will specifically boost innovation (more people playing, and some crazy ideas (wii like) will) but that not why I bought it. However, saying next gen game are just boring clones of former games is to ignore a major aspect of why people buy it: the "user experience"

To me it's all in the comfort of use, and it pretty much exists only if you have a HDTV. Playing PES6 on your PC (even with a large monitor) or on a large screen HDTV in you living room is just not, by any means, the same experience. That's why I got a 360.

Funko
18-01-2007, 12:57:03
Yeah, that's what I meant about it being like the PS to PS2/X-box transition. This time though, I don't have a HDTV so one of the major selling points is lost on me.