PDA

View Full Version : Existentialism

Greg W
08-01-2007, 09:06:43
Weird, I had heard the word a few times, but never really paid attention ot it nor its meaning. Then I looked it up, and turns out I've been a closet existentialist for years. :beer:

Hmm, I suppose that means I am out of the closet now. In a non-pink shirt wearing kind of way. :nervous:

maroule
08-01-2007, 09:56:59
I remember reading Existentialism Is A Humanism at 17 (not by choice, it was on the philosophy program) and thinking it was pretty cool... however, considering Sartre was a marxists bastard and despised my favorite author (Camus), I'm sure I was wrong

Fergus & The Brazen Car
08-01-2007, 12:24:41
Originally posted by maroule
I remember reading Existentialism Is A Humanism at 17 (not by choice, it was on the philosophy program) and thinking it was pretty cool... however, considering Sartre was a marxists bastard and despised my favorite author (Camus), I'm sure I was wrong

I remember reading the same in a book in English when I was doing my 'O' level revision.

It was a hardback with a cover photo of a smoke wreathed Sartre at a Viet Nam war crimes tribunal.

I don't think that in terms of style he's as good a writer as either Camus or de Beauvoir, and certainly as a novelist, he lacks the skill of either of them.

I still enjoyed 'La Nausee' and 'Huis Clos' although 'Les Chemins de la Liberte' drags after the 2nd volume.

A friend recently introduced me to a Czech dissident who'd met Sartre and de Beauvoir in Paris in the late 60s and 70s. He said Sartre was a shit and couldn't quite fathom why the dissidents were so anti-Commie.

Well, duh!

MoSe
08-01-2007, 12:40:14
F&TBC, have you ever heard of

X-FEAR! :shoot:

MoSe
08-01-2007, 12:40:47
(no it has nothing to do with staurophobia)

Fergus & The Brazen Car
08-01-2007, 12:41:44
I never wanted to be Betty Grable.

maroule
08-01-2007, 12:49:21
Originally posted by Fergus & The Brazen Car

I still enjoyed 'La Nausee' and 'Huis Clos' although 'Les Chemins de la Liberte' drags after the 2nd volume.

he was a pretty good theater writer, yes
As a philosopher, he is generally despised here (by people seriously into that, he's still admired by the left wing)

King_Ghidra
08-01-2007, 13:36:19
writing-wise, loved The Age of Reason, but hated Nausea

philosophy-wise, i've gota lot of time for existentialism. i'm not a believer in an ordered universe, or god or any such thing. i like the emphasis on the individual, finding his own path in an illogical uncaring world.

sartre said something about people being unhappy because they had false expectations that life would mean happiness. that's a big message for me, i'm constantly surprised by how surprised people are that life often sucks.

MOBIUS
08-01-2007, 13:42:46
And we're not the ones living in poverty in the 3rd World either.

devilmunchkin
08-01-2007, 21:23:00
that was a big thing for me in high school. SInce then i've stopped caring about what philosophy I identify with the most.

Immortal Wombat
08-01-2007, 22:16:58
continental philosophy is such bollocks.

Greg W
09-01-2007, 05:20:12
Taking into account that I haven't read a book on anything even vaguelly close to the topic at hand, and thus my understanding is probably very slight...

The odd thing is that I have no problem with the concept of a god. Just not one that has this plan which we're all following. Self determination, and the fact we're all responsible for our own actions.

maroule
09-01-2007, 08:25:52
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
continental philosophy is such bollocks.

why, you have philosophers in England? :eek:
I thought you only had shop keepers

Scabrous Birdseed
09-01-2007, 08:45:50
There used to be one in Scotland but he died.

Immortal Wombat
09-01-2007, 10:01:57
most of the department here are imported bootlegs from eastern europe.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
09-01-2007, 10:58:31
Originally posted by maroule
why, you have philosophers in England? :eek:
I thought you only had shop keepers

Better than those ninnies Julia Kristeva and Bernard Henri-Levy. :lol:

The best thing Henri-Levy ever did was get a flan in the face from Georges le Gloupier.

Vive Noel Godin!

http://www.jaybabcock.com/observer.html

French philosophy, like French literature and literary criticism, lost its way in many respects in the Sixties and Seventies. At least there were still good French film makers and designers.

I recall a literary debate in my university between the French and English faculties- the way the French department's lecturers and professors approached 'texts', one might hav ethought that no human agency had been involved in the creation of them.

'Focalisation' ? In me hole, as molly bloom might say.

:lol:

Vive la belle France !

A bas les fleumps !